what is your defintion of a sports car?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PhyRe

i need some clarification on this becasue of a dif thread https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?...09&#entry537809

this is my def sports car= a small quick car that car that has handling to match.

now what i mean by this is
small= not something that can hold 4-5 people (the sport is not bobsleding)

quick= somewhere in the 13s

handling= you can accually use/control the quickness

let me know what you guys think

I dont think anyone was disagreeing that the Lude is not a SPORTS CAR, but it is a SPORTY car. If i am on a budget (which i am) I would go for a lude to get my jollies (which i did).

But your idea of a sports car also seems to undercut a large section of vehicles.

Evo, WRX, Supra Yeah those are sports cars

So are vette's Mustangs Camaros and GTOs. Anyone who says those cars are not sports cars probably just dislikes american cars in every way shape in form.

Im not saying i like the mustang, but it is definitely considered a sports car by most of the public. I would consider it underpowered and DEFINITELY lacks in handling.

Sports cars are made by looks first performance second and sound third. People like the mustang because of the name and the image. The stock power is not what i would consider being in the sports car class, but no doubt it is.

Wiki says: A sports car is a car designed for sporting performance. While opinions differ as to the exact definition, most sports cars have two seats and two doors, and are designed to excel at a combination of acceleration, top speed, braking, and maneuverability. Great emphasis is often placed on handling—the ability of the car to remain in the control of the driver under challenging condition such as when the car's tires begin to lose their grip on corners.

A car doesn't have to run 13's to be a sports car, but it does need to be quick and handle. There is no concrete definition, just a set of guidelines.

2 seater, 2 doors, RWD and light =)

The only sports car honda makes IMO is the S2000 and NSX.

cars like the mustang, and camaro, fall under the grand touring category.

I was BORN for this question:

A Sports car is a car that is at home on the streets (Remember, it IS a consumer car) but can also take on a personality on the Track. Ferraris, Lamborghinis - These are Sports cars. They are also Exotic, so a more common Sports car is the Corvette, Supra, RX7, etc. A Sports car CAN NOT be available in a 4 door or wagon version (With 2 doors and a hatch, sure. MGBGT, P1800S,) A Sports car was considered to have only a manual transmission, but the Porsche with Tiptronic is certainly still a sports car.

A Sporty car is anything that can handle corners and accelerate pretty well. Note: This NOT mean it's a "high performance" car, necessarily. Celicas, Mazda 6s, EVOs, WRXs, these are sporty. A Sporty car can also be available in a more pedestrian trim: Evo is to Lancer as SRT-4 is to Neon. For transmissions, remember that the Buick Reatta is an auto-only car, as is, say an SVX Subaru. Both are sporty.

High Performance means that it does it's job very well. An Insight is "High Performance" because it "performs" it's job well.

An Econo car - The Civic, even after it's swap, is an econo car. It's in the design. Be lucky: Insurance rates stay the same even if it's pushing 300+ hp. You need to do amazing things to the suspension, engine and even aerodynamics of the car to make it to the lower echelons of "Sporty car".

Furthermore, a "Potato chip" car is something that is so lightweight it has no choice but to be fast. Elises, Dune Buggies, even hollowed out CRXs and MR2s.

That concludes tonight's lesson.

->Steve

Like I said, it's all guidelines, there is NO definitive design. To say an EVO VIII isn't a sports car because it has four doors is ridiculous, it easily falls into the catagory of fast and handling well. To say a Civic that has 300hp, and five thousand worth of suspension work that is classed with Porsches at a race is not a sports car is ridiculous, and to say it's still an "economy" car while it's sucking down a gallon of gas every eight miles is silly. It all depends on who you are, and how you interpet it. To me, performance (as in power) and handling make a sports car.

My definition is :gives:

Like John said, they are way too many views on it. So there will NEVER be 1 damn answer. The only thing I think a sports car should have/be at ALL TIMES is a manual transmission. I don't care if it's an automatic Viper, you couldn't have fun in one, or at least I couldn't.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Jun 11 2005, 05:02 PM-->
Wiki says: A sports car is a car designed for sporting performance. While opinions differ as to the exact definition, most sports cars have two seats and two doors, and are designed to excel at a combination of acceleration, top speed, braking, and maneuverability. Great emphasis is often placed on handling—the ability of the car to remain in the control of the driver under challenging condition such as when the car's tires begin to lose their grip on corners.

