what the best swap for auto X

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cxjon

i m not really interested in drag racing but was wondering what swap would work better for auto x for my cx..... better yet what kind of motor set works best for it.... i m interested in a gsr swap but but wondering if thats the best swap/set up for the job

NA or small turbo is going to be your best bet. I'd say the GSR is a great swap for AutoX, just be prepared to be owned by the guys that have been running modified cars forever and have more mony to put into their cars than you. (Unless you are one of those guys)

the GSR swap will work well for auto X... it has good midrange power for comming out of turns ... the Type R would be good as well because of the closer gearing allowing you to stay in high RPMs .... other than those id say the B20 with a GSR or Type R tranny would be good it has more torque and if you were to throw a B16 head on that and do some work to it ... that would probly be the best setup

as far as autoX goes though ... you will see larger gains from high quality suspension and brake upgrades than power upgrades ... that and put some serious thought into attending a drivers Ed for auto X

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Oct 21 2002, 02:19 PM
as far as autoX goes though ... you will see larger gains from high quality suspension and brake upgrades than power upgrades ... that and put some serious thought into attending a drivers Ed for auto X

this is the ultimate answer to autox - slow cars with a good suspension and a good driver will win every time over hp.

Originally posted by stpracer+Oct 21 2002, 01:54 PM-->
@Oct 21 2002, 02:19 PM

this is the ultimate answer to autox - slow cars with a good suspension and a good driver will win every time over hp.

Plus no engine work will keep you in an easier class, so you'll be able to place higher and win more often. Check your local auto-x rules to see what class you want to be in, then plan your mods accordingly.

i would have to drive three hours to do it but will find out. i was thinking of going with itr tranny for for better gearing but i was wondering what motor would work best but affordable still

if you do an engine swap it boost you up so high, youll be racing much faster cars. I think that in street modifiyed you can have a swap but i am not sure.

Everyone is right when they say the slow car with a good driver wins. The autoX i went to, this old 80's VW GTI in the stock class was pulling better times than alot of the cammaros and Mustangs. That driver rocked, he three wheeled it on almost every turn.

yeah but my car is slow as hell! i have a cx..... if i had a dx or a si i would leave it alone but i dont so i m fucked. i m ordering h&r cup kit for suspension with energy suspension urethane bushing and shunk2 front strut bar lower rear tie bar. the drop is 2 inches up and i think 1.75 in the rear... i m not worring about camber cuz i was remembering that a little camber is good 4 auto x i heard once here.

hey tell me how the urethane bushings are once you get them on, i am planning on doing basicly the same setup but i am going with progressive springs (bit softer) Some one told me that those bushings are a bitch to put on. Anyone here know for sure?

That is the thing that i am afraid off with my car is the suspention, swap i think i will be able to handle but the suspention seams like it is going to be hard. I want to build my car for autoX too, not straitlining

i still want to be able to beat someone in a drag tho but i really like driving thru turns and what not.

where can i find info about auto X in my state... i live in minnesota and heard there is some in st cloud mn but i live in mankato and i never heard about it in my area

go to SCCA.org .... thats your best place to start looking for info on autocross .... its under te heading "solo II"... there may be links to clubs in your area

also i found this http://www.mnautox.com/openbb/ you should find info there :)

for auto X whats more important... torque or horse power?

is it better to have a motor with vtec or with out?

i am still kind of a rookie but i am going to have to say tourqe. Tourqe is what helps you pull through the courners. If you are going na then vtec, if turbo than go without.

When you autoX you bearly ever shift, (basicly 1st then 2nd for most of the race, 3rd if you are a good driver and can get speed and back down to first if your syncros work (mine dont so i just kept it in second.)

Originally posted by 92CivicCx@Oct 21 2002, 07:32 PM
for auto X whats more important... torque or horse power?

is it better to have a motor with vtec or with out?

id say go with VTEC ... it lets you drag the gear out further ( not as much shifting once your up in your power range )...keep yur RPMs high with good shifting and youll be fine... learn heel toe braking and youll hit the corners smoother ( with higher speed )... as far as whats more important, neither really is ... its all about braking for the corner later and making the corners as fast as possible and following "the line" ...
get the book "Going Faster Mastering the Art of Race Driving" that is probly the best book for learning technique ... and i still say take a drivers Ed

the best swap for autox? none.

bone stock makes you the most competive.

IF I were to build an auto X'er... it would be a 91 crx si, bone stock with 14" racing slicks. thats it.

when you add swaps and mods- it puts you in a class with porsches and shit- so keep that in mind.

Back