What do I need to beat a mustang?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
So i have three diffrent chassis, all three with swaps...

my friend just picked up a 93 convertible mustang gt with the 5.0...
as of now its got the stock gears and motor, but he's looking to go super charged in the future...

so i want to know what i need to be able to smoke this stang...
haven;t raced him yet, but i think i'll be put to shame...

i have my 86 crx with the d16a1
a 90 hatch with a d16z6
and a 95 integra with h22

the integra won;t be on the road till next summer ish so i'm looking at the other 2 cars for now...
my plans for the hatch include a custom turbo setup with proper managment...
how much HP do you think i need to pull on a stock stang? and how much to compete with a 5.0 with 6 pounds of supercharged boost running an FMU...

Is the Mustang 5 speed or auto?

If it's auto, it'll run about a 15.2+ stock. Manual's will run anything from a 14.2 to 15.0 depending on wether the douche can drive.

Soooo I/H/E on the Z6 or the A1 should be a close call.

yea, he can def drive...
he does have some nankang 18's in the rear, but they seem to hook up well without much spinning which suprised me...

its a 5 speed
he built many mustangs since he was 13 or 14 years old, then jumped into the honda game for a long time, so he's not just a typical domestic owner...

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Aug 23 2005, 11:41 AM
[post=544009]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid:

the H22'd teg will stomp the shit out of it

I say you stick the H22 into the 86 CRX. :D

pb250004.jpg

pb250010.jpg

It can be done! :D

Originally posted by reckedracing@Aug 23 2005, 08:49 AM
yea, he can def drive...
he does have some nankang 18's in the rear, but they seem to hook up well without much spinning which suprised me...

its a 5 speed
he built many mustangs since he was 13 or 14 years old, then jumped into the honda game for a long time, so he's not just a typical domestic owner...
[post=544014]Quoted post[/post]​

I hope he's planning on throwing away those hypereutectic pistons or whatever shit's in there. I know in 91 or 92 they went to shitty pistons in the 5.0

5.0's arent really that fast. spend like 1200 bucks on a custom turbo for your d16z and call it a day, youll whoop him a new one daily.

you really think so?

i want to race him with the crx, its got a ghetto fab intake and cat free exhaust, but stock header... its peppy...

I say you stick the H22 into the 86 CRX.

HOLY SHIT
where did you find that and who did the swap?
that thing BARELY fits in there
lol
i would love to know what mounts were used, what front suspension, wiring? radiator? etc etc
looks like a horribly mind twisting swap...
lol

I hope he's planning on throwing away those hypereutectic pistons or whatever shit's in there. I know in 91 or 92 they went to shitty pistons in the 5.0

i dunno about the pistons, he's friends with a guy that built a drag 5.0 running low 8's before they finally sold it...
he had an ice water intercooler with a bilge pump that cycled the ice water 3 times during a 9 second quarter...
they also broke a v8 block in half... literally in half...

HMM to beat a mustang....give it 20k miles....That should do the trick

Originally posted by reckedracing@Aug 23 2005, 12:46 PM

you really think so?
[post=544038]Quoted post[/post]​

no question
i beat up on mustangs with my ITR swapped sol... and im not even set up for drag racing im set up for road course
an H22'd teg would most likely beat my sol in a 1/4 mile, therefore i see no reason why it would have any trouble with a mustang

i'd think the crx could do it the easiest, since it is the lightest chassis.
oddly enough performance to modification ratio between hondas and stangs are pretty similar, except the stangs owners pay alot more money for it.

lightest chassis, yes
but also the lowest HP rated motor...

and his reason for getting a mustang is that you can go faster for cheaper...
i'm not really sure that it is cheaper...

but when he's getting all his parts as sloppy seconds from his mustang friend that tosses out superchargers for 700 bucks i'm gonna have a hard time keeping up...

they also broke a v8 block in half... literally in half...
[post=544038]Quoted post[/post]​

5.0 blocks are very weak. They were made lightweight from the casting they're from. RELIABLY, they can only take about 500 hp.

Originally posted by Battle Pope+Aug 23 2005, 11:03 AM-->
Originally posted by reckedracing@Aug 23 2005, 08:49 AM
yea, he can def drive...

its a 5 speed
[post=544014]Quoted post[/post]​

[post=544022]Quoted post[/post]​

Hypereutectic Pistons were added on the 93 model cars. 86-92 are fully forged internals that are actually stronger than the block sans detonation.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 23 2005, 11:01 AM
wait till winter :p you'll smoke him all day uphills :p
[post=544019]Quoted post[/post]​

Not necessarily... EVERY V8 mustang since the late 60's has had Trac-lok. My Mustang does GREAT on ice.

jimboburgess
@Aug 23 2005, 03:19 PM
i'd think the crx could do it the easiest, since it is the lightest chassis.
oddly enough performance to modification ratio between hondas and stangs are pretty similar, except the stangs owners pay alot more money for it.
[post=544122]Quoted post[/post]​

How do you figure?! Mustang are UBER cheap to modify!

Originally posted by beau_safken@Aug 23 2005, 11:50 AM
HMM to beat a mustang....give it 20k miles....That should do the trick
[post=544040]Quoted post[/post]​

^ you win this thread :D

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Aug 23 2005, 10:41 AM
Is the Mustang 5 speed or auto?

If it's auto, it'll run about a 15.2+ stock. Manual's will run anything from a 14.2 to 15.0 depending on wether the douche can drive.

[post=544009]Quoted post[/post]​

wow... what? auto 99-04 GT's don't run 15.2s, and neither do 93 GT verts... At least not that I've ever seen. That very small difference between an auto and manual doesn't equal that kind of drivetrain power loss.

5.0 blocks are very weak. They were made lightweight from the casting they're from. RELIABLY, they can only take about 500 hp.

I see many 500 hp dyno proven 5.0s that have yet to have problems. I could have sworn the 5.0 is an all iron block? Where as the SOHC 4.6s are aluminum and the 03/04 Cobra engine was also iron thanks to the stock twinscrew?

IMO dump an ITR or GSR engine into that hatch, I/H/E, clutch, flywheel, suspension and tires and you'll pull on them damn near every time. (unless they're modded beyond belief)

Hypereutectic Pistons were added on the 93 model cars. 86-92 are fully forged internals that are actually stronger than the block sans detonation.

so what HP can you push on stock pistons?

wow... what? auto 99-04 GT's don't run 15.2s, and neither do 93 GT verts... At least not that I've ever seen. That very small difference between an auto and manual doesn't equal that kind of drivetrain power loss.

so realistically what does a 93 GT convert run in the 1/4 mile...?
stock rear gears, underdrive pulleys, 5 lug conversion, sub frame connectors, and stock motor, world class T5 trans...

IMO dump an ITR or GSR engine into that hatch, I/H/E, clutch, flywheel, suspension and tires and you'll pull on them damn near every time. (unless they're modded beyond belief)

whats beyond belief?
he's planning to run 6 pounds with an FMU

Back