v8 heads enter here

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
got a camero motor job in the works...

camero 1 = junk body, carb'ed 350, good block
camero 2 = good body, tuned port 305, hole in block

job = pull carb'ed 350, pull 305, put 305 heads and tuned port injection on 350 block and re-install into camero 2

opinions input would be greatly appreciated

as of now both motor are ripped out and both have been torn down to bare block...

the 305 has a crane cam with lifters i assume, pistons have valve reliefs...

the 350 has stock cam i assume, and it appears to be semi deep dish pistons, i assume they are stock pistons...

major issue = the piston relief at highest point is approx 1/8 inch LOWER than the base of the deep dish pistons at highest point...

i am worried about a piston kissing a valve due to the lack of piston relief and i do not want to rip all the pistons out...

anyone know about these piles of shit cameros???
thanks

did the 305 pistons look afteramrket and are they more concaved that the stock 350?? pics would help

a 350 is a 305 block, pistons and rotating assembly. The 350 heads are what make it (Higher deck). He's talking about TPI engines, so I imagine he's talking about 3rd gen Fs.

So swap the top end onto the 350's lower end. be aware, you will need to satisfy the knock sensor (Chances are, the carbbed block doesn't have a knock sensor) If someone went through all the trouble with the head work on the TPI engine, then what the hell - keep it and make it a 305. Either way, you can buy a replacement at that spec for $300. For $1000 or slightly more you can see your way to happiness with an ebay motor that's dropping twice the power.

-> Steve

the blocks have different bores but the stokes are the same for certain small blocks and big blocks. like you and put a 327 crank in a 350 block and make a 383 stroker and a different mix and match

...wtf y0. 383 = 350 block, 400 crank.

The 377 is better than the 383 anyway.

Celerity is right about the heads and the physical block size, but I don't think the 305 heads will go on the 350 block. I can't remember why, but I'll try and find out.

I used to have an 86 Trans am with the 305 tpi and I had it built with KB pistons, crane cam, reflashed computer, bigger injectors ect.... It still was maybe a high 13 second car at best, and got 12 miles to the gallon. :woo: V8s suck unless they are in a 67-69 camaro (it's with an a btw), a late 60s fastback mustang, a chevelle, or maybe a handfull of other cars. Gas is just too expensive where I live.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jul 1 2005, 01:05 PM
camero

camero 1
camero 2

cameros???
[post=519202]Quoted post[/post]​

It's a CAMARO. lol

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jul 2 2005, 01:43 AM
or an early Z-car... :ph34r:
[post=519560]Quoted post[/post]​

That falls under the handfull of other cars..... :p

Actually, I'd rather swap the sr20det than a 350. It's lighter, the power is about the same, it's more original, and you can EASILY hit 500 hp. Plus my heart still beats 4 cylinders at a time.... :D

You can hit 500 hp in an SR20DET, but not easily. And are you suggesting dropping an SR in a Camaro ? or are we talking about Zs now ?

-> Steve

Originally posted by sohcslammer+Jul 2 2005, 07:55 AM-->
Battle Pope
@Jul 2 2005, 01:43 AM
or an early Z-car... :ph34r:
[post=519560]Quoted post[/post]​

That falls under the handfull of other cars..... :p

Actually, I'd rather swap the sr20det than a 350. It's lighter, the power is about the same, it's more original, and you can EASILY hit 500 hp. Plus my heart still beats 4 cylinders at a time.... :D
[post=519625]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm not swapping in a 350. 350 swap = child's play. I'm aiming for a 460.

ever hear the phrase "10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag?"

By the way, these Camaros... what kind are they ? Are you wasting time on a Berlinetta, or are these cool ones ?

I love 1988 RS 5 speeds.

I think the swap should work alright, taking that small block chevy's are generally universal. but from my experience and what i've heard, 305's are junk because of the lack of lubrication to the head. If I were you i'd order performance heads from jegs, yearone or even get some from a junk yard from a 350. 305 is just a cursed engine, look for heads from 287, 307, 327, 350, 400 small blocks.

Originally posted by Celerity@Jul 2 2005, 10:26 PM

By the way, these Camaros... what kind are they ? Are you wasting time on a Berlinetta, or are these cool ones ?

I love 1988 RS 5 speeds.
[post=519894]Quoted post[/post]​

Berlinettas were V6s or some other small engine.

Originally posted by Celerity@Jul 2 2005, 10:26 PM
[post=519894]Quoted post[/post]​

I was sitting in a "vehicle" with a 572 BB as it started for the first time tonight.... dyno runs go down tomorrow..... :p its in what I would call a dune buggy with a top.... its a Jeep CJ5 frame and drivetrain -minus motor/trans

I would actually say its more like 30 or 40 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag

is it an NA 572?

Cause there's a guy here in CB with an old willy's... a goddamn WILLYS... with a 572 in it. On top of that the 572 has a 3-stage nitrous sytem.

Dunno what the guy needs it for anyway, he's like 80 y/o...

like onthers have said a 350 and a 305 block share the same bore size, they have different cracks for stroke. The only issue I see is 305 heads suck.

Back