Where Does DOCH ZC ( 3rd. gen.) cam sensor plug into the ECU?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

60sMoparGuy

We have a 1991 CRX Si that we put a DOHC ZC engine in. The question is what do I do with the cam sensor wires? Do they tie into the wiring harness or do I try to plug them into the ECU directly? The ECU is I believe a P-6 OBDO-O:confused:

the sensor on the end of the exhaust camshaft is the cylinder sensor - the D16A6 engine originally in your Si had the cylinder sensor inside the distributor

the original Si distributor has a round 7-wire connector that plugs into it - the wire colors are: WHITE that goes to the Igniter - another WHITE and an ORANGE that go to the Crank sensor - ORANGE with BLUE stripe and WHITE with BLUE stripe that go to the Top Dead Center sensor - BLUE with GREEN stripe and BLUE with YELLOW stripe that go to the Cylinder sensor

the DOHC ZC has a rectangular 5-wire connector - the wire colors are: WHITE that goes to the Igniter - another WHITE and an ORANGE that go to the Crank sensor - ORANGE with BLUE stripe and WHITE with BLUE stripe that go to the Top Dead Center sensor

you will notice that (5) of the wire colors and functions are the same for both, with the difference being that on the DOHC ZC, the BLUE with GREEN stripe and BLUE with YELLOW stripe wires for the Cylinder sensor need to run to the sensor on the exhaust camshaft which has matching wire colors

the best way to connect it is to obtain a rectangular 5-wire distributor connector, with wires, from any 88-91 CRX/Civic STD, DX or LX with the DPFI engine (which will plug right into the DOHC ZC distributor) and mate it to the wires in the Si engine harness, matching color for color of the wires and extend the BLUE/GREEN and BLUE/YELLOW wires and connect them to the Cylinder sensor, matching color for color

you will notice that you have 2 white wires - you need to make sure that you connect the right white wire in the harness to the matching white wire in the distributor connector - attached are diagrams of the wire locations in both connectors

FYI - the BLUE/GREEN wire runs to ECU pin C1 and the BLUE/YELLOW wire rund to ECU pin C2

the factory ECU for the DOHC ZC is the PM7, however, it will run about the same with a PG7 from 88-89 (not 86-87) Integra - you can also use a PM6 from the Si - it will run about the same with the PM6, however, the PM6 has fuel cut-off (rev limiter) about 500 rpm lower than the PM7 or PG7 - the extra 500 rpm does make a difference

Attachments

• DizzyConn.jpg
    DizzyConn.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 2,983
Last edited:
Thank You

Thank you for the answer. I appreciate the time you made for my answer. I will try it tonight when I get home. Let you know how it turns out.:)

Our ZC runs!

Thank you for your help. I finished the wiring last night as you explained in your answer. The car runs and drives and the check engine light went off! That's a relief. Thank you jlicrx for your technical knowledge and taking the time to share with me. That's what car guys are about. :)

Thank you for your help. I finished the wiring last night as you explained in your answer. The car runs and drives and the check engine light went off! That's a relief. Thank you jlicrx for your technical knowledge and taking the time to share with me. That's what car guys are about. :)
after doing 40-50 DOHC ZC swaps like we have, it gets a lot easier

Back