vtec help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

webhead

hi I have an ej2 which was a d15b7 now has a b16a2 engine and gearbox , p28 ecu.

I put a b16a2 engine in that was from something that was obd2a , but I used the d15 engine harness now the car runs great but no vtec , tried ecu on m8 same car same engine and he gets vtec , tried my solenoid he gets vtec .

so I have good ecu good solenoid good oil pressure vtec wire says its working and no cel codes, everything seems correct but she will not kick in .

the only thing I can think of is the distributer dizzy was obd2a , and I put my old d15 obd1 plugs onit as it looked like the wires had same colors and I put them in same place .

could this be the problem but I have engine working and rev counter surely if I got this wrong it wouldn't start.

its a bugger I cant thinkof anything else it could be seems everything says is correct but it must be something or it would work.

so please can somebody throw me a life line as its driving me crazy.

hi yes but I took cam cover off and looks a bit sludgy , so im going to clean it all out and put some new il and filter on to see if it works, I think it could all be blocked from standing so long, Ill fluch it tomorrow and let you know if its worked , if it don't then hello I got no clue.

If the solenoid is good and it's wired right then it has to be that probably just sludge. Vehicle speed, rpm, and oil pressure once those conditions are met it should work.

hi yep done the engine clean a few times lovly clean oil new cap pressure good , but still no vtec lol ,
and engine is only going to 7500rpm before limiter which is wrong mine is set to 9k so , its got to be the dizzy , I put the 2 plugs onto the obd2 dizzy but are there any differences to make it screw up.

should I take my obd1 d15 guts of dizzy out and put into the b16 dizzy .

this seems the last thing it can be as everything works on another car same car same engine so I know the parts are fine apart from dizzy my m8 wont let me change that over to test lol.

hi it has got a knock sensor but its not wired and its disabled in the ecu bin ,my friend got same car same engine but his never came with knock sensor and were using same bin file plus my ecu works on his car perfect its basicly a clone.

that's why I haven't wired it up .

what about the map sensor , are they different from an obd1 to obd2a , the 1 im using is obd2a on my obd1 engine harness?

checked dizzy and its all wired fine according wiring diagrams ,so im still stumped.

Did you check the screen filters inside the solenoid itself... there is two in there that need to be clean.

hi yes I put my solenoid on m8s car works perfectly , and I put his on mine but same and I know his works . so defo not that.

I looked a map sensor and the obd2a had diferent part number so I swapped that over to my obd1 map sensor ,don't know if they are still the same or not.

I had this problem when I put his conversion in and his was map sensor aswell.

but I haven't tried it yet will later see what happens , I feel like im going insane now lol , I have done 4 swaps already this year and everything was great but my own swap and im getting this agro , sods law.

Check the wiring of the plugs to make sure you put all the wires in the right spot. Also Is the vss working? Vtec will not kick in if the vss is malfunctioning.
distchart.jpg

Last edited:
If your speedometer is working then your vss is most likely working. I can get you a copy of the troubleshooting flow chart when I get home, but you might be able download a copy of the helms manual for your car/engine. Just google it and try find one. That will give you steps to use for troutroubleshooting.

Yea if your speedometer is working, your VSS is fine.

I am wondering if it has anything to do with the CKF (Crank Fluctuation Sensor), but you should be throwing CEL (actually not since the P28 doesn't look for it). I don't know, some piece of information is missing here, there's nothing subjective about this, if the parts work and the required conditions are met it works, so either you're leaving something out, or the parts don't work.

http://ff-squad.com/wp/?p=309

Last edited:
well today I drove it around and I suddenly got a engine light on woohooo .

but when I jump the blue wire it seems like the system isn't working very well as its very slow not like my friends his seems easyier to understand as its working better , its like I got a duff battery and its all dim and slow.

so tomorrow ill put charger onit and try and work out the code.

looking at my earth straps they look like they have seen better days green and mouldy looking poop , so I think ill change them and see if it speeds up the cel light defo poor earth and voltage , even though it drives , but I had no cel but now I have only comes on if I drive it, I heard some civics you got to pull over and leave running and jump it to see the code is this right?

well tested everything cant work out code as its not working properly, the only thing I haven't tested is the vss on the gearbox ,can you speedo and rev work even though its faulty , anyone know how to test 1 cheers.

Did you look into the link I sent about the CKF? As far as your VSS and I am going to guess you meant tachometer, generally no, if they are faulty, then they don't work, or at least are obviously off.

well it could be off as the engine is only going to 7500rpm and the ecu is set for 9100.
just wondering if the vs is semi working, as everything has been tested on same engine in another car and all parts are working ,the only thing I haven't tested or can test is the vss , my friends gearbox is different he has the old version , my vss is the shitty black plastic 1 that's held in with 1 bolt.

It could be that your tach is lazy, or your VSS isn't functioning up to par, but I doubt it. It almost sounds like it's in limp mode, but 7,500rpm is too high, except that you have a custom bin sooo who knows how that would effect limp mode.

You still haven't answered whether you looked into the CKF. Don't get stuck going round and round on things that are not likely (VSS/tach), and have pretty much been ruled out and start looking into new possibilities.

Back