What Cams...??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i am gonna be running 13:1 cp i was wondering what type of cams i should run.....I have a GSR motor

Originally posted by Quiklilefr@May 21 2005, 12:57 PM
i am gonna be running 13:1 cp i was wondering what type of cams i should run.....I have a GSR motor
[post=502021]Quoted post[/post]​

with that kind of compression i wouldn't run anything less than stage 2 anything. IMO i like the Toda Spec C's and i've heard good things about the Buddy Club 4's...it's all about your budget. If you decide to go Skunk2, check out the OBX Cams. They have the same specs between each stage and there's people on Honda-Tech using them with no problems. Just go to their site and search "OBX Cams" if your not too sure about their reliability.

Crane's Roller Cams.

13:1 is stupid high, and you will be running race gas only. You will need a true roller cam to take full advantage of that compression. Stage 2 and 3 cams are for 10.5 - 12:1 compression. Expect 250 whp and 5k or more to build. Not to mention, not street legal, never smogable, and on the razors edge of exploding every time you race it. I would rethink the whole 13:1 cr.

13:1 is streetable and pump-gasable if its tuned right. don't let that discourage you. you will NEED a standalone of some sort... hondata, uberdata, crome, or better..

sl2 stg3's or skunk2 pro's are a good choice.

make sure you have the valve train to hold it all together

a buddy of mine is running 13:1 CP in n LS/Vtec all he has is Vtec Controller..N AEM Cam Gears n has had no problems he has had the car for almost 2 yrs n races ALOT....Runs 93 OCT....

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+May 23 2005, 02:30 PM-->
13:1 is streetable and pump-gasable if its tuned right. don't let that discourage you. you will NEED a standalone of some sort... hondata, uberdata, crome, or better..

sl2 stg3's or skunk2 pro's are a good choice.

make sure you have the valve train to hold it all together
[post=502596]Quoted post[/post]​

Quiklilefr
@May 23 2005, 03:15 PM
a buddy of mine is running 13:1 CP in n LS/Vtec all he has is Vtec Controller..N AEM Cam Gears n has had no problems he has had the car for almost 2 yrs n races ALOT....Runs 93 OCT....
[post=502622]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, first off, I live in CA in can only get ahold of 91 octane, so in fact where I live NO, 13:1 is strictly race gas. (Brian inserts reason #43222453786 why Cali sucks here) :fuckyou2:

Secondly, there is a big difference between an off the shelf piston with a 13:1 compression ratio and a motor with an actual compression ratio of 13:1. Ask any real engine builder and they will tell you that there is NO way you are running 13:1 on 93 or lower octane SAFELY for any EXTENDED period of time. 12.5:1 seems to be about the max. And here in CA the shop that built my motor MADE me put in a thicker head gasket to lower my CR from 12.3:1 to 11.7:1. That is the absolute highest any reputable shop in CA will let you get away with on 91.

I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm just throwing in my two cents as usual. :D I'm just getting done dropping about 4 grand on my LS/VTEC and over the course of the last 2 months I have talked to a ton of engine builders. Reliability is an often over-looked thing when building these motors, and when you spend that much on just your engine, you probably want it to last. It's better to be safe than sorry in my opinion. I'm sure even Brian would have to agree with that. :p

:shrug2:

I'm running right up against 13:1 compression now just fine on 93 octane- the only problem I have is a tune that's too aggressive and injectors that can't feed the engine up top. I ran 12.6:1 on 92 octane for 45k miles. It's not hard with the right tuning. There's actually a guy out in Cali running 12.8:1 on a D block with pump gas. It's doable.

Originally posted by Calesta@May 24 2005, 09:57 PM
:shrug2:

I'm running right up against 13:1 compression now just fine on 93 octane- the only problem I have is a tune that's too aggressive and injectors that can't feed the engine up top.  I ran 12.6:1 on 92 octane for 45k miles.  It's not hard with the right tuning.  There's actually a guy out in Cali running 12.8:1 on a D block with pump gas.  It's doable.
[post=503151]Quoted post[/post]​

No offence Cal, but you live in texas right? And you know about some guy, in CA, that is running 12.8:1. I mean, that's one, in like 10,000 built hondas, between you and that guy. :D

I said I wasn't trying to start a fight either. :) I'm just saying that It's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to building motors IMO. I also know that the tuning and fuel system are critical, but the higher the compression is, the harder the strain on all your components.

BTW Cal - is that 13:1 in your b20/vtec? Still got the white fo-do? B)

Back