Which audio system would you choose?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

trappd-in-859

If you had a choice between 2-12" mtx roadthunders in a seald box or a 15" mtx 4500 in a sledgehammer box, which would you choose and why? It will be going into an '86 toyota supra if that makes a difference.

TIA for all responses.

I would consider that but the subs&box are only $130. I agree, to much bass is pretty lame so thats why I will probly only keep them at half volume.

basically the 2 12's will create more decible's due to the larger surface area, thats if the are amplified evenly. the 2 12's will be tighter than the single 15, but also how much space you want to take up/or have is also a factor. I have had and heard many systems and so far the best sounding in my opinion has been 2 10's ported tuned to 33 hz, BUT that's not one of your choices sooo...i 'd say my vote goes for the 2 12's.

2 12's dude. I pesonally would have a custome slot ported box tuned to about 32-33 hrtz. You will get greater bass response and deeper bass if you get a custom one. Another thing.....and its my personal op[inion i would go with some other than mtx. If all you want is bass noise then go ahead. But if you want durability and crisp clean sound i would spend a little more on top of the line stuff. Ive heard 2 10 inch JL w6 just kill the competition. Im just not a big mtx fan,been there done that.

First, there's no relationship between woofer size and "speed".
Exibit A: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/TechPapers/WooferSpeed.pdf

Next, I assume the sledgehammer is ported. Since I can't find specs on these things, I'll assume the 15 has more displacement (x-max*surface area) than the 12. And with added efficiency of a ported box, would be comparable to the 12's sealed.

But the 12's give you better options for power useage (4/2/1 ohm, etc.) and better delay characteristics. Along with, again-assumed, lower inductance; they should blend easier into the main speakers.

So my bet is: 15 goes boom, 12's are loud and clear.

Do the 2 12's man. I don't like the way 15's sound. Also, like was earlier suggested. One 12" (properly tuned in a sealed box) will probably be enough for ya unless ya wanna make the car go boom.

I just really hate 15's. They sound like ass IMO.

I hate 15"s, unless they are in like a van or something, it's just overkill in a car. 12"s will sound, as Tommy put it, a lot clearer and more responsive. Hell, I have a 10" Polk Momo in mine, and it's just silly.

Originally posted by TommyTheCat@Jul 4 2005, 08:03 PM
First, there's no relationship between woofer size and "speed".
Exibit A: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/TechPapers/WooferSpeed.pdf

Next, I assume the sledgehammer is ported. Since I can't find specs on these things, I'll assume the 15 has more displacement (x-max*surface area) than the 12. And with added efficiency of a ported box, would be comparable to the 12's sealed.

But the 12's give you better options for power useage (4/2/1 ohm, etc.) and better delay characteristics. Along with, again-assumed, lower inductance; they should blend easier into the main speakers.

So my bet is: 15 goes boom, 12's are loud and clear.
[post=520564]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd: I'd personally go with a 15" and a 10" individually tuned, the 10 for the "higher" low end in a sealed box, and cut the frequncies below like 50-60hz, and let the 15 take care of the rumble at the lower end, in a ported or tuned box of some sort. I'm not a sound engineer, so I couldn't tell you specifics, but the 15"s are going to be a lot less responsive, and waste a lot of power at the higher frequencies moving that much cone back and forth.

The 15'' sledgehammer box is a ported box specifically designed to handle the 4500-9500 series mtx sub. If anybody has heard that song "grind on me" or whatever its called, thats the song I tested the 15 out on and it sounded pretty good.

Its gonna be a real tough choice for me because the 15 had more bass and was surprisingly clear and the 2 12's sounded really clear but didnt put out the bass the 15 did, which is expected.

The only thing that might sway me to go for the 12'' setup is it being $100 less than the 15'' setup.

why do people think that they will get better "Response" from vented/ported box tuned low? cause you wont. all you do is increase volume over a specific range while decreasing volume in the rest of the audible "spectrum"

sealed box = better response and cleaner bass.
it also means you dont ever have to worry(well not "ever" but mostly) about going beyone the limits of the box. In a vented box, if you play beyond the tuned range, you lose motor control, which yeilds the sloppy sound. its also known as "unloading"

you want louder bass, with the same woofers, and same power, build a vented box. Want cleaner sound, and a broader range, go sealed.

i like 15s. piss off. lol. i've never had a 12 in any stereo i've ever built. and i've never had a complain about the sound quality or volume (unless its' too loud). 10s or 15s. 12s are just the wuss middle of the road choice.

since i just read the last post, and the 12s are much cheaper, get those. lol

It seems to me the two 12's should put out more bass unless one of the following criteria is not met.... The box for the 12's is not the right size/best size or built improperly. The two 12's are not being properly amplified, or the 15 just has that much higher of a power handling/excursion. Also keep in mind, if the 12's are in a sealed box and the 15 is in a bandpass box you may have just picked a song that sounded really good with that 15" Overall though, imo, a sealed box is the way to go.

