Whats Involved?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

22crazy

i have a 96 civic ek hatch back and i was wondering whats involved in swapping a h22. i was also wondering how is the gas mileage. thanx

i have friends that put an h22a in a 1997 coupe. they did it in a week, with alot of hard work. and at a shop with car hoist and everything! i dunno about gas milage tho.

best way to check gas millage, go find out what it is for a lude then add on a few miles cause your car is alot lighter.

thats coo thanx....but as the installation goes....what is involved...do i need new mounts...do i need to cut anything....need to run new lines....what is involved in the whole process?

you are going to need a new mount kit. The second generation HAsport is a good kit. They kinda solved the issue of broken axles. Also i belive that you can keep power steering and maybe ac. You will need to either modify you current radatior fan or buy a slim radaitor. your going to have to run wires for vtec. Heavier duty springs are a must. Also alot of people suggest re locating the battery to the trunk (there are kits for this.) Try to do a few other weight reductions up front like a CF hood.

how about fiberglass fenders? or are the fenders already fiber glass? oh yah the axles is what connects the wheels to the transmission right?

fiber glass fenders as in Z3 fenders? Stay away, it is a "Treny ricer" look that screws up areo dynamics and are a 3 year old trend that is on the way out. If you do want to get aftermarket fenders, get carbon fiber fenders. When you have your fenders and cf hood ready, go to a shop and have them paint to match the body. Just a little heads up, (even though i think you have been here for a while) unless it is a company that actually test there products in windtunels (ie. mugen or OEM JDM CTR stuff) we are anti body kit stuff. Main reason, bodykits are trenny one week out the next, and they scream attention from cops, theives and other ricers i mean racers. That is why i suggest you paint all the cf stuff. also oem sleeper stuff looks extremly classy and clean.

Yes the axles are what send power from the tranny to the wheels. The first HAsport kit was known for snapping axles because they made the tranny mount a tad out of place, putting extra strain on the axles. The new 2nd gen kit has solved that.

thanx...i plan to paint the fenders and maybe the hood if i did get CF...but thanx for the idea....as for the mounts....how will i no if there 2nd gen. thanx. Oh yah who makes good CF fenders, thanx.

Originally posted by 22crazy@Feb 1 2003, 09:35 AM
as for the mounts....how will i no if there 2nd gen.

buy the mounts from HASport themselves, they only sell 2nd gen mounts now. In fact most HASport dealers probably on sell the second gen set.

thanx...what about the fenders....is fiberimages any good....any whats the difference in wieght between stock fenders and carbon fiber fenders...thanx

not totally sure on the weight diffreance but fiberimages is pretty good. For the hood, make sure that you dont have to use hoodpins (uses stock latch) and has rolled edges.

how come...whats the difference with hoodpins.....and does anyone no the weight difference between stock hood and fenders to carbon fiber replacement

if you dont use the stock latch, anyone can open your hood. If it is a strickly race car, who cares but it is just a security thing.

sik sik...thanx for the info....but does anyone know the answer to my weight difference question....thanx...by the way is it worth buying the fenders....thats the reason why i want to know the weight difference.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Feb 1 2003, 12:12 PM
Just a little heads up, (even though i think you have been here for a while) unless it is a company that actually test there products in windtunels (ie. mugen or OEM JDM CTR stuff) we are anti body kit stuff.

i know this isn't really considered body kit... most one piece front ends out on the market, and ones being used by alot of pro-racers have not been wind-tunnel tested.... are you still against slapping something like that on?

if your about to say well thats not considered daily driven.... then i already have a rebuttle, i've had multiple friend rolling around with one-piece front ends up in bakersfield, all they did was paint the front end and cut out holes for the headlights.... the cars came out clean looking too...

Originally posted by asmallsol@Feb 1 2003, 01:09 PM
if you dont use the stock latch, anyone can open your hood. If it is a strickly race car, who cares but it is just a security thing.

this is a little late but I don't have latch but If you have a alarm you can get a hood pin installed where if the hood pin is release the alarm sounds if it is activated, it owns all. Comes stanard on good compustar and viper alarms.

the hood pin (on the alarm) idea sounds great untill they rip the horn off the alarm... that will take all of about 3 seconds after the hood is popped.... id rather have a little more safety than that.... they make locking hood pins.... look into those

In case no one else thought of it..

The hood pins will attract cops like mosquitoes on a hot summers night in Louisana.

Originally posted by zueke@Feb 1 2003, 06:05 PM
In case no one else thought of it..

The hood pins will attract cops like mosquitoes on a hot summers night in Louisana.

cops, theives, vandalism, ricers, etc....

its all about the sleeper :sleep:

Back