WD My Passport Problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

newb

phresh
VIP
Ok, so Ive got a WD My Passport 500GB external that I keep all my non essential stuff on. I use it with my laptop running Windows 7. They have worked together fine for a few years now. Recently, the external stopped showing up in my drive browser when I plugged it in. Beyond that, it would freeze my drive browser and control panel and all that kind of stuff. When I check the device manager, the external doesnt show up until I plug it in. Then the WD program shows up at the bottom of the list, and the drive itself shows up in the USB section. I tried updating the driver, with no luck. If I uninstall, the computer locks up and I have to shut it down. But, then the drive will work fine. Until I shut the computer off. the next time I try it, same thing.

Does anyone have any tips, or know whats goin on? Is the external toast? Like I said, I can make it work to get my stuff off it, its just a pain in the ass.

Thanks.

Might be able to open it up.

Tried it in all 4 USB ports. No difference. I havent tried it with any other computers tho. Whats IRQ?

My TV has a USB port in it, and when I plug the external into it to play movies, it works fine. Every time. Could that have done anything to the external to make it not work with the comp?

Ill try another machine when I can, only own the one now.

Thanks for the link. I kinda understand, but a lot of that is over my head lol.

So, if Windows is the culprit, is there a repair or update that I can load?

try using the add/remove hardware option to remove it from the system. unplug. reboot. then re-plug in and let windows do its auto detect thing again

Ok. Ill give it a shot. Thanks.

My phone just started actin up too. But, this time I could update the driver. Ill see if that helps that problem.

Back