Turbo vs. Cali Smog

I have a 1996 HB with a 1996 GSR motor so I was thinking just get a 99-00 SI turbo since the 99-00 SI CAI fit perfectly. Would it fit? Does Greddy make one for the 99-00 SI?? :huh:
 

brc80

Senior Member
I just had to do the whole smog deal in cali. Even parts with carb legal stickers can make you fail. The carb sticker does not garantee you will pass smog, only that if you get pulled over the cops wont mess with you. I have an AEM Cai, Dc 4-1 Header and 2.25 cat back and i still failed. I did everything but swap my old motor back in and still failed. If your in so cal and need a smog let me know.
 

NotUrAverage_Si

Senior Member
Originally posted by Hatchbacks Anonymous@Mar 25 2004, 02:23 PM
I have a 1996 HB with a 1996 GSR motor so I was thinking just get a 99-00 SI turbo since the 99-00 SI CAI fit perfectly. Would it fit? Does Greddy make one for the 99-00 SI?? :huh:

I'm not sure I entirely understand your question...can you rephrase it a little?
 

NotUrAverage_Si

Senior Member
Originally posted by brc80@Mar 25 2004, 02:26 PM
The carb sticker does not garantee you will pass smog, only that if you get pulled over the cops wont mess with you.

:werd:

and even if you have a greddy turbo kit you still get a ticket and sent to the smog ref if you can't present a carb sticker. happened to a friend of mine and he was pissed. I've thought about making my own carb legal sticker for my non greddy turbo kit but I read an article not too long ago that cops are already on it.
 
Sorry, I was just rambling on, but here it is with less confusion.....

I have a 1996 civic HB with a 1996 GSR motor.

I bought CAI from a 99-00 Si and it fit perfectly.

I was wondering should I buy a greddy turbo kit that is made for the 99-00 civic SI?

:) :) Ok? :)
 

90crxb18

Senior Member
Originally posted by Hatchbacks Anonymous@Mar 25 2004, 04:27 PM
Ya, as long as the motor is from the same year as the car or newer. I could not smog a car if I had bought a 1994 motor.

i think you better read the cali smog thread... having the same year car and motor is ONE of the MANY things on the list of having a legally swapped motor.
 
Originally posted by 90crxb18+Mar 25 2004, 02:01 PM-->
Hatchbacks Anonymous
@Mar 25 2004, 04:27 PM
Ya, as long as the motor is from the same year as the car or newer. I could not smog a car if I had bought a 1994 motor.

i think you better read the cali smog thread... having the same year car and motor is ONE of the MANY things on the list of having a legally swapped motor.

You are correct. :)
 

Tonyd0821

Banned
In reference to getting a carb sticker from greddy...

When i had the 15g on my ek, i was told that i had to call greddy and then and ONLY then will they send out the sticker....they required receipt of original purchase and a whole host of other information....

i saw no need for the carb sticker due to the fact i didnt need smog for another year and a half AND i live in the south bay (torrance/hermosa beach) and cops there really dont make you pop your hood.....unless your shit is really riced out/lowered/stands out...

im sure if you can find someone on this or another forum with the sticker, you can ask them to scan you a copy of it, and it shouldnt be that hard to reproduce. i talked to a guy who did his with no problems and the dumb ass cop bought it
 

H22AdelSol

Senior Member
can you legally smog a car with a swapped motor??

yup, im going in a week to get my jdm h22 legal so i dont have to roll down the street scared half to death that im gonna get popped... B)

Also why does the motor have to be atleast the same year as the car? lets say the h22 was made from 1990 -1996, exactly same motor all 6 years and your car is a 93. whats the differance of having a 1990 h22 in your car or a 95 motor?
 

brc80

Senior Member
Originally posted by H22AdelSol@Mar 25 2004, 03:28 PM
can you legally smog a car with a swapped motor??

yup, im going in a week to get my jdm h22 legal so i dont have to roll down the street scared half to death that im gonna get popped... B)

Also why does the motor have to be atleast the same year as the car? lets say the h22 was made from 1990 -1996, exactly same motor all 6 years and your car is a 93. whats the differance of having a 1990 h22 in your car or a 95 motor?

Obd
 

NotUrAverage_Si

Senior Member
Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Mar 25 2004, 03:58 PM
i was told that i had to call greddy and then and ONLY then will they send out the sticker....


im sure if you can find someone on this or another forum with the sticker, you can ask them to scan you a copy of it, and it shouldnt be that hard to reproduce. i talked to a guy who did his with no problems and the dumb ass cop bought it

ahhh I see, my friend thought they forgot to send him a carb sticker.

also out here in certain parts of cali, cops pop hoods like nothing. in the City of Industry, I heard they pull you over just for driving any kind of hooked up car and pop your hood. I'm not gonna risk going out there just to find out if it's true or not though.
 

tab

Super Moderator
We need a greedy cop's hand emoticon. Like a thumb and forefinger rubbing a dollar bill.
 

MaaseyRacer

Senior Member
Swap with a turbo is legal. However you must have your motor ref inspected and passed, with a BAR sticker before you can turbo. Once you pass your car basicly becomes what ever car the motor is from, so in your case your car is now technically a GSR, so you need a GSR turbo kit, however if the kit has a CARB# then what smog technician is going to be able to tell the difference. So I say put either the Greddy or Edlebrock tubo kit on, and haul some ass.
 

Cashizslick

!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!
Originally posted by NotUrAverage_Si+Mar 25 2004, 04:44 PM-->
@Mar 25 2004, 02:26 PM
The carb sticker does not garantee you will pass smog, only that if you get pulled over the cops wont mess with you.

:werd:

and even if you have a greddy turbo kit you still get a ticket and sent to the smog ref if you can't present a carb sticker. happened to a friend of mine and he was pissed. I've thought about making my own carb legal sticker for my non greddy turbo kit but I read an article not too long ago that cops are already on it.

That is harrasment, and is an infringement on our rights.
 

crx

Senior Member
Originally posted by Cashizslick+Apr 5 2004, 09:16 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 04:44 PM
brc80
@Mar 25 2004, 02:26 PM
The carb sticker does not garantee you will pass smog, only that if you get pulled over the cops wont mess with you.

:werd:

and even if you have a greddy turbo kit you still get a ticket and sent to the smog ref if you can't present a carb sticker. happened to a friend of mine and he was pissed. I've thought about making my own carb legal sticker for my non greddy turbo kit but I read an article not too long ago that cops are already on it.

That is harrasment, and is an infringement on our rights.

tell the cop that ;x im sure he'll find a reason to write you a ticket

-joseph
 
Top