What Should I Choose?h22a Or B18c1?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Gottalovehonda

I have a 1996 honda civic 4doors sedan,and i want to swap the engine with either a H22A or a b18c1 with boost.....i have heard that the car handles better with a b18c1,but the H22a is much faster....

Im no expert in honda..have just got the car,but the 1400cc engine is no good for me...need speed....
So whats the best choice?H22A or B18C1???

Thanks for replies! :worthy:

fuck that... if you dont intend to autoX with the car then look into getting the H22 it will be fine for normal driving... if you enjoy doing a lot of hard corner carving, autoX, road course, etc... then the H22 is probly the wrong choice... either engine will be a good choice... and 4 doors = instant sleeper

I wanted a 4door cause i have alot of people with my all the time and im sick off those seats get all loose after a while,besides....i had never seen a 4door swap before!
Can`t understand whats wrong with a 4door compared to a 2door?

And yes.....im gonna use it for streetracing and tracks!lots of hard driving,so i guess the B18C1 with boost is a better choice then?

Hope to be worhty more answers! :worthy:

Originally posted by 14.4civicHB@Feb 10 2003, 08:20 PM
H22 is faster but you need a new car 2dr or a hb. doing up a 4dr is worthless

Uhhhhhhhhhhh BULLSHIT. Check out my page... it's linked in my sig.

Did you know that they prefer racing 4 door Civics on the road course to hatches because of the better weight distribution? The 4 door is also only marginally heavier than the hatch or coupe in the same trim levels- it's really not any heavier. They all have the same amount of seats, the same amount of sheet metal (not the hatch)- one just has an addition set of door jambs. That's it. And yes- a 4 door is a perfect platform for a sleeper. None of those V8 guys suspect a thing when they see my car pull up alongside them.

:lol:

A 4 door is just more practical, and a bit cheaper to insure too.

Gottalovehonda- if you're looking at track racing in more than just a straight line, you might want to perform an all-motor buildup with a close ratio transmission. If you're running a large turbo setup, the boost spike when you spool will be interesting at the road course, and you'll probably have heat soak problems. On the road course, all-motor is the way to go... in my opinion. A small turbo setup is good too, since it has low lag and a more consistent power curve, but it'll cost you just as much or more than a crazy (but still streetable) all-motor build. Think about which kind of racing you want to participate in more- if drag and street, go for the big turbo.

:lol:

Yes,thats just what i mean....who would think a 4door civic would have made a swap?

Im going for the B18C1 engine then....im only gonna put a small turbo in it...14psi i think,
But i also thought about bying the B18C5 type-r with 200hp original and upgrade pistons,rods and connect a nitrious kit on it!no turbo ofcourse.....

type R swap is a much better choice for road course than INSERT MOTOR HERE turbo

Okey,i know i can push a good deal of hp out of a B18C5 if i put enough dollars in it,i have heard that you can get 300hp out of it with N/A tuning....if this i true i dont know,but it could be cool to have....would have parked my friends mazda 323gtr turbo!lol...im so sick him bragging about that car.... :sleep:

The car handling would be better with a type-r?wouldnt it?and this car is more for road use than track use...maybe go on tracks 2times a year...

:worthy:

it will be hard if not impossible to get 300 horse out of any honda motor NA.

we are talking 10s of thousands of dollars in work/parts, stroked out, bored out, sleeved, deck plated and so on.

realistically, speaking, the highest NA b-series motor i've seen dynoed around 260 to the wheels. it was a 2.4L bored out crv bottom/itr top end and revved to 11k.

if you want to shut your boy up- thats drag racing, and thats NOT what you seem to be wanting to build this car for. pick one- not both, and you will be much happier with the reults.

Calesta - Thanks for setting 14.4civicHB straight. I was getting all worked up reading his reply, thinking about what I was going to say, then I read your reply. :D

Ya it would be a hell of a sleeper. but everyone in the boston area that do up a four door gets raged on majorly its like your doing up your grandmothers car. and by the way a 4drs weight is alot more than a two door. check yourself . your talking about 2 more door. Have you ever picked up a civic door please. and every hundered pounds is a tenth. :eek:

For comparison:

1995 Honda Accord LX Coupe: 2,822 lbs.
1995 Honda Accord EX Coupe: 2,954 lbs.
1995 Honda Accord DX Sedan: 2,800 lbs. (22 less than the LX coupe! :eek: )
1995 Honda Accord LX Sedan: 2,877 lbs. (only 55 more than the coupe)
1995 Honda Accord EX Sedan: 3,0009 lbs. (my heavy-ass beast :) )

So there ya go. Sedan vs. coupe doesn't make a whole hell of alot of difference....it's mostly in the trim level. And no one here rags on 4-door's, especially when they get spanked by one. I quite enjoy having comfort, speed and style all wrapped into one.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Feb 11 2003, 01:04 PM
I quite enjoy having comfort, speed and style all wrapped into one.