A car doesn't have to run 13's to be a sports car, but it does need to be quick and handle. There is no concrete definition, just a set of guidelines.
[post=511182]Quoted post[/post]​

:concur:

92b16vx
@Jun 11 2005, 05:27 PM
Like I said, it's all guidelines, there is NO definitive design. To say an EVO VIII isn't a sports car because it has four doors is ridiculous, it easily falls into the catagory of fast and handling well. To say a Civic that has 300hp, and five thousand worth of suspension work that is classed with Porsches at a race is not a sports car is ridiculous, and to say it's still an "economy" car while it's sucking down a gallon of gas every eight miles is silly. It all depends on who you are, and how you interpet it. To me, performance (as in power) and handling make a sports car.
[post=511190]Quoted post[/post]​

Just ask your insurance company .....some cars might be considered sports cars that you would never consider......I think the insurance co.'s opinion of whats a sport car adn whats not is the only opinion that counts :p

Originally posted by corvetteguy@Jun 11 2005, 05:13 PM
Just ask your insurance company .....some cars might be considered sports cars that you would never consider......I think the insurance co.'s opinion of whats a sport car adn whats not is the only opinion that counts :p
[post=511206]Quoted post[/post]​

very true :ditto:

But i would class the Evo, WRX, and s4 under the sport sedans. When i think of sports car, i think of the miata.

Originally posted by SiLude+Jun 12 2005, 04:26 PM-->
corvetteguy
@Jun 11 2005, 05:13 PM
[post=511206]Quoted post[/post]​

very true :ditto:

But i would class the Evo, WRX, and s4 under the sport sedans. When i think of sports car, i think of the miata.
[post=511356]Quoted post[/post]​

Is a sedan not a car?

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Jun 11 2005, 04:55 PM-->
Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jun 11 2005, 05:02 PM

[post=511182]Quoted post[/post]​

92b16vx
@Jun 11 2005, 05:27 PM
[post=511190]Quoted post[/post]​

[post=511197]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid:

i think the entire term is a piece.

let's see...

"sports"

plural form of "sport"

sport:

sport Audio pronunciation of "sport" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spôrt, sprt)
n.

1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
2. A particular form of this activity.
2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
3. An active pastime; recreation.
1. Mockery; jest: He made sport of his own looks.
2. An object of mockery, jest, or play: treated our interests as sport.
3. A joking mood or attitude: She made the remark in sport.
1. One known for the manner of one's acceptance of rules, especially of a game, or of a difficult situation: a poor sport.
2. Informal. One who accepts rules or difficult situations well.
3. Informal. A pleasant companion: was a real sport during the trip.
6. Informal.
1. A person who lives a jolly, extravagant life.
2. A gambler at sporting events.
7. Biology. An organism that shows a marked change from the normal type or parent stock, typically as a result of mutation.
8. Maine. See summercater. See Regional Note at summercater.
9. Obsolete. Amorous dalliance; lovemaking.

ok, so lets take def #1.
"Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively."

Therefore, In order to be fully classified as a sports car, it needs to be on a list of some sanctioned competition.

thus, IMO, a sport car is something listed on this website:
http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Lists/2005/stockm.html

Thanks for that list of every car made in the last 40 yrs, B!

:rolleyes:

Definitions are stupid, and only exist to further stereotypes.

hardly every car...

if i were to dwindle it down, i'd say everything in AS and SS classes only.
with BS being the "sporty" as others said above.

a civic is a POS for kids from 18-25 to tool around in, get into cars, and so on.
its the epitmy of a race car by far.

but, they are cheap, easy to build, fun to drive, and are a perfect gateway vehicle... kinda like pot is the gateway drug :p

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 12 2005, 10:22 PM

if i were to dwindle it down, i'd say everything in AS and SS classes only.
with BS being the "sporty" as others said above.

[post=511517]Quoted post[/post]​

There are lots of people here that are found in the "BS" class.

-> Steve

Back