type r need help???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

marshall12395

so i want alittle for power from type r(b18c). so im thinking of ordering skunk 2 cams stage 3 pro series, pro series valves and springs. first question for my valves do i need stander-ed size or high compression valves.second question do i need to chance anything else and can my motor take this with upgrading the bottom end of the engine. also im ordering intake 74mm throttle body and fuel rails and a 3in exhaust.:confused:

those are BIG cams for a stock bottom end, need more compression. best advice i can give you is research some other peoples builds... see what parts they used and how much power it made on the dyno. all motor power is expensive, you pretty much have to build the whole motor if you want a big upgrade, otherwise stick with smaller cams and try to be happy with modest gains.

here's two more cents for ya... use the money you are wanting to spend on buying some turbo parts instead. leave your motor stock and do a mild turbo setup. it will make more power than an all motor build by a long shot.

Last edited:
^^^ +1

Going all motor is a complete package, you can't just stick some fat cams in there and make big power. If you shove in more air, you have to spray in more fuel, and squish it more, and eject it faster, can't just upgrade one part of the pump and stop there.

you think if i go with a stage 2 my motor will take it with upgraded fuel rails,intake 74mm throttle body and some valves,springs and valve retainers??

its not a matter of "taking it"... its a matter of wasting your money, because it wont make the power you hope it will. but i guess that is subjective...

pro series stage 2 are kinda big and probably not ideal for a stock bottom type R, but im sure they will make more power than stock with tuning. the thing is, building a strong all motor setup requires that EVERYTHING works in harmony, and its not cheap to do everything. getting dyno tuned, or at least street tuned by someone that knows what they are doing is crucial.

Nice header, cam gears, nice cold air intake, 2.5" exhaust, chipped/socketed ECU and (the most important) a dyno tune to get as much out as possible. I would guess around 220-230hp to the crank and 180-190hp to the wheels. You've got the best OEM camshafts already.

Back