Usdm Civic Type-r?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

endlesszeal

The other day i went to Barnes and Nobles to do a little homework and after that, casual reading of the magazines. I came upon Car and Driver and Motor Trends, both state that its almost a done deal that Honda will bring over the Civic Type-R because of the "dryness" of what the Si brought. They're very hyped about it too, as i am. So, just wandering what you guys thought. Can it be? i think likely because Subaru brought over the WRX, and now the STi, and Mitsubishi brought their Evolution.. Also, ive heard the Skyline is going to be brought over.. In addition, its about time because we've been without a USDM "R" for to long.. they need to bring the Integra R back along with the NSX-R.. im pretty sure there would be a mark for both because people buy the Zanadari Edition of the NSX and $xxx,xxx supercars like the 911 Turbo.. anyway, please feel free to put your inputs.

ae

I saw pics of the New CTR and it looks pretty cool, alot sportier then the SI. To bad honda screwed up with the suspension (mcferson struts are :ghey: ) Also, the RSX is nice but it is no integra. Honda needs to work with Spoon and Mugen to create a new car that honda enthusist will like. (also, if any honda CEO's are trolling hondaswap, bring back a new del Sol, CRX, and SMALL hatch and stay close to the roots :) )

Originally posted by asmallsol@Apr 4 2003, 01:59 PM
also, if any honda CEO's are trolling hondaswap, bring back a new del Sol, CRX, and SMALL hatch and stay close to the roots :)

s3e8e03c47e69b.jpg

Originally posted by rsaeini+Apr 4 2003, 05:20 PM-->
asmallsol
@Apr 4 2003, 01:59 PM
also, if any honda CEO's are trolling hondaswap, bring back a new del Sol, CRX, and SMALL hatch and stay close to the roots :)

s3e8e03c47e69b.jpg

ya and to any honda execs trolling....

QUIT MAKING THE DAMN CIVIC HB LOOK LIKE A FRIGGEN FORD FOCUS....

please. go back to the ek/eg style. or some hybrid thereof...

ya i to believe they should stay close to the roots and bring back a small hatch or somehting even though i do drive a heavy ass accord. but this all only sounds good in theory because the new si is not a big hatch its just that the cars today are alot heavier due to all the unnecesary bullshit they have to put in or on them (safety and all the other bullshit) so yes they could bring one back but unless they put some sort of type r powerplant in it i doubt any of us will be impressed

They need to cut the shit with these heavy cars and put something out that competes with the EVO and WRX out of the box

i have an issue of "Import Racer" that shows a concept of the Si that Honda is working on that will be Turbo-charged. I don't know what the chances are that it will be produced, Import Racer isn't exactly the greatest source of information. It would be nice to have that though. I think that would be the first ever turbo Honda in the states.

remember that if you want performance like that you also have an out tof the box price tag around $30,000. and i don't know about you but i don't have that kind of money, and i'm betting a lot of the people on here don't either thats why were tuning sub $5,000 cars.

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Apr 4 2003, 07:35 PM
remember that if you want performance like that you also have an out tof the box price tag around $30,000. and i don't know about you but i don't have that kind of money, and i'm betting a lot of the people on here don't either thats why were tuning sub $5,000 cars.

Not really, look at the mini cooper S. Little under 20k for a base cooper S, 16ish for a bace cooper. Those things own to drive, even the slow cooper. Then look at the WRX. That thing is fast as hell, turbocharged flat four and it is still about 25K. Only thing that honda has against them is the ghey tariffs the US govenment imposed back in the mid 1980's. That is why the civic back in the 70's was so popular, it was cheaper then most other cars, reliable, fun to drive (except slow as hell), and great gas millage. They need to get back to a small, car that has real potential, even if the engine is slow as hell in stock for. Also bring back engines that rev high, we arn't buying domestics here.

Originally posted by asmallsol+Apr 5 2003, 07:36 AM-->
saturn_boy96
@Apr 4 2003, 07:35 PM

Not really, look at the mini cooper S. Little under 20k for a base cooper S, 16ish for a bace cooper. Those things own to drive, even the slow cooper. Then look at the WRX. That thing is fast as hell, turbocharged flat four and it is still about 25K. Only thing that honda has against them is the ghey tariffs the US govenment imposed back in the mid 1980's. That is why the civic back in the 70's was so popular, it was cheaper then most other cars, reliable, fun to drive (except slow as hell), and great gas millage. They need to get back to a small, car that has real potential, even if the engine is slow as hell in stock for. Also bring back engines that rev high, we arn't buying domestics here.

You may want that shit but not many people here do.

Only people that want to rev their engines are young guys + some girls that are going to be racing and screwing with the cars. Thats not a big enough market base for Honda to make any money if they made something like that, infact they would lose their shirts in the deal.

