whats the best head to use?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gunz2165

what head should i use for my LS to turn it into an LS/Vtec? is a gsr a good choice? ive been told that its not the greatest head to use.

I hear a b16 head will up the comp when mated to a LS block. but im not 100% sure

Isnt the gsr head and ls block known as poor man's type-r or is that something else?

Anyway, yea, def. get the gsr head but if your low on funds, b16 head will be ok.

Originally posted by trappd-in-859@Jul 11 2005, 01:52 PM
Isnt the gsr head and ls block known as poor man's type-r or is that something else?
[post=524166]Quoted post[/post]​

no, that is just an LS/vtec w/ a GSR head. a poor man typr r is a GSr block (usually with the type r pistons) and a b16 head.

Originally posted by hybrid89+Jul 11 2005, 01:53 PM-->
trappd-in-859
@Jul 11 2005, 01:52 PM
[post=524166]Quoted post[/post]​

no, that is just an LS/vtec w/ a GSR head. a poor man typr r is a GSr block (usually with the type r pistons) and a b16 head.
[post=524167]Quoted post[/post]​

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Jul 11 2005, 12:56 PM
higher compression
[post=524203]Quoted post[/post]​

:yes:

That, and the p72(gsr) casting is much better than the pr3 derivative heads(b16, ITR). The ports are better, the combustion chambers are better, everything is better. I'd open up the ports a little regardless of which head you get.

ask honda. maybe it was cheaper to use the pr3 cast and just throw in better valvetrain and cams then to use to p72 for what they wanted to do. who knows. but the p72 gsr head is a better head.

ive seen flow charts comparing the p72 and pr3 heads. the difference is so minute and neglable, you would never know. BUT the p72 will always come out on top in power/trq because of the higer compression

Originally posted by brian11to1@Jul 11 2005, 06:47 PM
isnt the combustion chamber volume like 45cc's where as the b16/itr head is only 42cc (like the ls as well)?
[post=524396]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm not sure on the specs, but the gsr has smaller chambers, unless you mill the pr3 head down a bit. The quench area in the gsr is smaller than that of the pr3, and so makes a bit more compression. The gsr ports have a straighter shot into the cylinders, which is good for midrange, but will allow for more reversion at the top end. Bottom line, type R head will be better out of the box, but the gsr has more potential.

Originally posted by brian11to1@Jul 11 2005, 08:47 PM
isnt the combustion chamber volume like 45cc's where as the b16/itr head is only 42cc (like the ls as well)?
[post=524396]Quoted post[/post]​

B16/ITR - 42.7 cc
GSR - 41.6 cc
LS - 45.0 cc

Back