What's the best engine for a crx 91

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mp3z

hey guys i just bought a clean 1991 crx with no engine and now i dont know what would be the beter in it b16 b18? vtech not vtech? i'm planning to put a big turbo in it cause i think its the best way to boost up the power so whats the best engine that i could turbocharge and get like 400+ hp???
and can we put a turbo on a vtech engine??

thank you for your help

First of all it's VTEC not vtech, it's not a phone.
Second, search and make your decision this has been discussed soooo many times.
And welcome to hondaswap. :thumbsup:

If you are going for drag go with an H22.

If you are going for auto x, go with an ITR (Integra Type R) motor.

Yes, a turbo will work great with VTACHK

Good luck if he puts an h22 in a crx, i have only seen it done a few times, and it's a LOT of work/custom rigging.

thanks for the greeting :D
but i readed alot of post and people seams to put b16 in crx but what i personnaly think is that a b18 is beter for higher power/torque and bigger turbo boost and i'm gonna do some drag's race but i'm making this car mostly for racing on closed circuit and what im thinking is b16 would be a litle too light and i think ima get a little more handling with a b18. and can you help me to kill a myth.. all my friend's and people that i talked of my CRX b18 T project says that vtec head and turbo cant work together and are gonna kill my engine by blowing my valve or something like cause vtec is boosting up the compression and turbo would be compressing too much air... so is it true???

and what i'm serioulsy thinking about is a b18c1 GSR 94 or +, ecu chip, apex'i t4 hybrid turbo, really big intercooler :D (i dont want my turbo to burn up on top speed), turbo intake manifold, cold air intake, turbo header's with good exaust and blowup valve on 16'' wheel to not loose too much power and not be spinning for like 30sec on the same spot when i start :p the engine stock is 170-180hp 127lb torque if i add these upgrade i think i would be able to get like 300+ hp and beat 13 sec :blink: am i?
am i better with a b18b non-vtec or this setup and is there a more powerfull vtec engine that can be turbocharged??(for a crx in a crx 91)
thanks alot for your information :D i'm gonna kick my friend's 1.8t rabbit ass :angry:

Uh... yeah. Go with the B18C1 and turbo that... I guess.

Originally posted by mp3z@Aug 20 2005, 03:06 PM
thanks for the greeting :D
but i readed alot of post and people seams to put b16 in crx but what i personnaly think is that a b18 is beter for higher power/torque and bigger turbo boost and i'm gonna do some drag's race but i'm making this car mostly for racing on closed circuit and what im thinking is b16 would be a litle too light and i think ima get a little more handling with a b18. and can you help me to kill a myth.. all my friend's and people that i talked of my CRX b18 T project says that vtec head and turbo cant work together and are gonna kill my engine by blowing my valve or something like cause vtec is boosting up the compression and turbo would be compressing too much air... so is it true???

and what i'm serioulsy thinking about is a b18c1 GSR 94 or +, ecu chip, apex'i t4 hybrid turbo, really big intercooler :D (i dont want my turbo to burn up on top speed), turbo intake manifold, cold air intake, turbo header's with good exaust and blowup valve on 16'' wheel to not loose too much power and not be spinning for like 30sec on the same spot when i start :p the engine stock is 170-180hp 127lb torque if i add these upgrade i think i would be able to get like 300+ hp and beat 13 sec :blink: am i?
am i better with a b18b non-vtec or this setup and is there a more powerfull vtec engine that can be turbocharged??(for a crx in a crx 91)
thanks alot for your information :D i'm gonna kick my friend's 1.8t rabbit ass :angry:
[post=542874]Quoted post[/post]​

What are you? 16? Work at mc d's? What the hell man?

ATTN: PISSEDOFFSOL.. Our dumbass filter seems to be malfunctioning.

Originally posted by phyregod+Aug 20 2005, 05:15 PM-->
@Aug 20 2005, 03:06 PM
thanks for the greeting  :D

and what i'm serioulsy thinking about is a b18c1 GSR 94 or +, ecu chip, apex'i t4 hybrid turbo, really big intercooler :D (i dont want my turbo to burn up on top speed), turbo intake manifold, cold air intake, turbo header's with good exaust and blowup valve on 16'' wheel to not loose too much power and not be spinning for like 30sec on the same spot when i start :p  the engine stock is 170-180hp 127lb torque if i add these upgrade i think i would be able to get like 300+ hp and beat 13 sec :blink: am i?
thanks alot for your information :D i'm gonna kick my friend's 1.8t rabbit ass  :angry:
[post=542874]Quoted post[/post]​

What are you? 16? Work at mc d's? What the hell man?

