Which Motor To Pick?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

supermonkeyboy

i have a 92 hatch cx, my stock motor gave out so i was wondering what i should consider swapping, my two choices are a b18b($2,300 shipped with tranny,ecu,axles,shift linkage) or a b16a2($2,500 shipped with all the goodies just like the b18b) , i heard you can do some things to make the b16a2 a high revving machine, in the long run which swap is better, please help, also do the prices look right? does anyone know where to get a motor for a good price? i live in northern virginia thanks... :(

The prices look about right,but I'd get the B16A siRII from a 92-95 cause of the obd.As far as for your needs the B16A(2)siRII is the better of the two,IMO.Nothing wrong with the B18B though.

Agreed, id go with the b16a2, i love my b18's but vtec is alot better in the long run than torque. even tho torque has its place, its lacking without vtec. b16a is also perfect geometry and u can count on it for alot of abuse and a hell of alot of miles. If u are wanting to go turbo tho, then id go b18b.

thats way to much to pay for a b18b if you look around they can be found for $1500ish.....anyways its the same answer thats always given. If you plan on turbo charging get the LS motor, if you are going to run N/A get the B16

i'd say save some more cash, and get the GSR motor (b18c), shop around you can find these swaps for 3grand plus i think you will be happier with this motor in the long run because you can't make up for the torque you will get with this motor.

i just think it's alot nicer just normal driving in a b18b compared to a b16, like when your driving along at normal rpm and then you go up a hill and it just bogs out.... that sucks so much, then you gotta drop a gear, then chances are vtec will engage then your car gets loud and you look like the biggest asshole.

I am going to go against some people on this one. I would select the B18b mainly because of torque. The B16 does have more horsepower and all but it is easier to make hp than it is to make torque. If you do decide to go turbo the B18b will handle more boost. You have to get up in the upper rpm range just to squeeze the full potential out of the B16.

Peace*

Originally posted by supermonkeyboy@Jan 21 2003, 02:40 AM
a b18b($2,300 shipped with tranny,ecu,axles,shift linkage)

thats a rip off...

i got my 2000 b18b swap with 16, 850 miles on it for 1500, complete swap. Shop around, you can find better prices than that....call up junkyards and see what they have.

Originally posted by prawjEKt Cx@Jan 22 2003, 12:24 PM
then you gotta drop a gear, then chances are vtec will engage then your car gets loud and you look like the biggest asshole.

lol, i know what you mean, i dont mind dropping the gear to get to my powerband, i absolutly love driving the b16, i love the sound of 9K rpms :) .. i do wonder what people think though when i do that (downshift to get more power), not like i'm really trying to "get on it" but i'm sure it seems that way...

Originally posted by Baker@Jan 22 2003, 12:41 AM
If you plan on turbo charging get the LS motor, if you are going to run N/A get the B16

IMO - I wouldn't count on being 100% happy with an NA B16 if I were you. I know Pills isn't 100% happy with his choice to run a B16 NA. Hell, if you are gonna run NA, then at least go for something that is going to have lots of potential. I'd go with a B18C1 since you are on somewhat of a budget. Then you get the best of both worlds, displacement and VTEC. (Plus you don't have the long gear ratio of the LS)

Originally posted by zueke+Jan 22 2003, 11:11 PM-->
@Jan 22 2003, 12:41 AM
If you plan on turbo charging get the LS motor, if you are going to run N/A get the B16

IMO - I wouldn't count on being 100% happy with an NA B16 if I were you. I know Pills isn't 100% happy with his choice to run a B16 NA. Hell, if you are gonna run NA, then at least go for something that is going to have lots of potential. I'd go with a B18C1 since you are on somewhat of a budget. Then you get the best of both worlds, displacement and VTEC. (Plus you don't have the long gear ratio of the LS)

B16's are fun to drive in civic hatches.

Back