Turbo Kit for 2002 Mazda Protege 5

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

adnoh

Hey Guys,

A good friend of mine is toying with the idea of throwing a turbo kit on his 02 Protege 5. I know I know...I'm not much for them either, but hey, he's got it looking pretty cool. And by saying "toying around with the idea", I mean if he finds a kit/parts now, he'll buy them...he's just that type of dude.

His budget is around $4-4.5K Canadian. He wants a fast street car....somewhere around the 200WPH area, on stock internals. Now, I already know that the Mazdaspeed Protege is using a Garrett T3 on a moderate 6psi, and is in the 170WHP area, so I know it can be done, respectfully. The thing is, to buy the mazdaspeed turbo kit and install it on his car would be fucking expensive as shit, and really not worth it. So I thought I'd ask you guys what you think would be a decent setup.

He needs everything, obviously. His engine is perfect, with like 80K miles on it.

If you guys have any links for a decent kit, please post it up. I googled it, but the usual Greddy shit came up. I wouldn't mind peicing a kit together for him, but there's always the decision of the turbo size, manifold, IC, ........ Anyone know of some good deals? And to add, when it comes to engine management for the P5, I'm at a fucking loss......Mazda is like Chinese to me. Does the same Honda rules apply to the P5 as well (FMU, AFC Hack, Standalone)???

Any help would be appreciated.

For him, it's either get a turbo kit, or use the money to put a down payment on a new Mazda 6 sedan. I think he wants the turbo.

Thanks dudes!!!

If he does turbo the protege ive heard that the bottom end doesnt hold up too well with the boost, people have tried to turn it up on the mazdaspeed but have ended up messing up the bottom end, this is what i have heard previously, so if true, just watch the boost!

Originally posted by VTECPOWER+Jun 23 2005, 06:08 PM-->
If he does turbo the protege ive heard that the bottom end doesnt hold up too well with the boost, people have tried to turn it up on the mazdaspeed but have ended up messing up the bottom end, this is what i have heard previously, so if true, just watch the boost!
[post=515807]Quoted post[/post]​

Mazda bottom ends can actually handle a moderate amount of boost without any problems at all. 6-8psi on an efficient turbo isn't a problem. There are some kits for the 1.8L engines in Miatas and the Protege- look into those.

As for management, an SAFC will work ok- but there are always aftermarket management systems out there for the Mazdas too. Look into what the Miata guys are running.

adnoh
@Jun 23 2005, 06:19 PM
ya, I've heard that as well.....I guess somewhere in the 6-8psi would be ideal.
[post=515814]Quoted post[/post]​

:thumbsup:

id love to see that, i think the protege 5 is a sweet lookin wagon, if only it was awd or rwd and had more power...

Back