tuning a b20 with a safc

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well as it says here is my setup. im runing a b20b and a ls ecu i also have a set of accel 290s my only main cuestion is what type of af/r should i be looking to go for i know that i want it to be about 11.5 with nitrous but what about just regular driving i have a zetronics wideband and t does do data loging rpm/load/afr any help would be great

thanks

phunky.buddha

Admin
VIP
For regular driving you can stay in the low 15s for ratio- up above 50% throttle and in the upper revs is where you need to start looking at getting your fueling into the rich area.

posol

Staff member
idel is fine in the 16's... but i wouldn't aim for the 15's even at part throttle... but what do i know... i've only tuned 1 car. lol

phunky.buddha

Admin
VIP
Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Jul 13 2005, 02:14 PM-->
idel is fine in the 16's... but i wouldn't aim for the 15's even at part throttle... but what do i know... i've only tuned 1 car. lol
[post=525576]Quoted post[/post]​

Part throttle is fine in the 15s- no big deal at all.

97hatch
@Jul 13 2005, 03:51 PM
lol so what numbers should i be looking for at 50%+
[post=525667]Quoted post[/post]​

Slowly ramp your a/f ratio numbers down from stoichiometric through to mid 12s at full throttle. Make it a smooth transition. After you're done tuning without nitrous, turn on the juice and make sure you're able to run just below 12:1.

ok, to tune with an safc do you need a wideband, I understand it's going to be a more acurate tune, but do you need a wideband. it is mandatory.

one more question, could you say... borrow someones wideband, tune with it then uninstall it?

Originally posted by brian11to1@Jul 14 2005, 04:33 PM
ok, to tune with an safc do you need a wideband, I understand it's going to be a more acurate tune, but do you need a wideband. it is mandatory.

one more question, could you say... borrow someones wideband, tune with it then uninstall it?
[post=526329]Quoted post[/post]​

For a good tune, yes, a wideband is mandatory, regardless of whether you have a SAFC or standalone.

And yes you can borrow someone's wide band, tune, then uninstall. I'd just go to the dyno though. I assume dyno's hookup a wideband when you pay for the dyno time. I have a wideband though, so I have the tools to effectively tune it without the dyno. But dyno is THE best way to tune.

Originally posted by MikeBergy+Jul 14 2005, 08:14 PM-->
brian11to1
@Jul 14 2005, 04:33 PM

For a good tune, yes, a wideband is mandatory, regardless of whether you have a SAFC or standalone.

And yes you can borrow someone's wide band, tune, then uninstall. I'd just go to the dyno though. I assume dyno's hookup a wideband when you pay for the dyno time. I have a wideband though, so I have the tools to effectively tune it without the dyno. But dyno is THE best way to tune.
[post=526343]Quoted post[/post]​

Interested in a road trip to Avondale, AZ? Food, Lodge... all that shit... help me out...

Originally posted by MikeBergy+Jul 14 2005, 08:14 PM-->
brian11to1

MikeB - do you tune your own shit? If not, where do you go around here??? I'm always looking for good tuners. You live up by Sac right?

Originally posted by sohcslammer+Jul 14 2005, 08:50 PM-->
Originally posted by MikeBergy@Jul 14 2005, 08:14 PM
brian11to1

MikeB - do you tune your own shit? If not, where do you go around here??? I'm always looking for good tuners. You live up by Sac right?
[post=526433]Quoted post[/post]​

I live in San Luis Obispo. I am almost done with my build. 11.5:1 compression, pnp'd LS head, obd0. I'm going to be tuning with a socketed pm6 w/datalogging port, and an Innovate LM-1 WB, RTP with ostrich, tuning with Turboedit. I am just waiting for my pm6 to come back to me, it was throwing a solid CEL when I plugged it in, so I sent it back to be replaced. I'll let you know how my tuning goes. If it goes well, I might consider doing it for some others.

Originally posted by brian11to1+Jul 14 2005, 07:15 PM-->
Originally posted by MikeBergy@Jul 14 2005, 08:14 PM
brian11to1

Interested in a road trip to Avondale, AZ? Food, Lodge... all that shit... help me out...
[post=526388]Quoted post[/post]​

Only if you show me a good time... :p
But seriously, if I get my car together soon, I'll consider it. Got the whole rest of summer.