Yeap. Just think about cars like the WRX and Lancer EVO.
They are both four doors.

The 2.5rs (previous non turbo WRX) did come in 2 doors, and I'm a 2 door man so if I did go that direction I would turbo the 2.5.... but those are fast ass cars stock 4 door.

:werd:

There's been a little voice in the back of my head telling me to start saving some cash, start thinking about how much I could get for the Accord, and start looking at getting a new Evo. Sigh. I guess I can dream.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Feb 11 2003, 01:08 PM
:werd:

There's been a little voice in the back of my head telling me to start saving some cash, start thinking about how much I could get for the Accord, and start looking at getting a new Evo. Sigh. I guess I can dream.

I will nut when I see the first person in my town with the EVO VII.

You can get WRX StI's on ebay right now in the states... I'm not sure about the EVO though.

If I had to choose though, I would go EVO (more hp and I just like the car more.)

I'll definitely ruin my shorts when I see a new Evo.

I'd lean toward an Evo vs. a WRX too. I'm not much on Subaru's styling. I know the Sti's are wonderful cars, but the Evo's are just prettier, not to mention faster (as you already mentioned).

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Feb 11 2003, 01:12 PM
I'll definitely ruin my shorts when I see a new Evo.

I'd lean toward an Evo vs. a WRX too. I'm not much on Subaru's styling. I know the Sti's are wonderful cars, but the Evo's are just prettier, not to mention faster (as you already mentioned).

The New EVO VIII on Ebay.

er... Evo VIII? I though it was the VII?

Actually, both are wrong. The official title will be the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution (Evo) 8. For their stateside models, they're going with straight up numbers instead of roman numerals. SCC said they're concerned what's going to happen when they get to the Evo XXVIII. :)

I'd bid on that thing in a heartbeat. Damn, 20 grand. I may have to start seriously looking at what I can get for my current beast. :)

Originally posted by "pissedoffsol"+?-->[QUOTE="pissedoffsol" @ ?)]type R swap is a much better choice for road course than INSERT MOTOR HERE turbo

Yup. :D That's why I'm staying all-motor.

[QUOTE="pissedoffsol" @ ?)]it will be hard if not impossible to get 300 horse out of any honda motor NA.[/QUOTE]

Hard yes, impossible no. You don't need to do all that to get 300hp from a Honda B block. Phillip is already putting down 265whp on a B20/VTEC on standard bore, and Larry is pushing right up against 300whp all motor... still 2.0L. My target is 300hp at the crank, and I'm confident I can get there or get very close, and without doing tons of exotic work like raising the deck height of the block and all that stuff.

[QUOTE="dohcvtec_accord" @ ?)]Calesta - Thanks for setting 14.4civicHB straight. I was getting all worked up reading his reply, thinking about what I was going to say, then I read your reply. :D[/QUOTE]

Heh. That's the same reason why I had to write that reply. :lol:

"14.4civicHB"
@?
Ya it would be a hell of a sleeper. but everyone in the boston area that do up a four door gets raged on majorly its like your doing up your grandmothers car. and by the way a 4drs weight is alot more than a two door. check yourself . your talking about 2 more door. Have you ever picked up a civic door please. and every hundered pounds is a tenth. :eek:[/QUOTE]

What the hell are you smoking? Go get the real facts here... I've already told you that the sedans weigh barely more than the coupes, and here are the numbers to back it up:

All numbers are for 1995 model Honda Civics (my year):

DX Hatch: 2178 lbs
DX Coupe: 2231 lbs
DX Sedan: 2313 lbs

LX Sedan: 2376 lbs

Si Hatch: 2390 lbs
EX Coupe: 2443 lbs
EX Sedan: 2522 lbs

All weights are pulled from Edmunds.com, which I have verified to be the exact same numbers as what's listed in my Helms manual. So there's what... 78 pounds difference between a DX sedan and coupe, and 79 pounds between an EX sedan and coupe? That's 3.1% (EX) or 3.3% (DX) difference, which really isn't much. Hell, even the equivalent hatches really aren't that much lighter, and the Si hatch is missing the power windows that the EX coupe and sedan have. The extra doors on the sedan are really only adding one more door jamb to the mix- you still have the same amount of glass, same amount of interior trim, and same amount of sheet metal on the outside.

If you go with a sedan, you're not significantly heavier than the other body styles, plus your weight distribution is better for the road course.

Back