turbo GSR what should i expect?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FakeTypeR

i have a 2000GSR with 80k on it...im changing my clutch next week and i need to figure out if i wanna turbo it or not so i dont put in the wrong clutch...what should i expect if i turbo a GSR with 80k on the motor...? what is the best kit out there for the price of it?

-a more reasonable question to ask is how much horsepower do you want to make? wihtout detailing a proposed setup and boost level, etc it's hard to guestimate how much horsepower you would make- as for the kits, the XS engineering kit claims to make 237 horsepower at 10psi (CARB legal trim), the Turbonetics kit claims to make 250hp at 8psi, the greddy kit claims to make 225hp at 7.8 psi- of course these are manufactures claims and may be a wee bit high, but that's a general idea- Each of the kits include different things, but the best thing that you can do is check each of the manufacturers websites, read their charts and see what is included in each setup-

-some things to look at are exhaust manifolds- manifolds welded up from mild steel tubing will typically cracj after a few thousand miles or hard use, but an equal length tubular manifold wedled from stainless steel typically flows better and produces more horsepower than a cast manifold, however chances are that a good cast manifold won't crack- Other things to look for are the style of fuel enrichment the kits uses, whether an intercooler is included and if there is any fabrication needed besides attaching a bung for the oil return line to the oil pan-

my main concern was boosting up a motor with 80k on it....should i worry about boosting like 12psi on occasion...and what stage clutch is best if i turbo it...i dont wanna go to extreme but i donno if a stage 3 will hold up

read turbo 101.

psi is meaningless. its a pressure level, not a volume of air, and not a power level.

80k... depends. well maintained 200k motors are in better shape than shitty maintained 40k motors.

clutch "stage" depends more on manufacturer than anything else. a 'stage' is nothing more than a marketing term by said manufacturer.

12psi... its night and day from 10 psi to 12 psi. the limit of the stock map sensor at sea level is 10.65 psi on obd1 and 2 cars. after that, you're going to need a 3-bar map sensor.... and to take that reading, an ecu that can read it- like hondata, aem, and other standalones.

:concur: you're gonna have to do some serious homework before deciding to boost, especially if you want to run higher boost levels than the basic kit-

im running a 130k mile engine, turboed at 10-12 psi on a T25 and it runs fine. then again you seem to be new to this, and on a GSR engine 10-12 psi on even a T25 will take quite a bit of tuning....so i concur with the others, READ

Back