Viper Alarm Issue

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stevish

So I just took my remote for my car swimming. The remote still works fine, but now the doors won't lock or unlock... even by using the buttons in the car! The remote start option still works from the remote, and the lock/unlock buttons on the remote make the lights flash. There's also a lot of clicking when I turn the car on and off.

Anyone have any ideas?

It's a Viper 160XV if that means anything to you.

Take the battery out and see if the switches inside the car work normally? Maybe your remote is sending odd signals all the time...

Good thought, Calesta, but no go. Tried it to no avail.

Something else I've noticed is that the blue light under the dash lights up solid for a long time after I turn the car off. If I push the button a couple times it turns off. I have no idea what that's about. Is there a troubleshooting guide for this kind of thing? The troubleshooting section of the installation guide is only for remote start issues, which are the only types of issues I do not have :(

:shrug2:

Give Viper customer service a call? It is their product.

Was this installed by a shop?

If you are decent with technical stuff I'd take a peak under the dash near the fuse box. That is where most shops will put the "brains" of the alarm. It should be tied in to your fuse box some way, which might explain all of the clicking you are hearing. See if you can trace the power wire for the alarm and disconnect it. See if that changes anything. If not, I'd honestly take it to a local car audio/video shop or call Viper as Calesta suggested.

I was hoping it wouldn't require getting under the dash again...

I recently bought the van, and have no idea who put the system in. I just know the components are tucked up in a mass of wires that makes it next to impossible for me to even check the model number, let alone see what goes where. I guess I'll have to get under there again and see what I can tell.

Thank you for saying FUSE! It was that that got me on the right track. Apparently my swimming with the remote was a coincidence, because 2005 Caravan's have issues with the BCM (whatever that is). The temporary fix is to pull the IOD fuse (in the fuse box under the hood as there is no internal fuse box) and put it back in. Problem solved!

Back