What Carbon Fiber Hood Do You Reccomend?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

machine

Banned
I want to get a cf hood for my 2000 Civic EX and want to know what to get. I know VIS makes a good hood but it weighs damn near the same as a stock metal one! I really don't want to use hood pins,goin for stealth look. Any suggestions? Also can you paint carbon fiber to match exterior color?

cf hoods can be paint i know that, other then that i dont really care for cf hoods so i would know anything about what brand is better then the others, triplediget? was selling some in the vender section of market a little while back take a look there

Originally posted by FFCiv@Apr 2 2003, 07:57 PM
a painted one is what i reccomend

yea same here, i think just the cf on some cars looks scratchie and cheap

how strong is cf compared to just regular hoods, i know cf can take large loads but how is it in comparison to the stock hood?

well I know a shop here had one that was all scratched up and when I went in I asked the same thing. He laid it down on the ground and let me stand on the center of it and it didn't even bend! Try that on a stock hood. I really want function over form and i will probably get the cf trunk as well just to save additional weight.

The thing that I see bad about the CF trunk is that your car as a FFD setup, the front/rear weight ratio is already extremly basis toward the front. Taking weight of the back will just further this effect. For Drag, it would not be a bad idea but for handling, it is not as funtional.

2 bad parts about CF that I have seen/think.

One, they take away from the whole sleeper look and the unpainted are played out. The Eclipse on FnF made it popular
The clear coat on them sucks. I have seen a few cf hoad look like they have been sand blasted due to road elements.

Painted is the only way to go. On inlinefour.com, there CF hood brand has a link on there page. They have a vid of a car running over a CF hood, returns fine. Another one is of a person jumping on one. Acts like a trampoline.

Only safty concern I have heard from them is that they are TOO strong in crashes sometime and instead of bending/braking, they just get pushed back and you will have the edge go flying through your windsheild and could possible make you a turn from 6 ft to 5 ft 2 inches real quick.

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Apr 2 2003, 10:27 PM
i heard Fiber Images makes good hoods.

Yea me to, i think that is the brand that inlinefour sells. I would talk to colorpros also. He paints cars and was commeting on some of the CF hoods fits in another thread.

ive heard a lot of stories about cfs flying off at highway speeds.. so grip load of peeps recommended hood pins/locks.. also, some generic companies just lay a sheet of cf on stock so the whole thing isnt cf just guilded in it.. and other breaks easier than the rest.. its all in the weave and type.. thats about as much as i kno :lol: dont exactly know what companies are uber to the others.. anyway, peace

fiber images is good quality and i have their carbon fiber trunklid it really help on my del sol with the handling it kind of reduced the understeer a little bit so fuck everyone who says a carbon fiber trunklid is not good

ideal front/rear weight distribution is 60/40
the sol is very close to this stock ... how would lowering the weight in the rear (thus increasing the distribution to the front of the car) help reduce understeer ... if anything it would increase the cars tendancy for understeer

Why is 60/40 ideal? I know this cant be prefered over 50/50, so why wouldnt someone try to get closer to 50/50? I know getting a carbon trunk wont help though....

50/50 is ideal for (front engine) RWD cars... this gives equal static weight distribution on the drive wheels (rear) and the turning wheels (front)
with a FWD car the front wheels do all the work this requires more traction hence the 60/40
you dont want too much of the weight to be at the front or rear or the handling will suffer

the 60/40 is not a 100% set in stone standard it will float around slightly depending on the specific car but it will be close... there are several variables involved that would effect this but that is the general rule

it helped me because when i put it on i found it easier to make the rear end slide when turning hard it made a big deal the way i drive it might have been just removing the factory wing when i installed the carbon fiber trunklid but whichever it was made the car handle better to my driving style

speaking of CF products , is there anyone who makes CF parts to OEM specks ??
or are they always just a bit differnet and look nothing like a stock hood per say.
I've thought about getting some CF in the future after I do a swap etc...
but I want everything to look like a stock CRX painted and all.

Originally posted by TRuggiero_@Apr 3 2003, 04:41 AM
Fiber Images, VIS, or Spoon

:werd: i can back VIS, the quality of my hood is pimp

i have a fiber images on my wagon and it's nice, clear coat is still perfect after a year so far.

ive heard a lot of stories about cfs flying off at highway speeds.. so grip load of peeps recommended hood pins/locks..

honestly i think a lot of this is just not closing the hood all the way.....with how much less they weigh you really have to slam em to get em to latch all the way

Back