I mean think about it, bass is basically just air movement. The two 12's have a larger surface area than the one 15" so they should be moving more air. Of course you're going to have to think of the excursion of each one and the power handling and the enclosures for each setup but, ceterus parabus, the 12's should be louder.

Originally posted by MikeBergy+Jul 5 2005, 06:31 PM-->
I'm not a sound engineer, so I couldn't tell you specifics, but the 15"s are going to be a lot less responsive, and waste a lot of power at the higher frequencies moving that much cone back and forth.
[post=521062]Quoted post[/post]​
If you aren't an audio engineer then where did this baloney come from? A 15 has more surface area so it doesn't have to move as much to displace the air required to play an 80hz tone at the same spl as a 10. This can be said at any freq, that's why 15's go lower, the ability to displace the most air.

E-dogg
@Jul 5 2005, 09:50 PM
I mean think about it, bass is basically just air movement. The two 12's have a larger surface area than the one 15" so they should be moving more air. Of course you're going to have to think of the excursion of each one and the power handling and the enclosures for each setup but, ceterus parabus, the 12's should be louder.
[post=521168]Quoted post[/post]​

E-dogg, you must consider the 15 has 75-80% of the surface area of the 12's, higher series=more xmax or throw, and we add in the ports' contribution---->ergo, vis-a-vis......we have effectivly the same displacement or more for the 15.

Also, the ported box should have a peak in its response so it is percievably louder. Psychoacoutics play a major role in any sound application.

Originally posted by trappd-in-859@Jul 5 2005, 08:59 PM
Its gonna be a real tough choice for me because the 15 had more bass and was surprisingly clear and the 2 12's sounded really clear but didnt put out the bass the 15 did, which is expected.

The only thing that might sway me to go for the 12'' setup is it being $100 less than the 15'' setup.
[post=521137]Quoted post[/post]​

So you've heard them? I don't have much else to say to you now, it's up to you. I can theorize all I want, but whatever you like in the end matters most. Some people love ports, some love sealed; just like some love muscle cars and v8's while others love 4-bangers.

For my personal needs, I would take the single 15. I only have one channel for LFE.

But will a ported 15" be able to get the higher frequecies like the sealed 2-12" would. I want deep bass, but I would also like it to be clear.

What setup would be better for rap/hip hop/r&b?

Originally posted by trappd-in-859@Jul 6 2005, 12:18 PM
But will a ported 15" be able to get the higher frequecies like the sealed 2-12" would. I want deep bass, but I would also like it to be clear.

What setup would be better for rap/hip hop/r&b?
[post=521512]Quoted post[/post]​

A pair of 12's and a pair of 8's if you can fit them. My buddy has that setup in a pair of tuned boxes and it sounds damn good. The 12's provide the boom and the 8's handle the chest bursting punch.

Multiple sub setups (i.e. different sizes) are unnecessary and silly. A decent set of 6.5's should provide enough output down to 80-100hz easily, then your subs fill in the rest. 8's are for midbass in the doors or small subs in the deck/box, not both.

And i can't say what will handle high freqs better, ported and sealed enclosures only change the low-end response. It's up to the driver solely above about 50hz.

Originally posted by TommyTheCat+Jul 6 2005, 09:47 AM-->
trappd-in-859
@Jul 5 2005, 08:59 PM

[post=521137]Quoted post[/post]​

So you've heard them? I don't have much else to say to you now, it's up to you. I can theorize all I want, but whatever you like in the end matters most. Some people love ports, some love sealed; just like some love muscle cars and v8's while others love 4-bangers.
[post=521484]Quoted post[/post]​

Best advice of the post.

Don't knock multiple sized sub set ups though, different sizes will perform differently, as well as the differnt types of enclosures. Design is an open ended problem, annd many paths often lead to the same results; and for that reason, many different designs and setups yield the same result. But doo what you think is best. For some, 2 12"s might take up to much room, but a 10 and a 12 may fit better. that is a dumb example, but you see my point.

Back