What do you know about 4Runners?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

99sidude

VIP
My next door neighbors have a 2003 that has been sitting ever since I moved in over 3 years ago. I stopped over the other day and they asked if I was interested in buying it. They haven't tossed out a price yet.

What I do know - 103,000 miles. SR5 4.7 V8. It's sitting because a front half shaft went out. They said a boot tore, then a year later it started vibrating badly. So they parked it and financed a brand new 2010 Fusion (trans just died on them lol). The interior is clean. The tires are all flat and cracked. The brakes will likely need gone through and turned. I noticed these book for around $10k in nice shape. I wonder what a good price would be for this one? And are they worthwhile trucks to own?

That motor is nice, the electricals in them are a bit delicate though. Don't put one in water.

I would say about $5000 is good enough of a deal to start talking. The auto sucks balls (And I think that's all you got in that year) but the driveline is pretty solid. I'm very surprised to see the front shaft gave any issues.

These trucks had some weird supply issues. Some of them have LSD rears and stuff that aren't labelled or advertised. If you buy one, start collecting bits and pieces for the fuel system. Getting the little stuff can be tough to get (Read: You'll be without parts for a week if something breaks)

But again, watch for that electrical. And I'm also suspicious of the front driveline getting so bad.

Oh, this also means that if you need to jump the battery to start it, be very careful. Swap out the bad battery with a good one to test, or charge the battery outside of the truck's loop. And don't run it without a battery attached.

Those are nice rigs. I'd do some number crunching and figure out what it will cost for you to get it up to speed. Sounds like they're very hard on cars and don't take care of stuff. Beware of that alone.

I have an 02... different body, different motor.. mine is the 3.4 v6 only 2wd tho :(... can't go wrong w/ a T4R

Do u know if its 4wd?

4runner > Dakota

Only way I would get the 4r is if it was 4wd

As a professional auto technician I would recommend new tires, all fluids and filters. Take a good hard look at the brakes and electrical systems. Odds are the battery is toast from sitting that long.

Than there is the axle issue, it is fixable but kind of a pita, but it begs the question why did the axle fail? odds are that the vehicle has been drivin hard and put away wet for most of its life.

Long story short, 4 runners are great rigs but like anything they need to be taken care of and that can run into allot of time and money.

they look good laid out. for instance:

bonspeed_Wheels_Quasar_4runner.jpg

No car, or anything with curves, should be painted "Flesh".

If I take my glasses off it's like looking at a picture of Rosie O'donnell showing off her new tattoo in some skeezy boudoir photo.

Barf.

Timing belt and water pump were probably never done and are due.

I have the same 4.7. I have no complaints and all I here is good things about them.

Next time I see them I'm going to offer $2500 cold hard cash. I think they could use the money. It is definitely 4x4. The interior and exterior are actually in great shape. Basically the boot tore on the half shaft and they did nothing to fix it till after the entire shaft failed.

Do these have the same rust issues as the Taco's? The frame looks great. The lower rad support looks a little crusty.

I'm kinda curious how they already blew the tranny in the Fusion. That's pretty impressive. Love the first picture btw ^

Try and get it for cheap and 4wheel the shit out of it..lol

I remember going to the dealer to look at a new one of these things. It was something like $35,000.

Back