valve cover breather

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mozzandherb

Do valve cover breathers make much of a difference as far as power is concerned, and it damaging at all to the engine?

Just keep the hose, it needs to be there to recirculate that crap back into the engine.

Someone who says they know what they are talking about told me that if the breather hose is not hooked up, it will stave the bottom end.

Any truth to this?

completely false. its actually WORSE for the bottom end.

basically, you un-do the vacuum system. all the crap just stays in the head.

I was told by very reputable people (Groundzero) that if you have a high horsepower, high reving engine you should use the breather (which I do), because at high RPMS the oil pressure sometimes sends the oil out that hole. Without the breather you are recirvulating oil through the intake system, which slows your car down and makes it more prone to detonation.
What do you guys think? I may be missing a few steps in between, but what abotu the general idea?

In that instance you should get a catch can, and not use a ghey ass filter, that is 1) letting out harmful vapors, and going to clog under such conditions. I have oil in my intake arm, TB, IM, everyone does, it's called blow by.

the pcv system works on vacuum
when you boost, you loose vacuum
the catch can goes inline to catch all the vapors and still maintain the circulatory system.

IMO, its un-needed for a well-running all-motor car.
its a must for a bosoted car.

on boosted cars most of us dont rerout the PCV system. It's not a bad idea to do a catch can setup though. You can get a greddy style catch can from ebay for liek $40.

the greddy can is worthless IMO.

its not baffled, and it doesn't even hook up to the right spots.

the endyn can is the only one worth buying imo.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 30 2005, 03:29 PM
the greddy can is worthless IMO.

its not baffled, and it doesn't even hook up to the right spots.

the endyn can is the only one worth buying imo.
[post=518550]Quoted post[/post]​

Yea, but that fucker is like what $259? Daaaamn.

lots of the high-hp boosted guys are still maintaining vacuum in the head by routing it to the exhaust collector(there's a thread on H-T all about it).

ok i think people are starting to talk bout different things here, that needs to be cleared up.

the valve cover breather and PCV system are different.

if you use the endyn can, you no longer have vacuum in the system. its designed to catch the oil and return it to the engine via gravity. it just vents everything else to atmosphere through the huge filter on top. the endyn system is essentially all input. the only output is through the filter.

if you want to keep vacuum in the pcv system you use a closed can with an in and an out. no filter.

a affled can is the way to go.

Back