VW...well...oops..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

get_nick

These snozzberries taste like snozzberries...
VIP
VW just did something beyond ridiculous. They added a software algorithm that would make it so the car knew when it was getting emissions testing and would reduce the emissions.

Stock is down 20% and they could face $18 BILLION in fines.
giphy.gif

http://jalopnik.com/your-guide-to-dieselgate-volkswagens-diesel-cheating-c-1731857018

read about this the other day. the issue was actually identified by some people at WVU (my alma mater)

they really screwed the pooch.

read about this the other day. the issue was actually identified by some people at WVU (my alma mater)

they really screwed the pooch.
And the sad thing is, the testing was being done to show how awesome TDI cars are. Smog testing good, road testing bad.

Wow. So ridiculous. VW is going to take such a huge hit.

i think i's kinda funny. plug this in and reduce emissions!

if(detect(odbport)){ leanburn ++ }

who needs emissions industrial engineers when you can have emissions computer science engineers?

Seriously, the world is going to be run by computer engineers. I don't understand 95% of other education programs. Yeah, we need doctors and lawyers and shit, but if you want a job in the future, understanding technology is the key.

i'm curious just how much the diesel's sucked under the smog regs that it was necessary to do this sort of thing.
i also wonder how much pollutants come out of the diesel cars that are being chipped by end users for substantial gains

i'm curious just how much the diesel's sucked under the smog regs that it was necessary to do this sort of thing.
i also wonder how much pollutants come out of the diesel cars that are being chipped by end users for substantial gains
A fuck-ton. All that black smoke pouring out when the dbags are "rollin coal" is unburned or partially burned fuel. On top of that, the only thing that keeps OE's from making all that power stock is NOx and CO2 emissions.

Personally, I think the coolest thing about a diesel is the ability to use biodiesel.

You could run your spark ignition car on alcohol if you upgraded the fuel system.

this shit is getting out of hand very quick.

expect MASSIVE change to the auto industry and testing regulations coming soon.

eg, obd3 that's a gov't mandated and owned chip

this shit is getting out of hand very quick.

expect MASSIVE change to the auto industry and testing regulations coming soon.

eg, obd3 that's a gov't mandated and owned chip

big brother is going to LOVE this.

Yup. and it's a crock of shit. they only failed CARB. so they are still 49 state legal. but still the whole industry is going to go ass over teakettle over this.

If they fail CARB, they fail in a lot of other states too...

Maryland requires CARB compliance for new cars. We only get California cars here.

is that for gas though? i know it's popular for some states like md, ny, etc to follow ca for gas emissions. but few states have even adapted disel emissions.

Apparently a bunch of semi manufacturers got caught doing something very similar to this in the 90's too, it was big-ish back then, only people like to jump all over stuff like this much more nowadays.

EDIT: CEO resigns

Apparently a bunch of semi manufacturers got caught doing something very similar to this in the 90's too, it was big-ish back then, only people like to jump all over stuff like this much more nowadays.

EDIT: CEO resigns
Which ones?

Navistar bet on EGR in 2010 instead of SCR and they didn't make the cut and had to pay fines on every truck sold until 2015. Almost put them out of business. All oem's are using DEF and DPF in addition for after treatment.

Edit: Found it. http://www.justice.gov/enrd/diesel-engines

United States v. Caterpillar, Inc.
United States v. Cummins Engine Company
United States v. Detroit Diesel Corporation
United States v. Mack Trucks, Incorporated
United States v. Navistar International Transportation Corporation
United States v. Renault Vehicules Industriels
United States. v. Volvo Truck Corporation

Last edited:
Back