Which Engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicspeed

Which engine combination would be better in a 97 civic 2 door?

a Turbocharged Integra LS with a vtec head

OR

a turboed Integra gsr?

:huh: they are practically the same thing.

but the gsr motor with the turbo would be easier b/c you dont need to go out and buy a seperate head and put it on there. its pretty much what you have, if you already have a ls block, you dont really need vtec to turbo it.

if you have a civic ... unless you already have an LS swap there is no point in doing an LSVTEC ... it will cost you more than the GSR would .... and then you have the reliability issue of how well it was put together

id say either turbo the LS or get the GSR and turbo that dont waste your time and money building an LSVTEC and boosting it

i say ls/vtec/turbo if you have the time, ability and cash. just cuz when you build the ls/vtec you could use a b16 head, which is a better head than the gsr. also, the ls block has slightly more displacement than the gsr block. but make sure you put a block girdle (sp?) on the ls block.

for the extra money that he will spend to do a LSVTEC setup without starting off with a LS engine he can get the GSR head PnP'd to flow better than the B16 head (the B16 head doesnt flow that much better to begin with anyway)... he will already have the block girdle... he will have a better tranny (GSR > LS)... if he gets a JDM GSR he can get it with an LSD.... the GSR has oil squirters that keep everything lubed better(added reliability)

if added displacement is a reason to do the LSVTEC just start off with a B20 or a 84mm+ sleeved gsr
the ONLY reason to do an LSVTEC is if you ALREADY have the LS

GSR.

If your boosting, that little extra displacement for the LS/VTEC isnt nearly as important as proper tunning, suspension, tires, driving etc.

Rather then focusing on peak numbers try to make a good amount of TQ over the entire RPM range and be able to deliver that power to the ground effectively.

the b16 head also takes about .2 off of the CR. not to mention that that the LS has a much lower compression to start with. it really depends on if this guy is gonna replace internals, sleeve it, pnp or whatever. for boost, i'd take a stock ls/vtec with a b16 head over a stock JDM gsr any day because of the CR differance. the jdm gsr is 10.6:1 compared to the ls/vtec with a b16 head at about 9.0:1. plus you get a 'lil more displacement... it may just be a bit, but every bit counts. but if he's gonna rebuild the whole engine anyways... it's not gonna matter, he's gonna be spendin' 10k+ and either one will be pleanty fast.

it's really a hard choice. I've seen LS turbo and GSR turbo and both runs pretty good. The thing about LS/VTEC turbo is that they blow out during high revs more than 8200. i've seen it many times at the drap strips and myself, experience it too. The LS Turbo, if built to right specifications, can run really nice. my brothers CRX LS turbo pulls out most civic h22a turbo. I, sometime, can't keep up with him in my eg6 b18c n/a. but the gsr turbo is another good application. with only a small boost, those monsters can be smokin.

Ls/VTEC will give u more compression.. It has more compression the GSR itself...If u want to go Turbo I recommend getting just the LS motor and Turbocharge that. U can handle more PSI that way.GSR has high compression too. U can still turbo it but I would recommend going any higher than 6-8 psi

Sorry heh I wouldnt recommend going any higher than 6-8psi on a STOCK GSR

stock or built, i'd take the ls/vtec either way.

stock ls/vtec (ls block w/ b16 head) you get lower compression than the gsr, more displacement than the gsr and a better flowing head than the gsr.

built ls/vtec (sleeves, rods, pistons, headwork, cams, retainers, springs) you get more displacement than the gsr and a better head to start off with than the gsr.

if your sleeving it and putting new pistons in then it doesnt matter what the fuck you start with... your replacing it all
both can be built to whatever bore/stroke/compression you want

and the GSR still has the oil squirters to make it more reliable at high RPMs

the LS has a larger stroke... so it will always have more displacement than the gsr at the same bore. and the b16 head will always be better than the gsr head with the same amount of work. so you pick: oil squirters vs. displacement & a better head.

hmmmm reliability or 3 more HP
i think ill take the more reliable one and make up for the 3hp elsewhere

if you wanted high displacement then get a h22. id pick the gsr b/c its already built, no need to add vtec head. and the bigger your stroke for a given deck height, the lower rpm you can rev it. if youre gonna get sleeves then it could be rebored right there to 84mm and youll have 2L.

oil squirters help alot in terms of reliability, especially at high rpms. id personally go with the gsr block. to me stroke should be low, so most of the displacement would be from bore size. the difference between the gsr and ls isnt even that great. the ls has a stroke just 1.8mm larger, with the sacrifice of a low r/s ratio.

MMMMMm H22 Turbo...cheaper motor, more powerful, more complicated swap, but damn de damn, i bet that is a mean set up. Does anyone have something like that on here?? :worthy:

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Apr 7 2003, 11:29 PM
if you wanted high displacement then get a h22. id pick the gsr b/c its already built, no need to add vtec head. and the bigger your stroke for a given deck height, the lower rpm you can rev it. if youre gonna get sleeves then it could be rebored right there to 84mm and youll have 2L.

oil squirters help alot in terms of reliability, especially at high rpms. id personally go with the gsr block. to me stroke should be low, so most of the displacement would be from bore size. the difference between the gsr and ls isnt even that great. the ls has a stroke just 1.8mm larger, with the sacrifice of a low r/s ratio.

ok, sayin' that if he wants displacement than get an h22 is fuckin' retarded my friend. displacement is always good... the more the marrier. but the h22 has too many disadvantages to make it worth it, yet, between the gsr and the ls... there are no disadvantages, you get more displacement for free. so you can't dis on the ls' extra displacement....that's just stupid. r/s is a bunch of bullshit that means next to nothing. if his engine was sleeved with a bigger bore then the ls would have an even larger displacement advantage over the gsr... so i don't know what that comment was all about. again, the only thing that the gsr has over the ls is oil squiters... which i believe the ls more than makes up for. displacement gives power... oil squirters don't. why are you arguing?

Back