What tablet/Ipad/Whatever should I get my wife?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chestercheeto48

VIP
Ok Guys once again I need some help. The other day my wife mentioned that she wanted an Ipad/tablet for her birthday in August. She is turning 30 and I thought I would get her something she would use and splurge a little. She is an avid reader, in grad school for speach pathology, likes to use check her email and what not. She has a school issued netbook which she will have to give back at the end of the year and we have a laptop at home as well. She also has an Ipod Nano. I guess I am just looking for options for what is out there or what you guys have experience with. I know some of them come with data plans but I don't want another monthly bill - wifi is just fine.

Sorry I can't be more specific with what I am looking for - I just don't know quite what I am looking for. I do know that I don't want to spend more than 550.00 ish on it if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.
Chester

Looks liike u do...but U need a data plan for an ipad as well

The is always the Kindle for reading

you dont need a data plan for the ipad. you can get them wifi only.

and that galaxy pad looks like they took an ipad and an iphone, slammed them together and added android.

I bought the wife an Ipad for xmas. I'm not an apple guy at all, but she loves it, and the UI on it is pretty slick. The 16gb wifi version is 500 bucks, which is in your range.

She uses it for pretty much the same stuff it sounds like your wife wants it for. If she's happy, I'm happy so it's a win in that regard.

Last edited:
I bought the wife an Ipad for xmas. I'm not an apple guy at all, but she loves it, and the UI on it is pretty slick. The 16gb wifi version is 500 bucks, which is in your range.

She uses it for pretty much the same stuff it sounds like your wife wants it for. If she's happy, I'm happy so it's a win in that regard.

Do you know if all of the eBooks have to be purchased or not? If so how much?

It really varies. Some are as low as 99 cents, some are as much as 15 bucks. From my understanding, the reading selection is much better with Kindle.

Keep in mind the issue with Apple is you only get what Steve Jobs allows you to have.

you dont need a data plan for the galaxy tab
go to best buy and get the sprint version. no required data plan

I got a 3g kindle recently. Its fab.

I don't think the Galaxy Tab is gonna get upgraded to Honeycomb. I'd hold out until the 3.0 tablets come out before getting an android tablet.

I don't think the Galaxy Tab is gonna get upgraded to Honeycomb. I'd hold out until the 3.0 tablets come out before getting an android tablet.

Not really sure that has any effect on the Tabs functionality overall. My girl and I use hers all the time. She probably has 100 or so apps on it already. We haven't had any issues.

I doubt there will be a huge noticible difference between 2.2 and 3.0 overall. The good thing is that when 3.0 comes out, The Galaxy Tab will most likely drop in price.

Back