People here do buy domestics, maybe not the guys at hondaswap but tons of other people buy domestics still. Honda has been leaning towards more powerful engines down low because thats what sells to the masses and the everyday person can enjoy.

Also about bringing something over like the WRX for cheap...Honda is known for quality not being cheap.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene Posted on Apr 5 2003+ 03:54 PM -->
New2TheCarScene Posted on Apr 5 2003 @ 03:54 PM ) said:
People here do buy domestics, maybe not the guys at hondaswap but tons of other people buy domestics still. Honda has been leaning towards more powerful engines down low because thats what sells to the masses and the everyday person can enjoy.
IMO,I don't find this to be true.People nowadays are wanting good cars,that get good milage and still offer power,whether it be domestic,import or whatever.There are tons of people I work with that you would think are domestic fans,but you see them driving around in a DX,because it is a reliable,effiecient vehicle.

New2TheCarScene Posted on Apr 5 2003
@ 03:54 PM
Thats not a big enough market base for Honda to make any money if they made something like that, infact they would lose their shirts in the deal.

Show me one place were the type R's sat on alot and couldn't sell.Shit even over here in Germany they sell like mad,and they were available here.Also buy a new cavalier and a new type R in two years try to sell them and tell me which one you get a higher percentage of the original price for.

first off honda does not design cars for us, tuners, they design cars for the average person that has the money to buy a new car. in most cases they focus on age groups between 25 and 60. not many people under 25 buy a brand new car and many people over 60 are happy with the car they have and only use it to drive to the grocery store and church.

honda has been putting alot of R&D into thier engines. their objective is to have their engine in most of the vehicles on the road in the future. this is why they flipped the engines around recently . . . intake in front, exhaust in back. . clockwise rotational engine . . its all the begining of honda power plants taking over

and you must admit honda does have thier stuff together. the S2k is an awesome car, the PILOT is a pretty pimp SUV for the starbucks drinkin socker moms and guy whos hitin it. the 6spd V6 accord coupe is a big step for honda. the civic remains affordable and reliable.

the new civic suspension is horrible in my opinion, however it was done for a reason. for one most civic owners buy the car new because it is affordable and known to be reliable, not to bang corners harder than i bang your mom, but just to drive fro point A to point B. and another reason was to shorten the engine bay creating more passenger area.

ok now the new SI . . its downfall was the suspension and the scary resemblaince it has to the ford focus. but the car is very well made. i haven't heard of any problems with the car. the technology has advanced with the electronic steering assist and electronic cam timing just to name two of the big ones.

so just look at the big picture and read up . . . honda doesn't focus on 20 year old tuners tuning 10 year old cars when building a new car that they want to sell (duh!)

Honda doesn't address people under 25? Whatever your smokin, hook a brutha up! In my school of +7000, 1848 drive to school. Of those 1848, 72% own a Honda/Acura. Of those 1330, 1237 have at least one aftermarket part. These figures are not pulled outta my ass. Every one just noticed how insane it was that nearly all of these kids are furiously fast so they did a survey.
Anyway, you can't tell me that people (under 25) don't buy hondas with aftermarket dreams in mind. You can't tell me that Honda/Acura has not thought of this during their R&D. Reliability and mileage is a factor but probably half of the people under 25 wouldn't own hondas if they didn't want to personalize them.

i just want to know how many of those kids drive a brand new honda/acura. you also have to think about the demographic of your school. where you live, what kind of kids go to your school, how wealthy their parents are...

TRuggiero_ Posted on Apr 5 2003, 04:30 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reliability and mileage is a factor but probably half of the people under 25 wouldn't own hondas if they didn't want to personalize them.

what about the other cars out there that offer the same reliability and efficiency? i don't know of many but how many dumb kids do you know who haven't tried to personalize their grand am's aor cavaliers or sunfires or neons. every one buys a car with the idea of personalizing it, not just honda owners.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Apr 5 2003, 03:32 PM-->
Originally posted by New2TheCarScene Posted on Apr 5 2003@ 03:54 PM

IMO,I don't find this to be true.People nowadays are wanting good cars,that get good milage and still offer power,whether it be domestic,import or whatever.There are tons of people I work with that you would think are domestic fans,but you see them driving around in a DX,because it is a reliable,effiecient vehicle.

New2TheCarScene Posted on Apr 5 2003
@ 03:54 PM
Thats not a big enough market base for Honda to make any money if they made something like that, infact they would lose their shirts in the deal.

Show me one place were the type R's sat on alot and couldn't sell.Shit even over here in Germany they sell like mad,and they were available here.Also buy a new cavalier and a new type R in two years try to sell them and tell me which one you get a higher percentage of the original price for.

