What would be the benefit of applying...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
...a patch to increase the number of socket connections Windows allows you to use? The default is ten, the patch I found allows 50, would this increase DL/UL speeds? Generel internet speeds? Page loading?

I know there was a trick to make FF be faster by increasing the maximum number of simultaneous connections, but I don't know what that has to do with Windows sockets.

I don't see where it would hurt?

Well, apparently in service pack 2, there is a system file that limits TCP/IP conections from infinite, as it was in SP1 to 10. The logic is, if a virus was introduced into your system, by limiting the number of simultaneous connections accessible, it would slow the work spreading. I guess in P2P apps, it limits te number of connections you can make at one time, effectively slowing down DL/UL speeds.

I applied the patch after some moreresearch, and it does seem on the ol' buttdyno that it is a bit faster while running BT, and surfing the net.

i installed it... we'll see if i notice anything

I have four torrent DLing, and six seeding and still am getting around the net fiarly well, so I guess it did something.

It might just be the time of night, but I'm seeing pages loading considerably faster.

Back