Well, first time i've ever been "let go"

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

invisibledemon

Bored
VIP
Been doing parts at a dealership in town since january, and we got a new parts "director" june 1st. nobody was told about this, not even the parts manager until the day he came in.
the guy came from another dealership of the same brand and was brought in to up the wholesale side of things. which is pretty much pointless bc he spent so long building up the wholesale at his previous store that they dominate the market around here. its already too well established. even when i worked parts at a body shop we used his store bc they have everything and have the people to get it there quickly.
they have the money invested in the inventory, and they had the staff to get it done.

I pretty much knew from the day he started that my time there was limited. being a full time student meant that in august i pretty much go to part time. while school is in session i only work 4 days a week there. two days during the week were class days and not open on sundays. plus, we now had an extra parts guy on the counter since they demoted the manager down to assistant. so, now we had the same amount of total sales, but more money being spent on staff. doesnt bode well. I even asked him on his second week there about my future with the company since he was obviously trying to build up sales and my school schedule seemed to me to be a conflict. he said it all seemed fine and that i had nothing to worry about, no plans on letting anybody go.

so, at the end of today, they asked me to join in the service managers office and let me go.
im not actually upset at losing the job, i personally did not like his managing style, i disagreed a lot with what changes he was making, but did what was asked of me.
it wasnt unexpected, even though he told me that i would not be let go, what he said and what i heard were two different things. i was just hoping to at least make it til school started back.
just kinda sucks that he lied to me, and being let go from a job for the first time.

oh well. now to start the hunt.

I once got let go after 2 days because they "didn't think I'd be happy here." lol

It was a pest control place that had no real start-end times. One day you may start at 5 am and end your day by 2 pm, the next day you may not come in until noon and work to 9. I asked if I could get a set schedule in the morning, they said no when I got back after working all day, then told me that. I find it comical now, but I didn't like that I had to go get that one paycheck.

im in the midst of questioning my moral stance against programs such as unemployment.

to me, it falls in the category of government assistance.

Sorry to hear man. Regime changes tend to have that effect. And usually, like in your case, the little guys get hosed, and are kept in the dark.

I think there is a HARD separation between unemployment and welfare. I know when I was self employed, then short term employed for a general contractor, and business died, I'd of killed for unemployment. Took me months to find a career job. Maybe its just me, and not disagreeing with your morals, but I know I'm not above taking unemployment if I unfairly lost my position.

some people view it as government assistance... and then some realize that it is money that has already been paid into the insurance fund, either through direct withholding from your paycheck, or as part of your employer's payroll taxes for you. plus, if you collect on it, it will increase your ex employer's current and future unemployment rate, so its a nice little fuck you back at them.
its called unemployment insurance for a reason. not unemployment assistance.

you know i'm against all that shit as well... but unemployment is not one of them. It's something you paid to have. It's like crashing your car and then paying cash to fix it instead of going through insurance cuz you feel bad.....

make sure you burn the place to the ground.

Archer-malory-4.jpg

You will spend the rest of your life paying into unemployment. Hell you have already payed into it. Nothing wrong with leveraging the system you are already paying for. The fact you are hesitant about using it shows you won't be a dick bag with it.

Sorry to hear about the job loss.

I agree with everyone else as far as the unemployment is concerned. It's not welfare/ food stamps/ etc. Nothing to feel bad about. It would be akin to retiring and feeling bad about collecting social security. Need to make sure the family is taken care of first and foremost, and if that's what it takes, that's what you do.

Even if you can find a part time job, you can still file as "underemployed", and collect a paycheck and unemployment at the same time.

On a side note, does this make you think any differently about school? I believe you said you weren't really concerned about getting a degree with which you could earn a good living. I'm probably generalizing, but this would be a wake up call for me.

April of this year I was let go. At 28, I started collecting unemployment for the first time. It is definitely helpful in finding a new job. Focus on getting a good gig and not just paying the bills. Also, get your to-do list done. I've tackled mine, my parents, and both my sisters' lists. Plus, I got to enjoy a little more summer than usual. Unemployment is not a bad thing.

Doesn't really change my view about school. As I said before, if it helps land me a great job then awesome, but I won't be disappointed if it doesn't. I really can't wait til this next semester starts, super excited. but, i know plenty of people with a fancy degree in the same boat im in. so, not banking on that. school is fun.

ive already started a little to do list, unfortunately some of it requires me to spend money, so will be doing that last. lol. but i have a couple of little stumps i need to dig up, move some rocks, fill some holes. probably borrow my father in laws pressure washer and clean the sidewalks and walls. little things like that. i'll probably wait a week to start the hunt. work on the house during the day and try to get my resume looking good in the evenings.

Join an apprenticeship program maybe? Plumbing pays awesome. So does electrical. Just joined an electrician apprenticeship. I will be making $42 an hour in 5 years. Starts out at $18.50 too. Medical is awesome. I don't pay a dime and they cover me, Brittany (once we are married and 15 kids, not that we want ANY).

Nah, not my cup of tea. I couldn't crawl under houses and have zero desire to have to do that kind of work in the summer humidity that we have down here. Would be absolutely miserable lol. I have an uncle that's a plumber, seems he's constantly working. He posts pics on fb showing the foul shit he has to do

Doesn't really change my view about school. As I said before, if it helps land me a great job then awesome, but I won't be disappointed if it doesn't. I really can't wait til this next semester starts, super excited. but, i know plenty of people with a fancy degree in the same boat im in. so, not banking on that. school is fun.

ive already started a little to do list, unfortunately some of it requires me to spend money, so will be doing that last. lol. but i have a couple of little stumps i need to dig up, move some rocks, fill some holes. probably borrow my father in laws pressure washer and clean the sidewalks and walls. little things like that. i'll probably wait a week to start the hunt. work on the house during the day and try to get my resume looking good in the evenings.
I've actually made a little cash power washing this summer. Nothing consistent, but a few hundred bucks here and there is great for easy, outdoor work.

Nah, not my cup of tea. I couldn't crawl under houses and have zero desire to have to do that kind of work in the summer humidity that we have down here. Would be absolutely miserable lol. I have an uncle that's a plumber, seems he's constantly working. He posts pics on fb showing the foul shit he has to do

So you don't want to work that hard. And you don't want to get a degree that will help you get a job in any particular field. But you're looking forward to next semester.

What are you studying, and what DO you want to do? You can't want to be a parts counter guy for the rest of your life.

Maybe getting into an apprenticeship type of program now would allow you to do something else down the road. Just food for thought.

i have no problem working hard, dont get that confused with not wanting to do that particular type of work.
i have zero desire to even go into the crawl spaces in my own home, i hate that kind of stuff. i would hate to have to do it everyday. would be even more miserable than doing parts.

im studying foreign language. start german this coming semester. as well as comp 2, us history, political science, and world religion. im stoked. will be adding french when i transfer. i love learning. i love the intellectual stimulation and meeting people. school is like a hobby for me. if i could afford to do only school for the rest of my life i would be happy.

as far as what i want to do as a career, i have no idea. what i want to do is to travel and meet people. talk to them, get to know them and their cultures. learn. my wife is a stay at home mom and the kids will be home schooled. the only limitation we will have as far as travel is whatever job i have.
i know i dont want to do anything car related really. i dont enjoy working on them anymore, and im just tired of the auto industry in general.

Back