What to do with a 92 DX Hatch?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94RedSiGal

Sorry, not the most exciting of questions....

So swap in a D16z6 (because I know and love it so well), a JDM D15B engine ($435 plus shipping) or build a mini-me with a JDM D15B head (noticed a head in the classifieds for $200)? This car will be my winter beater, but I would like it to go faster and I'm feeling cheap. I need my VTEC and I like using cheap gas so I want to stick with a SOHC engine. I'm also on the hunt for another S20 LSD tranny for this car, but in the meantime, I have an extra Si tranny kicking around. Your thoughts?

Hmmmmm. The cheaper route would be to go mini-me on her. It would probably cost about the $200 for that head, and other misc. parts would be around another $200, and using the good ol' "D-series Compression Calculator" you should have around a 10.105:1 compression using the Z6 head gasket. Not bad at all for $400. But then again this is on a used engine, mine started burning oil around 145k miles so you might not have that much fun on it for long if you're serious about the car.
The D15BVTEC is a good alternative too. I'm running one and the low end torque is amazing on it for a 1.5L, good rod/stroke ratio too. Keeps up with the B16 powered EF's and EG's so i'm happy with it.
So it really depends on what you're going to use the car for. Is it going to be a beater like you said or is this a car you plan on keeping for a while and putting money into later? If it's a beater, do the mini-me. If not, drop the new engine in and have fun for another 100k miles B)
Great to see you support the D, you have more fun when you're single. :p

both should run fine even on the shitty Cali gas. I've had burrito inspired farts with higher octane ratings than this gas at the pumps right now.... :moon: BAHHHPTPTPTPTPTPTP!

fuck, what not to do with that car - I had the same ride :)

budget, FI? NA? goals?

help me out here :D

do the mini-me

get the D16Y8 intake manifold
get some ZC pistons
use the D16Y8 head gasket

Originally posted by JDMilan@Mar 23 2004, 11:21 PM
fuck, what not to do with that car - I had the same ride :)

budget, FI? NA? goals?

help me out here :D

My budget is flexible as... well I like to dump money into my cars. I'd like to keep to a simple NA swap. I want the car to go faster as I am used to the Si's quickness. Goals... the car will be driven in the winter and be the one I go nightclubbing in. So if it gets a little abused and scraped or even taken, I don't want to be too heartbroken about it. I always get emotionally attached to my cars.

Also, I am not that handy around cars, so whatever this project is, I will need Airjockie's expertise and tools to accomplish it. So quantities of beer, pizza and cash will be involved along with the scrounging of the various necessary parts. :lol:

Martine- build a D16Z6 whole outside the car, then swap it in. The mini-me is great, but it's really not that much cheaper... especially when you're talking about swapping pistons. By the way, the 10.5:1 compression that guy got is wrong- you'll have more like 10.1:1 compression with a Z6/D15B head swap. If you want to dump cash into a D, I'm guessing you'll just do it on the main hatch that you're driving now though, so a head swap is probably a good thing. Get a custom head gasket from Cometic or something- they're not that much more than OEM gaskets, and you can have them go thinner to pick up some more compression. Have them go down to something like 0.015in thickness, and you can raise your compression to a hair under 10.7:1. That's really easy to tune on a VAFC with 91 octane.

Use the Y8 manifold like E said and you'll pick up some good power on the top end- use DOHC ZC pistons and a thinner Y8 head gasket and you'll get up to 11.76:1 compression for even more power. I'll bet you could get 140-150 crank HP with that setup easily, with some dyno time.

Cheapest way- just get the head and swap it. You'll still have a fun little car... and if you're going to use it as a beater, strip ALL the interior sound deadening and trim, then recover with a thin layer of felt.

well since you put it that way,,,,,,,I would do the minime

No prob man, i think i'm spending more time on this board than i should. Damn i need another hobby.....or just another Honda to play with ^_^

Get another Honda. Buy my CRX! There's tons of stuff that can be added onto it to make a great strip car...

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Back