Upgrading Suspension need advice

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HatchSpeeD

...Hi...
I'm looking to upgrade my suspension from my current setup which was for a daily driver(Tokico Blues & H&R sport springs). I'm looking into a full-coilover setup but not sure which to choose. I want something with an overall good balance. Good for the streets & track on the weekends. I might end up just turning the hatch into a straight track car though. At the moment i'm leaning toward omni-power because the price is good and i've heard good things. What are your opinion & experiences? Help me out peoples.

1)Omni-power
2)Tein
3)Tanabe
4)Other

I go against the grain as say KW, or Bilstein. Only problem is, in the states, I don't think Bilstein offers the coilovers for Civics. You can't however go wrong with Tein, and the Omnipowers are making a name for themselves by being a good product at a good price. One piece of advice, spend the extra and get a threaded body coil over, not a sleeve. Sounds like you are, but just to reinforce.

Thanks, yea thats what i'm going for the one piece design. I never heard of KW, does that stand for something? Also which tein would you recommend. I'm not really sure if i'm going to really utitlize a system that has 16 way adjustability for the dampening. I only say that because I have yet to learn how it truly effects my handling in different situations like a road course because i've never gone yet. But thanks again.

omni's are nice for the $$$. I have them on my EG hatch, but take into consideration that they are non ajustable dampining!. If you have the extra coin to spend..i would say go with the tein's!

I was considering that as well, in fact I e-mailed the company last night to ask if they were adjustable, so thanks. Do you know the spring rates for the omini's? Like I said, i'm not sure if i'm going to be utitlizing a shock with many different dampening rates. I guess I should look into that for the future if I do learn and want to critique my suspension. So far its omni for a non-adjustable shock & Tein for adjustable.

tein's suck.

if you're going to spend a G on suspension, get something else. there's at least 10 brands off the top of my head who offer a better product for a similar price point.

if you're going to spend 700 on suspension, get the onmi's.

I'm looking for the best deal. If I can get a $1000 setup for $700, than i'll go for it. What do you suggest B for suspension in $1000 price range and why? :)

B is one of the few that are anti-TEIN! I have them on the EF and love them!

I have heard many good things about the OmniPowers but I agree with Matt if you have the extra coin go with the Tein's.

imo if you have the extra coin go with a custom setup like Koni/GC(btw, its that around $1000 also?)

B is one of the few that are anti-TEIN! I have them on the EF and love them!

I noticed that too from previous posts. B why don't you like Teins? Is it because that rust issue? I heard that took care of that now. Also what do you recommend bro.

TEIN SuperStreet Damper
gallery_31005_76_93608.jpg

I did the same research as you, looked at omnipower, silkroad, tanabe, GC+Koni, and a bunch more. I decided on the TEIN SuperStreet Damper and I'm not lookin back. They are a fantastic intro to what a fully adjustable coilover should be. Ride quality on the softest setting is cushier than stock, and on the stiffest setting, I haven't been able to push my car hard enough around a corner to even make my tires squeal. I'm not bitching out on the twisties either, I drop it into second at the beginning of the apex and put the pedal to the floor until I'm done the corner. The TEIN's really brought out the performance in my car. Totally happy with them.

Customer service has been great as well. They reply to e-mails and phone calls in the same-day, and are friendly.

For the money, I'd reccomend these. Also ask Will (Civicious) about these, this is what his hatch is runnin too.

Thanks for the input. I noticed in the picture your setup doesn't show the tophat/mount. Did it come with it?

Originally posted by HatchSpeeD@Jul 1 2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the input. I noticed in the picture your setup doesn't show the tophat/mount. Did it come with it?
[post=519200]Quoted post[/post]​

Tein makes you use your factory top hat, unless you wanna buy their pillow ball mounts.

its not about the rust

its the fact that they ride like shit.

their dapening isn't matched to their spring rates. the rebound blows. the droop steer is over kill.... the don't react fast enough.

my opinion:

a8.jpg

they are a LITTLE more than you want to spend... but they are bad ass.
inverted design that you'd only find on top of the line suspensions. rid is so firm and controlled.
once you set preload, all height is done on the collar-- not on the spring. i'd buy them again in a heart beat.

festivegarage.com sells 'em. call for honda prices.... but it should be 1400 shipped direct from japan.

if you can't afford those, get the omni's. people seem to like them, and they are pretty cheap.

the teins would be a "good" suspension if it cost 500 bucks. because thats what it feels like.

EDITED for a typo

Nope. They use the tophat from your stock suspension. OR For extra $$$, you can get a pillowball mount which replaces your OEM equipment. It gives you a bunch more adjustability, and offer you the opportunity to hook up the EDFC which allows you to contol your dampening rates from a control module inside your car, on the fly.

Originally posted by hybrid89+Jul 1 2005, 02:07 PM-->
HatchSpeeD
@Jul 1 2005, 01:04 PM
[post=519200]Quoted post[/post]​

Tein makes you use your factory top hat, unless you wanna buy their pillow ball mounts.
[post=519203]Quoted post[/post]​

which may i mention, sucks.
get the pillowballs.

you'd think if you spent 1000 bucks on suspension, that it would at least come assembled?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 1 2005, 01:08 PM
its not about the rust

its the fact that they ride like shit.

their dapening is matched to their spring rates. the rebound blows. the droop steer is over kill.... the don't react fast enough.

my opinion:

a8.jpg

they are a LITTLE more than you want to spend... but they are bad ass.
inverted design that you'd only find on top of the line suspensions. rid is so firm and controlled.
once you set preload, all height is done on the collar-- not on the spring. i'd buy them again in a heart beat.

festivegarage.com sells 'em. call for honda prices.... but it should be 1400 shipped direct from japan.

if you can't afford those, get the omni's. people seem to like them, and they are pretty cheap.

the teins would be a "good" suspension if it cost 500 bucks. because thats what it feels like.
[post=519204]Quoted post[/post]​

Silkroad's are sick, but for $1400, they are probably the last coilover I'd buy. But that's just me.

B, I can't for the life of me, figure out why you think the TEIN's handle like shit. If you think the rebound is shit, grab a set of TEIN's that you can control the rebound with. Done. You are, obviously, entitled to your own opinion, but you are they ONLY person I have ever heard complain about TEIN coilovers. Could it be that you bought a set of Lemon's? I dunno man.....I just don't get it.

Back