ATTN: PISSEDOFFSOL.. Our dumbass filter seems to be malfunctioning.
[post=542907]Quoted post[/post]​

what the hell????? you didnt have your sex for the week?? and you come to push out your frustration on a forum of car tunning?? i'm only asking if anyone know what to do with a crx to make it so powerfull ok?!?!? buy a punchingbag and when you get a burst of hate dont come and cry for nothing over here... and no im not 16 im going on my 20 but you seem to be less than 16...
have a good day and learn to control yourself

what the hell????? you didnt have your sex for the week?? and you come to push out your frustration on a forum of car tunning?? i'm only asking if anyone know what to do with a crx to make it so powerfull ok?!?!? buy a punchingbag and when you get a burst of hate dont come and cry for nothing over here... and no im not 16 im going on my 20 but you seem to be less than 16...

Dude..YOu cant use a cold air intake with your turbo setup...
another thing is, ITS not called BLOWUP valve Its BlowOff valve...lol

anyways.... It all depends how much money you wanna dump on you ride...Trust me If i had the money i would drop a k series on my civic.
I think you should be allright with any B series engine...You'll need to check out hasport and Rywire....

How much are you looking to spend on this project?
ohhh and I dont see nothing wrong by turboing a b18c engine....The shit wont bow up if you stay 5-7 psi and tune, on stock internals that is....

READ READ READ....THeres a whole bunch of info on this site....

ahahah yeah sorry lol blowup valve ahahah i wrote that fast..
but whats gonna be the intake system a regular peepflow? and i got about 7000$ to put under the hood
and if i turbo it ill probly need to get new injector and stuff like that??

w3rd man WTF. Well I am so high I can't stop laughin.

I tell you what? Ill give you 25cents do all of us a favour boy buy a bullet and kill your self.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Aug 20 2005, 07:01 PM
w3rd man WTF. Well I am so high I can't stop laughin.

I tell you what? Ill give you 25cents do all of us a favour boy buy a bullet and kill your self.
[post=542931]Quoted post[/post]​

me?

Originally posted by B16CRX@Aug 20 2005, 08:40 PM
VTEC!

the B16 woul dbe teh best choise. Then build and boost it.
[post=542941]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid: That would be your best choice.....

GOod Luck!

Originally posted by Estorvito@Aug 20 2005, 06:17 PM

Dude..YOu cant use a cold air intake with your turbo setup...
another thing is, ITS not called BLOWUP valve Its BlowOff valve...lol

anyways.... It all depends how much money you wanna dump on you ride...Trust me If i had the money i would drop a k series on my civic.
I think you should be allright with any B series engine...You'll need to check out hasport and Rywire....

How much are you looking to spend on this project?
ohhh and I dont see nothing wrong by turboing a b18c engine....The shit wont bow up if you stay 5-7 psi and tune, on stock internals that is....

READ READ READ....THeres a whole bunch of info on this site....
[post=542920]Quoted post[/post]​

Sorry, but that ISNT true. I made a CAI for my turbo setup. I can take pictures if you would like. Why do you think they sell cold air intakes for SRT-4's and such?

BTW: vtec and turbo WILL NOT blow a valve or whatever your "friends" were trying to crack on you. All vtec does is open teh valves a bit further to help with exhaust scavenging and intake of air. Go get a B16, build it, boost it, do it CORRECTLY, and you should make some killer power.

Sorry, but that ISNT true. I made a CAI for my turbo setup. I can take pictures if you would like. Why do you think they sell cold air intakes for SRT-4's and such?

BTW: vtec and turbo WILL NOT blow a valve or whatever your "friends" were trying to crack on you. All vtec does is open teh valves a bit further to help with exhaust scavenging and intake of air. Go get a B16, build it, boost it, do it CORRECTLY, and you should make some killer power.
[post=542946]Quoted post[/post]​

dude..What i meant was that he cant use an intake that goes to the throttle body, since he'll be using the Charge pipes..
clicky here<--Maybe thats what you mean by using a cold air intake...

My compressor is on teh driver side and I have a cold air intake going into the fender well. :) Since I have that, that is what I thougt you meant. But yea, you can't have the CAI in the normal location.

Here is a pic of mine installed
wMTA0MDAzMDZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

And an unfinished pic of it on install day.
wMTA0MDAzMTZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

My compressor is on teh driver side and I have a cold air intake going into the fender well. Since I have that, that is what I thougt you meant. But yea, you can't have the CAI in the normal location.

Yup Thats what I meant.... :)
GOod job with that CAI...I made one for my 90 hatch...COOL, but mine is facing the other way instead....I should've done it that way...it looks different... :worthy:

ok thanks for the tips ill try to find a jdm b16b type r in good shape and boost it up to the max :worthy:

Back