vtec trouble.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

driverunknown

Vtec engages fine, but if I stay in it too long or I drive spirited, as in passing cars on the freeway in fourth gear, switching in and out of vtec, the car starts to cut vtec out. I have plenty of oil, no cel lights, and when I am over the vtec crossover the engine has a weird clicking noise, almost a tapping. The only mods to the engine is my short ram intake and a hondata gasket. please help :)

once again i refer to my friends car. sometimes on interstate and stuff he would start to punch it and at some point in the vtec it would act as if it were hitting rev limitor, somtime at 5500, sometimes 6200. we tested the solonoid and it worked fine. the guess was sometimes it gets hung open? thats what the mechanics were saying. strange thing is if my friend would disconnect his battery and reset the ecu it would work fine for a while. i still dont understand but thats what the mechanics conclusion was.

I just had a valve adjustment made last month by a mechanic. It goes out after a while like hollowjdm's friends car. It sounds like it wants to hit, but doesn't because I hear some clicking/tapping noise.

First thing i'd check is the screen, pop off the solenoid and see if it is getting clogged, sounds like something is impeding the oil passages, then do some continuity checks on the solenoid, and check all you wiring, as a last resort pop off the VC, pull the cams and check the rockers, and LMAs. Maybe even pull off the oil pump and have a look.

damn I don't want to take the damn thing apart. The wiring is fine as I just fixed a code 22 today. oil level is about half a millimeter before the full mark. Thanks for your help guys, I just might tear the head apart when I have some time. Worst/best case scenario cams are fucked and I can upgrade my top end :) :(

Eliminate all teh possibilities outside the head first, then move on to the insides.

timing. check your timing. make sure the cam gears are lined up with the crank pulley at 16* at idel.
make sure your distributor is not over avanced either.

ok so my cel came code 22 yesterday so I changed the pressure switch for a brand spanking new one and totally redid the wire for it. No cel and the vtec kicks in good, but I still have to try it out of rextended periods of time to see if that was the problem. i'll update as I drive in the next few days. thanks guys.

so...I still have the problem after driving around in vtec. It sounds bad when it cuts out. Should I take the valve cover off first? or the oil pan? (It's a bit dented and I think that as the oil moves around, that it just wont get enough pressure to keep vtec engaged).

Originally posted by driverunknown@Jun 12 2005, 08:54 PM
so...I still have the problem after driving around in vtec. It sounds bad when it cuts out. Should I take the valve cover off first? or the oil pan? (It's a bit dented and I think that as the oil moves around, that it just wont get enough pressure to keep vtec engaged).
[post=511531]Quoted post[/post]​

Sounds to me like the dented oil pan is impeding your oil pickup. Take off the pan and have a look.

Fuck getting used parts that have "a couple little dings" I am through with that shit. My honda dealer price matches with majestic honda's sell price, so I am picking one up later today. I must apologize to my car for my wallet being so damn stingy. :(

check and see if the oil pickup is being impeded or something, if not i would buy an oil pressure gauge and see what it looks like when VTEC drops out. they are cheap enough and you will know right there if its a pressure problem. and if it is you have more to worry about than VTEC kicking out, like your bearings starving for oil.

yah really. I still have to drive it because the pan wont come in till friday and it's my only car, so I have to drive it easy. Mileage should pick up though. oh well. :) :( At least I have the money to fix it now. Updates when the pan is installed. I am going to pick up an oil gauge also, but I wont test until the new pan is in.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Pan came in early(wed), so I go to change the gasket and guess what? It was on wrong! So I need a new gasket, but do I need hondabond on the thing? The manual doesn't say whether i should or shouldn't. Please help me out you professional guys out there!!!

I didn't use Hondabond on my oil pan.

Back