update on kitchen, still not sure if its done yet....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
We bought a pretty outdated house that hasn't been taken care of. Pretty much gutted the whole place outside of the cabinets and bathtubs. First few weeks we put down a new floor as with cheap temp counter tops. Now we're debating on if we should replace the cabinet doors with something more modern and stain everything a bit darker. For now we're just going to enjoy it. Maybe next summer we'll work on the cabinet fronts.

bfkitchen1.jpg

bfkitchen2.jpg

This next picture is the changes we made within a few weeks of buying the place. we added flooring and cheap temp counter tops.

ba1.jpg

Over the last week we just got around to finishing it.

I always leave the under counter lights on and leave everything else off unless we're cooking =) love how it looks at night.

kitchen1.jpg

kitchen2.jpg

kitchen3.jpg

With the lights on.

kitchen4.jpg

We're pretty happy with how things turned out.

Just figured I'd share. Give some of you home DIY guys some ideas.

Turned out well. I've got the same cabinets, and I hate them. Contemplating what to do with them until I gut the kitchen. Don't wanna put in granite tops and tile the backsplash until I replace the cabinets because it would pain me too much to not be able to match it all up.

I thought you were in a townhouse. Recent acquisition?

Looks good, I'm impressed. The backsplash is awesome.

I actually just installed cherry base cabinets in my kitchen and haven't gotten around to top, sink, and splash. I don't even want to think about building uppers atm.

Nah been here a little over 2 years, just now getting around to finishing for the most part, the kitchen.

I can't wait for you to come over, between the backspash and butter we're gonna have some fun!

I think it looks good, but there is something about the cabinets that doesn't quite fit. I'd go with a dark stain. As dark as the floor. I just put down bamboo floor that is the same shade as my oak cabinets, and I was worried having the same shade on the floor as the cabinets would look dumb, but it actually ties it together very nicely. I think dark cabinets with the stainless steel appliances will look much more updated. Everybody has those same fucking cabinets in that same fucking shade, including me. Besides, most chicks are into the darker shades...

Nice. Wish my kitchen was that tiny, you could probably fit two of yours in mine.

IF you don't want to sand the cabinets down you could put a really good oil primer down and then use a good oil paint for the cabinets, or a good waterborne meant for cabinets. IF you go the stain route I would consider bringing the doors to have them stripped, there are a good amount of doors that would take a while to strip.

I like the kitchen except the color of the cabinets.

Nice. Wish my kitchen was that tiny, you could probably fit two of yours in mine.

Mine's about that small, but with cabinets only on the right and front sides, and the stove takes up the left side of the front wall... I hate my kitchen. :(

What kind of counter top did you install?
Also, what was your total out of pocket expense?

We're redoing our kitchen next year, complete gut with two walls being removed. We'll probably be in teh 10-15k range all said and done.

Looks legit.

With appliances, countertops, and back splash, I don't know the yardages on the tops, would be around 20ish.

Backsplash is relatively cheap, but the countertops, depending on the material, quality, etc. can be real expensive, going from 2-3k for laminate to 10k-15k for good nice one piece corian, etc.

jeffie's infamous mirror floors :ph34r:

i love the backsplash. that makes it for me. that +the stainless appliances = win. nicely done.

Back