whats with the D series haters?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CiViC_SOHC

Man I have noticed anytime I see someone ask about something about a D16Z6 they are all like...if your gonna put your money into that just save for a DOHC...some peeps just want to do some D-series so they aren't so lonely! I mean shit I asked someone what bore size I should do on my head since im gonna be turboing it and I wanted to know what pistons and rings to use they are all like "if your gonna put that much money into it you might as well get a B-series" whats up with that? lol

i have a 170whp on my D15b-t, my buddy has 140whp na on his d16y7 and my other buddy has 200 plus whp on his turbo y8

i like the D16Z6 i was inches away from getting an EJ.

most of the SOHC haters just love their dual cams too much. granted dual cam is a much better engineered motor, but look at companies like Mercedes. all single cam motors. even the SLR McLaren Merceded is a Single cam. hate on that.

i say, do what you want, and fuck everyone who who thinks its gay. cause there are people out there who think that spending every dime on your motor and no rims or ICE or transformer bodykits are gay. well you know what...... fuck um.

i'm not much of a d series guy, but i have built many of them for my frieds. who says this little motor can't produce power, me and capital high perfomance built my friends all motor z6 and ran 13.4 at sacramento CMI the best thing is it is a nice daily driven car and still kick ass. the money we put in that z6 is as much as a GSR swap.

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy+May 31 2005, 02:21 AM-->
granted dual cam is a much better engineered motor, but look at companies like Mercedes. all single cam motors. even the SLR McLaren Merceded is a Single cam. hate on that.
[post=505538]Quoted post[/post]​

well seeing as how their motors range from v8's to v12's, they have two heads, are you gonna put 2 cams on each head? there's not enough room plus you would need the longest timing belt or chain known to man. 4 cams on a motor, happen not gonna! I'm not positive that there aren't any motors with 4 cams but for the most part there aren't any. so i don't want some dumb ass to say "well these guys built a motor with 10 cams, blah, blah, fuckin' blah"

sihatchback_RL
@May 31 2005, 02:46 AM
daily driven car and still kick ass. the money we put in that z6 is as much as a GSR swap.
[post=505539]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah but for a more serious racer, 13.4 on a built motor ain't gonna cut it :ph34r:

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@May 31 2005, 03:56 AM
yeah, but 13.4 for the price of a stock GSR thatl maybe run 14.4
[post=505546]Quoted post[/post]​

no, what i mean is that a 13.4 on a z6 is is already almost half it's potential, as to where the GSR would just be scratching the surface. To also add, this is my opinion. so no dumb aruguments are needed.

engine_nsx_gt300.jpg
;)

engine_ferrari_c.jpg
:ph34r:

no one says it CANT produce power.
it's just not cost effective in the long run.

you're better off starting with a better platform in the first place.

yeah but there are so many other factors to consider . . . chassi, motor mods, purpose of building motor, etc.

If a turbo z6 is going into a gutted CRX, you may have plenty of power for what you want to get out of the car.

Originally posted by Airjockie@May 31 2005, 03:23 AM
engine_nsx_gt300.jpg
;)

engine_ferrari_c.jpg
  :ph34r:
[post=505556]Quoted post[/post]​

ohhhhhhhh

and I'm spent.

Shit, I can't believe someone would say, "are you gonna put 2 cams on each head?"

Shit yeah! My Q45 has a DOHC V8 in it. The Z32 300zx had a DOHC V6. The 350z and G35 have a DOHC V6. The Nissan Titan has a DOHC V8(beat that Ford, Dodge, and GM!). The Cadillac Northstar is a DOHC V8 and it's been around for over 10 years.

EDIT: Then again, maybe it's just Domestics and Hondas that have problems with DOHC V-motors...

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 31 2005, 08:41 AM
V-motors are t3h weak.

its all about the inline 6 y0
[post=505627]Quoted post[/post]​

Tell that to my Q45. :p

Or maybe my 280Z... or as I call it, the future home of a big-block Ford. :ph34r:

its not opinion --its fact. I6 , horiz opposed, and v12 are the only setups that are balanced designs.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 31 2005, 09:03 AM
its not opinion --its fact. I6 , horiz opposed, and v12 are the only setups that are balanced designs.
[post=505638]Quoted post[/post]​

I know, dude. I just like my VH45 is all. Even if it IS unbalanced. :sniff:

With the 280Z I would have probably kept the L28e in there and turbo'd it, or done a turbo swap or something, but the engine bay wiring is all shot to hell. That and the rising prices of L28ET longblocks kept me from doing that. Plus, the L28 is a sohc engine. I was going to SR20DET it but I'd have to build it up to make good torque. An RB swap is cost-prohibitive.

The bad thing about the stock L-series engines is that in some cases it robs 50-75 hp just to rotate the camshaft. :p

14.4? Stock GSR Hatch? Maybe if the driver weighs 500lbs, and you're rockin 19's.

14.4 is even a mediocre to shitty run on a B16 hatch.

Lets not glorify the Z6 too much here..... :p

Rock whatever engine you wanna...no one is going to hate you because of your decision.....but at the end of the day, when you pull out and wipe it off....the B-Series engine is just a better and faster engine. You get what you pay for.

What about that BeerBongsKickAss guy?

Didn't he run a 12.2 in an EJ with a boosted Z6?

Back