What's this? An electric vehicle that doesn't suck?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phyregod

!!YTINASNI
So I'm reading through my MAXIM this month and stumble across this....
tango.jpg

So what.. Another gay looking automotive abortion. Why I kept reading, I dunno. But then...

Tango T600

Expected retail price $85,000. This is the car that has been designed and built to showcase the potential of Commuter Cars' products. It is being sold as a mostly-assembled kit (less than a day to complete) in order to avoid the time and cost of a fully certified vehicle. The Tango T600 has been built around a racecar roll cage designed to protect occupants in 200 mph crashes. It has four times more protective steel in each door than a typical SUV, for example. It also has 4-point jet pilot harnesses giving ease of mobility as well as outstanding security.

We've engineered the Tango T600 as a cost-is-no-object project. We believe it will rival the performance and handling of any production car. Our current prototype comes pretty close. With a carbon fiber body and other modifications by world-famous automotive engineers, the kit Tango T600 will perform even better.

Features (subject to change)

Performance:

Zero to 60 in four seconds
1/4-mile in 12 seconds
Top speed: 150mph
5-star NHTSA static rollover resistance rating
Interior/Exterior:

Carbon fiber body :ph34r:
Connolly leather interior :)
Sparco seats
A/C & heater
Sparco steering wheel
MoTeC dash
400-Watt sound system :D
Mechanical:

Two Advanced DC electric motors producing over 1,000 ft-lbs of torque :worthy:
2,000 amp Zilla controller with 600 kilowatt peak output
Front suspension: unequal-length control arms with coil-over shocks :huh:
Rear suspension: trailing arm with coil-over shocks :blink:
4-wheel disc brakes :eek:
Cruise control
Front and rear trailer hitch receivers
Dimensions:

39 inches wide, 5 inches narrower than a Honda Gold Wing
8 feet 5 inches long, shorter than many motorcycles, for perpendicular parking
60 inches high, 5 inches taller than a Honda Civic, for visibility
Expected gross weight approximately 2,500 pounds
Ground clearance of 4 inches, adjustable with coil-over shocks B)

WOW.

Cool shit! Why do they always gotta make the electric vehicles so damn gay looking. I swear they would get way more sales if they didnt look so crappy. But damn, it sounds like this one is pretty damn quick!

$85,000!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
are you out of your fucking mind

i just don;t know what to think about that...

gay looking yes...
lots of cool shit, yes...

would i buy it... NO

So, why doesn't the insight have 1000 ft-lbs of torque??

Honda? Anyone? I'm going to do a insight/tango swap.

Recharge in 3 hours.. 80 mile range.. Not too shabby.

$85k I could make a 1400 lbs electric car with all the same specs that looks like a Lamborghini.

How is it going to "perform" when it's as wide as my penis, and the HUGE dumbo doors are full of steel ?

-> Steve

Originally posted by reckedracing@Aug 23 2005, 02:54 PM
i just don;t know what to think about that...

gay looking yes...
lots of cool shit, yes...

would i buy it... NO
[post=544083]Quoted post[/post]​

w3rd

Originally posted by Celerity@Aug 23 2005, 12:48 PM
$85k I could make a 1400 lbs electric car with all the same specs that looks like a Lamborghini.

How is it going to "perform" when it's as wide as my penis, and the HUGE dumbo doors are full of steel ?

-> Steve
[post=544098]Quoted post[/post]​

haaaaaaahahahaha

I'm sorry but I don't think that could withstand a crash at that speed. It looks like it could be pushed over with one hand. Economical yes, but $85,000?? Gas prices are freakin expensive now especially here in Canada, but I would still rather buy my gas than drive that, not only because of looks but I wouldn't feel safe in that, especially on the highways

I wouldn't mind crashing in that thing. Racing seats, aircraft grade harnesses, Built over a full 200mph certified rollcage. And the rollover resistance is 5 stars.. Better than any SUV on the market. Hell, its better than alot of the sports cars on the market. All of the weight is down low. I believe I read that 70% of the weight is within 11 inches of the ground.

This one earns a little respect in my book.. More than any other electric car I've seen so far. Maybe it'll set a higher performance standard for the rest of em. I would be all over an insight that had similar specs. Quite pricey though.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Aug 23 2005, 01:47 PM
$85,000!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
are you out of your fucking mind
[post=544080]Quoted post[/post]​

Seriously..... I whole heartedly agree with this.....

you can buy a vette for 35now that runs 12s.... A BRAND NEW ONE

or you can buy 1/2 of the flinstones car with doors...

1000 ft/lbs, psch whatever

Electric motors make their peak torque at 0RPMS, thats right ZERO ARGH PEE EMS

Useable torque (with the motor spinning at speed) is going to be substantially less than that.

A pair of those... in black.... cruising down the insterstate sharing a lane would be funny. ;)

red x on the picture... but I think it was just a strange angle.... looked only wide enough for one person, but definitely had a passengers seat. Also, why do electric cars have to be so damn tall, like sitting on a bench. If I've gunna do 0-60 in 4 seconds I want to be pretty damn reclined.

i had gotten comfortable to read the 17 replies, but it went faster than i thought. All i have to say is holy shit. You are right about the new vette, but cmon...staying with a vette in THAT holy shit...

Its like than plymoth voyager smoking a Z28..its just NOT RIGHT.

Back