Warped Rotors

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
Just going to put this article here for right now.
We've all heard about the warped brake rotors and brake pedal pulsation.
This article lays out some things that might cause premature brake failure.
I found it while doing some research on the subject and this seems to really make sense to me.

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=1787

Opinions?
I don't typically torque my wheels on re-installation, but i also have a Tacoma that seems to need new rotors every 9-12 months. Going to give this a try and see what happens.

Assuming discount tire.com torque information is accurate honda and toyots only call for 80 ft lbs of torque on wheels studs. somethings tells me my breaker bar is way too much leverage for this application.

I (and my students) use torque sticks to torque our lugs back on when appropriate. If we don't have a stick that fits the recommendation then we use and actual wrench. The interesting thing to me was the fact that people don't use the star pattern and simply go in a circle after being hand tight.

My 1/2 inch impact has several settings. The low setting is perfect for torquing a normal wheel/tire. I do use a star pattern. I partially tighten in sequence, then go back around for full torque in sequence. Never a circle.

Back