trying to think... stuff to burn for programs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
i'm helping out my uncle fix his win 98 pII machine... and well, i thought i would be nice and give him some software updates since i formatted his fubar'ed machine.

i have:

ie6
firefox
avg free + latest update file
adaware + latest update
winamp
win media player 9 (10 is only for xp)
winzip

can anyone think of anything else? I have to burn this to a cd (the machine doesn't even have a network card) so i'd like to get everything useful for an aver 45yr old who doesn't know dick about computers and his 13 yr old daughter piling it up with gay screen savers and other bs...

I don't know what they like to do with the computer...

Microsoft Office Suite
Photoshop
Real player/quick time player
Adobe reader
codec packs for WMP
Roxio/Nero to burn CDs
Latest version of AIM/ICQ
PC Chilin/Norton Antivirus/Macafee

Thats just stuff off the top of my head that I can think of and its been a long long week.

I say to add some stuff like AIM because his daughter is obviously going to install it and its better if you just go ahead, burn it, and install it, so she doesn't have to touch stuff and fuck with the computer. If you set the programs up correctly and give her what she wants before she gets a chance to go and download a million things on her own and install and uninstall like a moron, you're taking premptive preventitive steps.

they use AOL, so aim isn't necessary..
no cd burner, so no burners are necessary.
i have a real office cd, so thats taken care of.

codecs, acrobat, real, qt.. i forgot about :) thanks

avg > McCrappy and norton so virus scanning is ok.

also just thought of flash and shockwave players and java

You must not like him, giving him RealPlayer :p

Gmail with Gmail notifier :)
Outlook (not sure if it comes with MS Office)
Adaware SE, Hijack This!, etc.

Hijack this is not for someone that doesn't know dick about computers, you can easily say bye bye to yours if you don't know how to use it.

You have enough, as far as basics go, maybe winRAR, a light firewall, dump Realplayer, that's just mean.

Zone Alarm, and a good Anti-Virus setup, perhaps you could get him to spend the $11.99 a year for updates for Norton. Oh yeah, and teach him to set-up a separate account for his 13yr old.

Nortons = teh garbage. Avast, F-Secure, AVG are all better and WAY less intrusive then that, not to mention....free. (well, I don't think F-Secure is free, but if I had to pay for an antivirus, I'd choose it over Nortons anyday of the week.)

i gave them real alternative and quicktime alternative :p come on now... you expect me to give you the real thing that sucks?

I was going to give them open office instead of ms office, but decided with her in highschool now, she'll be using it for papers and such, so i wouldn't want to confuse her that much... "I DONT HAVE WORD" phone calls suck. lol

Don't forget the obligatory RollerCoaster Tycoon and The Sims since she's in High School.

lol

If you wanna help him....buy my old MB/CPU/RAM combo i just took out this morning...

CHaintech 7NJL6 Socket A AMD Duron/Athlon XP 200/266/333/400MHz FSB, ATX, NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400/nForce2 400 Ultra 400 + MCPS

1 gig pc2100 ram

Amd Duron 1.6ghz CPU

take it all for $50 bucks..its all assembled on theboard

I just upgraded to a

Asus k8v deluxe socket 754
Amd Ahtlon 64 3000+
1 gig pc3200 400hmz ram

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 24 2005, 09:36 AM
fuck him, i'll take that! lol

i'll call you tonight :)
[post=544467]Quoted post[/post]​

haha ok

AVG? I've heard of them, but never tried it. I need some new AV for my home machine. How is it free? Their website looks like it's a trial, then you have to pay for it.

Also, any other good Adaware-type programs out there that aren't trials? My Adaware expired. :(

[/hijack]

EDIT: Never mind, found the free AVG software. But what about something to scan/kill spyware?

adaware is still free dude....

get it off of download.com

they hid the link on their lavasoft website for the free one pretty good...

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Aug 24 2005, 03:43 PM
AVG? I've heard of them, but never tried it. I need some new AV for my home machine. How is it free? Their website looks like it's a trial, then you have to pay for it.

Also, any other good Adaware-type programs out there that aren't trials? My Adaware expired. :(

[/hijack]

EDIT: Never mind, found the free AVG software. But what about something to scan/kill spyware?
[post=544471]Quoted post[/post]​

http://www.demonoid.com/torrents/details/126294/
http://www.demonoid.com/torrents/details/177097/

you don't need anything to kill spyware if you never get any in the first place.

getfirefox.com and never deal with that BS agani

Back