What did your compression test read?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phyregod

!!YTINASNI
I'm about to compression test my new motor.

I'm curious what it is going to read, I had the head decked "as much as possible".. and polished combustion chambers with deshrouded valves. Otherwise, it is a stock B18A1 as far as compression is concerned. What did yours read?

I'll post mine when I'm done today.

^^Woah, thats way too high. Mine was 175-180psi all across...and from what I hear, that is pretty normal for b-series honda engines.

Originally posted by B16CRX@Jul 23 2005, 07:51 PM
my stock b16A scored 235 all the way accross. 10.2:1 CR
[post=530263]Quoted post[/post]​

whoa... aren't they supposed to be around 210?

Originally posted by phyregod@Jul 23 2005, 10:02 AM
I'm about to compression test my new motor.

I'm curious what it is going to read, I had the head decked "as much as possible".. and polished combustion chambers with deshrouded valves. Otherwise, it is a stock B18A1 as far as compression is concerned. What did yours read?

I'll post mine when I'm done today.
[post=530160]Quoted post[/post]​

cool. I deshrouded and polished my chambers as well, but left the stock deck height, and opted for some custom 11.5:1 CP slugs. Eager to see your results.

250 all the way across

and having high compression numbers from a test is not bad, also it may not have been done 100% correctly.

Got 270 all across with a 12:1 CR (Redecked block of .10 and milled head off .15)

Got:

1 267
2 276
3 265
4 269

on 12.8:1 compression, only 4 pumps on gauge- any more and it would top out the compression tester.

Thanks! If I had let it keep pumping to where it stopped moving the needle, I would have needed a 400psi gauge... it would have topped out somewhere in the 350 range probably.

Originally posted by 97CTR@Jul 24 2005, 01:42 PM
250 all the way across

and having high compression numbers from a test is not bad, also it may not have been done 100% correctly.
[post=530436]Quoted post[/post]​

My compression test was done correctly. Its not easy to screw that up. lol. I always heard 230's was normal for a b16.

Manual says compression tests should be done when the engine is at operating temp. I'll bet half of you did it while cold. Which is why everyone's readings seem high...

This is straight from the service manual VTEC Supplement OBD0 B16a 10.2:1

Notice the standards... 185 psi...

compression.jpg

Originally posted by DTEC@Jul 27 2005, 08:37 AM
Manual says compression tests should be done when the engine is at operating temp. I'll bet half of you did it while cold. Which is why everyone's readings seem high...

This is straight from the service manual VTEC Supplement OBD0 B16a 10.2:1

Notice the standards... 185 psi

LOL I like #7.
"when pressure is high, inspect the following item: accumulated carbon on piston and cylinder head"

JDM compression raise, yo!! :)

that guide sucks. Doesn't tell you how many times to crank the engine over, doesn't tell you to depress the gas pedal while doing the test either. And I remove my FI fuse so I am not still spraying gas into my cylinders also.

Originally posted by 97CTR@Jul 27 2005, 01:35 PM
that guide sucks. Doesn't tell you how many times to crank the engine over, doesn't tell you to depress the gas pedal while doing the test either. And I remove my FI fuse so I am not still spraying gas into my cylinders also.
[post=531999]Quoted post[/post]​

same here, only I just flip my fuel pump kill switch. and crank until teh needle stops. (with accelerator floored of course)

Back