Vtec Bashing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yes it is true. VTEC is a design that make it so that 95% of the time your just a 8 Valve econimal engine but then when you go over a certian RPM, the other 8 open (burning more gas = more power) and then you have the performance of a 16v. The orginal concept of VTEC was basicly this principel.

Basicly it has to do with both performance AND gas millage.

Wow,a bunch of yota owners,bagging on vtec,probably because they got their ass handed to them by Hondas and that is the only way they know to make themselves feel better.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Mar 1 2003, 11:22 PM
Yes it is true. VTEC is a design that make it so that 95% of the time your just a 8 Valve econimal engine but then when you go over a certian RPM, the other 8 open (burning more gas = more power) and then you have the performance of a 16v. The orginal concept of VTEC was basicly this principel.

Basicly it has to do with both performance AND gas millage.

thats not true at all.

VTEC = fuel economy. search the damn turbo forum =)

but all valves work all the time. all that changes is the cam lobe profile to open or close it more or less

:whatafucktard: all of them. I dont know why people feel like they have to go against hondas just because they're popular or some bullshit like that. Like they cant accept that vtec does actually help in making a car fast. Damn I hate stupid people.

actually, vtec helps keep your car with good gas mileage, and low end torque (more than there would be without it anyway)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 2 2003, 12:02 AM
and low end torque (more than there would be without it anyway)

Then why does ls and b20 make more tq? They dont have vtec. None of the vtec engines produce more tq then a b20. ITR makes the same i think 140 (or is it 130)

Non-vtec owns the tq department. (in b-series anyways)

Gee, I thought there were a couple versions of VTEC

lemme splain...

See, Honda figured out a couple of different uses for VTEC engines: being really powerful (the initial use), and being really efficient (which came along next). The Civic HX, for example is really a VTEC-E (Efficiency), and is tuned for outstanding gas mileage. As the years progressed, Honda decided to tune a VTEC engine to be somewhere in the middle: both efficient and relatively powerful. This "mixed" VTEC is the one that has found it's way into the Accords, some Civics, and the Acura CL. Most VTECs are SOHC (or "Single Over Head Camshaft"), only the DOHC ("Dual Over Head Camshaft") VTEC engines are truly tuned for maximum performance. Don't get me wrong, the other VTEC engines are all great too, but the truly "high-strung" VTEC engines still are available only in the S2000, NSX, Prelude, Integra (GS-R, R-Type), Civic Si and Del Sol. ("High strung" = high horsepower/liter ratio.) Basically if your VTEC engine doesn't have DOHC stamped on to it somewhere then you either have a SOHC VTEC-E, or the SOHC VTEC.

Who wants to argue? I got all day to break this stuff down barney style for you folks.

Originally posted by Domeskilla+Mar 2 2003, 12:25 AM-->
pissedoffsol
@Mar 2 2003, 12:02 AM

Then why does ls and b20 make more tq? They dont have vtec. None of the vtec engines produce more tq then a b20. ITR makes the same i think 140 (or is it 130)

but it is because the ls has a slight more displacement and b20 has alot more displacement.

VTEC was a performance device to make gas freinly cars more appealing. Would a b18c with a LS head (just to keep the displacements the same) and a b18c with the exact same everything with everything built up make the same #'s? Probally pretty close once the b18c goes into VTEC because then they have the same stuff working but the b18c will have better gas millage.

Vtec makes an engine get gas millage of an 8v but performance of a 16v. It is a great concept. And about that one guy on the other thread that said that porsche was the creater of VTEC, i dont think that he is right, I thought that it was ford back in the early 60's but they could never master it.

Originally posted by Vexamus@Mar 2 2003, 12:40 AM
The Civic HX, for example is really a VTEC-E (Efficiency), and is tuned for outstanding gas mileage.

The VTECe did not come until the civic VX

While the B20 has more torque than the ITR, the ITR has much more tunability. With the right cams and the right tuning, the ITR has the potential to have a much broader torque curve than the B20.

All the Yota drivers I have known personally have been really touchy about how fast their cars are compared to other cars on the market. Escpecially Supra drivers. I love the sig from the auto Supra driver
If it's not a Supra, it's not fast.

Ignorance must be bliss.

Originally posted by Vexamus@Mar 1 2003, 10:40 PM
Who wants to argue? I got all day to break this stuff down barney style for you folks.

We need a dickhead emoticon. :sleep:

Thanks, but I'd rather not have to see that...

I was thinking more of the :whatafucktard: style expect it said what a dickhead or something along those lines.

Please keep your junk off the board. :D Please...

Originally posted by asmallsol+Mar 2 2003, 12:47 AM-->
Originally posted by Domeskilla@Mar 2 2003, 12:25 AM
pissedoffsol
@Mar 2 2003, 12:02 AM

but it is because the ls has a slight more displacement and b20 has alot more displacement.

VTEC was a performance device to make gas freinly cars more appealing. Would a b18c with a LS head (just to keep the displacements the same) and a b18c with the exact same everything with everything built up make the same #'s? Probally pretty close once the b18c goes into VTEC because then they have the same stuff working but the b18c will have better gas millage.

Vtec makes an engine get gas millage of an 8v but performance of a 16v. It is a great concept. And about that one guy on the other thread that said that porsche was the creater of VTEC, i dont think that he is right, I thought that it was ford back in the early 60's but they could never master it.

I know that, but we never talked about driving it or modifying it. It was simply B said they make more tq.. they dont, until modified.

I know what vtec is :). More displacement? ls and b18c1 and b18c/r are all 1.8 liters, the STROKE is different. Yes, the b20 is bigger.. but my argument was on B saying vtec makes more tq.. never said anything about what rpm range, modded. I took it as simply, stock engines.

Originally posted by Domeskilla+Mar 2 2003, 01:10 AM-->
Originally posted by asmallsol@Mar 2 2003, 12:50 AM
Vexamus
@Mar 2 2003, 12:40 AM
The Civic HX, for example is really a VTEC-E (Efficiency), and is tuned for outstanding gas mileage.

The VTECe did not come until the civic VX

Until the VX? The HX didn't come out till 6th gens, VX was 5th gens. :)

he's just full of misinformation in this thread...

If VTEC only kicks in at very high RPMs .. I wonder how it's increasing fuel effeciency? It seems like a big fat performance option rather than a nice econmical method of creating additional fuel effeciency.

I understand it does create more effeciency, duh .. since it's changing the cam settings, but still .. at that higher rpm level, ur already using a ton more gas. Does it really help ur fuel effeciency thhattt much? How many times does the average driver (no, not you), rev to the point where VTEC kicks in? (I actually don't know this, It's a real question)

Back