What do you know about Boulder, Colorado? Thinking about moving there..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phyregod

!!YTINASNI
The subject sums it up. I'm considering a move from Central Texas to Boulder, Co.

Texas isn't a bad place to live, its grown on me quite a bit. Considered a move to Austin, (Love Austin) but I want Mountains and snow and seasons. Boulder's stats read very well. Low crime rate, good economy, health, lots of jobs, but super expensive to live there.

However, reading stats and looking at pics is a great way to get fed the information they want you to have.

Anyone have real world experience in Boulder? Live there? etc?

I've been back and forth to Colorado pretty frequently the last two years, with racing at PPIHC, both for testing and during race week...probably spent a total of 3 months there since 2011. Colorado in general is a lot like Austin. It's a cool place to visit, cool place to hang out, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Best way I could sum it up would be 'Austin mixed with backwoods Oklahoma'.

I lived in Aurora for a couple of years as a little phyregod. I remember snow forts and snowball fights and hiking and all kinds of awesome kid stuff. The neighborhood kids had a large volcano shaped hill to play on. Summer was cave building and adventure, winter was snow sports. Just loved it. Great for the kiddos, but I don't remember anything adult-like. Bills, housing, etc. Didn't have to think about any of that as a kid.

If you can afford to live in Boulder it really is a great place. It has a degree of that funky Austin feel, but also feels small town compared to Austin.

There's a really great farmer's market on Wednesdays and Saturdays throughout the summer. Pearl St Mall has a lot of good shops and restaurants. Remember it is a college town, so there are quite a few students in town between fall and spring.

Lots of great restaurants all over town. Boulder really is great for easy access to the mountains. There's all sorts of outdoor activities in Boulder, Eldorado, and Coal Creek Canyons. You can literally bike from town into Boulder Canyon.

For snow sports, Eldora Ski area is only about 45 minutes from town and there is almost never any traffic getting up there unlike I-70 getting into Summit County. However if you want to get up into Summit County, you've got Highway 93 which is an 18 mile nearly straight shot down through Golden and onto I-70.

For areas, I'd stay away from the areas just east of the CU campus. Boulder on the whole is a very safe city, but east of campus is where a lot of the student houses are and it can be a little shady.

If you want to get a little more for your money on the housing front, consider other towns close by like Superior and Louisville. They're not quite as close to the mountains, but still great options.

Also another town that is right next to the foothills that isn't quite as expensive as Boulder is Golden. My parents live there and absolutely love it.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I've lived in the region for almost 20 years now.

Also another town that is right next to the foothills that isn't quite as expensive as Boulder is Golden. My parents live there and absolutely love it.
You could get fresh Coors Original straight from the brewery. I think your decision is made...

You could get fresh Coors Original straight from the brewery. I think your decision is made...

Haha this is true. I try to make it to the brewery a couple times a year to take advantage of the three free drinks you get afterwards.

Speaking of beer...the Denver/Boulder/Ft. Collins area in my mind is the best part of the country for beer. Boulder proper has Avery, Boulder Beer, Twisted Pine, and Walnut Brewers. Then within an hours drive you've got Coors, Anheiser Busch, Left Hand, Odell's, Oskar Blues, New Belguim, Dry Dock, and probably 40+ more.

I was being somewhat sarcastic, haha. I like Coors Original, but if I was in that area, it wouldn't be what I was drinking.

I'd love to visit Fort Collins Brewery. They are one of maybe 10-15 breweries that I just trust and will buy anything they make. Their Kidd Black Lager is one of the best beers I have every tasted.

We're looking to move in about a year. Renting at first. No sense in diving right into a home purchase. I thought about hitting one of the "suburbs" such as Superior or Louisville, among others just be able to afford a larger home. I need a 4 bedroom, and that is $2400/mo+ in Boulder. (assuming you can actually find one). But the whole point is to live in Boulder proper, as to enjoy the city, have a close college that is worth a damn for the kids, and of course jobs to pay for it all. I have 4 kids now, raising them in a tiny Texas town. Not the greatest springboard to life.

How old are your kids? Also, as far as a springboard for your kids, I believe it's what you make it, not the public school system.

Your kids won't want to go to school locally if they can help it. Nice thought but don't bank on it.

Don't forget Colorado just list Maryland and New York have pushed hard for changes in gun laws. Personally I want to avoid any state that pisses on my rights.

I have four kiddos between 2 and 9 years old. Its not just the schools but the availability of different types of work. As well as the recreation. There just isn't much to do in our town or within an hour thereof. Having real fun means a 3 hour road trip. Of course, there is always the "Grass is greener" thing. I'm totally done with this town personally. As is mrs. phyre.

Legalizing pot and pushing for stricter gun laws does suck.. I suppose you take the good with the bad. Even if they ban firearms all together I'll still have firearms. Probably carry a lot less often though.

Last edited:
Ever considered Seattle? Its pretty awesome out here. Our economy is better than most. Coast is 3 hours away mountains are two B.C. is only two. Bunch of good schools to choose from.

Not digging the climate of Seattle. Everything else looked good. But the mountains and snow are a big draw as we have none of that around here. I really like that Colorado has four well defined seasons. Texas has Summer, summer, summer, and winter.

There are silly laws all over the place. But true, uneducated law making is scary business. "Go ahead and smoke doobie but don't be catching water in a barrel, hippie!"

Still beats California. :ph34r:

It's how it starts....
it's a liberal controlled state.
it may be nice now, but i have little hopes for it in the future. it's the next cali/new york

Not digging the climate of Seattle. Everything else looked good. But the mountains and snow are a big draw as we have none of that around here. I really like that Colorado has four well defined seasons. Texas has Summer, summer, summer, and winter.

Yeah we got mountains and snow here as well, but nothing on the scale as Colorado. I just visited that area a few weeks ago. Boulder definitely has more character than most of the other suburban towns.

Now that is freakin' ridiculous. I'm amazed to see how our simple rights are being taken away little by little.
I've actually seen incidents where citizens sued towns/states because "their rain" damaged/flooded their homes.

Back