Personally it doesn't matter to me what you 'feel'...

Its business. Its statistics. I deal with it. I know it.

The fact remains that Ford is still the number one selling car here in America and always has been since its production. Toyota is soon to pass it this half of the quarter if Ford doesn't shape up...but even if Ford is second thats still a tremendous amount of cars.

What you see go on and off the lot means nothing, that accounts for a very very small percentage of the population.

If honda could make money doing something like this, they would.

Trust me. They have experts, not morons like us, sit around and run these numbers all day to determine what would be in the best interest of the business.

Originally posted by TRuggiero_@Apr 5 2003, 04:30 PM
Honda doesn't address people under 25? Whatever your smokin, hook a brutha up! In my school of +7000, 1848 drive to school. Of those 1848, 72% own a Honda/Acura. Of those 1330, 1237 have at least one aftermarket part. These figures are not pulled outta my ass. Every one just noticed how insane it was that nearly all of these kids are furiously fast so they did a survey.
Anyway, you can't tell me that people (under 25) don't buy hondas with aftermarket dreams in mind. You can't tell me that Honda/Acura has not thought of this during their R&D. Reliability and mileage is a factor but probably half of the people under 25 wouldn't own hondas if they didn't want to personalize them.

Hate to tell you but you're absolutely wrong and he's absolutely right.

The primary focus of honda is to make a reliable car to sell to the masses, sure they'll make their engines so they can be customized later...but they're not going to make a car specifically for that.

If they ever did something like that it would be like what all the other car companies run, a limited edition car for a short while to shock the market and capture as many buyers as they can in a short period of time. If they bring a car back like the CRX it will initially probably be planned to stay for a year or two and then go. They're not going to turn their whole marketing strategy around for a young kid like yourself. I'm sorry the world doesn't revolve around you or any of us.

I say this to you being a 17 year old male.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Apr 5 2003, 11:15 PM
What you see go on and off the lot means nothing, that accounts for a very very small percentage of the population.

Dude get a grip,I am not saying they should release a type R in the states to compete with Fords or any other car,I just saying that if they didn't they sure as hell would "lose their shirts" by doing so.I could careless whether they release a type R in the states I still wouldn't buy one,they have them here and I'm not going to buy one.

The small number that they would import,would sell,and that is the point.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Apr 5 2003, 05:28 PM-->
New2TheCarScene
@Apr 5 2003, 11:15 PM

Dude get a grip,I am not saying they should release a type R in the states to compete with Fords or any other car,I just saying that if they didn't they sure as hell would "lose their shirts" by doing so.I could careless whether they release a type R in the states I still wouldn't buy one,they have them here and I'm not going to buy one.

The small number that they would import,would sell,and that is the point.

And the point is (I was trying to be nice here) that you don't know your ass from a hole in the damn wall.

Get a clue.

What you think would be cheap for them, wouldn't.

Import costs are insane. Research and Developement costs are also off the wall...the primary reason why companies are hesistant about doing R&D.

In a nutshell everything costs way more than you would expect and it would be a losing venture for Honda. If it wasn't we wouldn't be sitting here talking about it because they would've introduced the product over here already.

As I already stated they have people who's entire job is just making these marketing and finnacial predictions....lots of experts filling these positions...they know a hell of a lot more than some kid such as yourself trying to tell them what their marketing plan should be.

Reality check.

Don't bother to respond because I made my point and I won't listen to anymore yipping or yapping how you know better than Honda.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Apr 5 2003, 11:32 PM
And the point is (I was trying to be nice here) that you don't know your ass from a hole in the damn wall.

Get a clue.

What you think would be cheap for them, wouldn't.

Import costs are insane. Research and Developement costs are also off the wall...the primary reason why companies are hesistant about doing R&D.

In a nutshell everything costs way more than you would expect and it would be a losing venture for Honda. If it wasn't we wouldn't be sitting here talking about it because they would've introduced the product over here already.

As I already stated they have people who's entire job is just making these marketing and finnacial predictions....lots of experts filling these positions...they know a hell of a lot more than some kid such as yourself trying to tell them what their marketing plan should be.

Reality check.

Don't bother to respond because I made my point and I won't listen to anymore yipping or yapping how you know better than Honda.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA you're funny,kid,that's a good one hahahaha

Look dude,there are more reason's why thet don't import them into the states besides RnD.They export them to the rest of the world,and guess what they sell.

I'm not telling Honda what their marketing plan is haha,I could careless about their marketing plan.But you seem to think you know what their marketing strategies are so why don't you lay them out for us....oh you don't hahaha surprise.Maybe you can go to their facilities in Torrance and ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back