Why are guys in junkyards such assholes?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
Is it just me? I have been to a handful of junkyards around NJ and I've never been back to a single one. Either they just don't have Integras, and are pricks about telling me so, or they are just pricks in general, lying, making up information, and telling me something with work the same when I know it won't.

The reason for the thread was a recent visit to a junkyard in Jersey City. Its right by work, and as I go by on the train or the Turnpike, I've seen some cool stuff that caught my eye. Yesterday I decided to head up to work an hour early and check it out. Here is a play by play.

I pull in and am actually amazed at how organized the yard is. I walk into the office.
Me-"Hey do you guys have any Integras?"
Guy-"What do you need?" (I'm going to go with Integra parts. Seriously, this is always the answer I get whether they have any or not.)
Me-"A few interior pieces, driverside headlight, anything else I see and want, haha."
Guy-"Let me check, I'm not sure.... Ok the headlight would be $150.
Me-"$150?"
Guy-"Yea, that's a $350 dollar light." (Brand new in a box from Acura it is. Not a light that has been sitting in a yard for god knows how long and is 12-15 years old.)
Guy-Interupts anything I was going to say, "We have a motor for that car."
Me-"Which one?"
Guy-"The big one, 1.8 liter" (OK, you're an idiot, but I'll play along.)
Me-"Which 1.8?"
Guy-"The dual overhead cam one. (I give the guy a wtf look) You want to see it?"

He leads me out into the yard, around a corner to what looks like the lawn sculpture deprtment of Home Depot. Engines sitting on the ground, in the middle of the yard. No cover or anything. He leads me to what actually is a GSR motor. But this thing is UGLY. Every hose, line, remaining pieces of the harness are hacked. Seriously, it looks like he didn't have anything to cut and decided to use his teeth. Again, I humor him.

Me-"How much?"
Guy-"I could probably do $2500."
Me-"And what comes with that?"
Guy-"What you see." (Engine and trans)
Me-"Do you have the computer for it that I could buy seperate."
Guy-"Nope, yours will work though." (Moron)
Me-"How long has it been just sitting here?"
Guy-"We pulled it from the car yesterday." (BULLSHIT!!! When I walked in you didn't even know if you had an Integra. If you had been working on one a day prior you wouldn't have to check a computer for anything I asked about. And your lack of knowledge about what a GSR motor is definitely tells me you made up the "$350 dollar light" and just happen to hit the right number. Who knows how much a 94-97 Integra light costs, but doesn't know what a GSR motor is?).
Me-"I'm going to have to pass, in fact, I have to get to work." (I had plenty of time, I had decided I didn't want anything from this yard.)

On the way out though I saw an S2000 which had some front end damage(probably needed a new core support).
Me-"How much for the S2K?"
Guy-"That car can't be re-titled" (OK, not what I asked, maybe I want to build an all out lap car). "But that car has a 2.0 in it. I can probably let you have that one for $3k."
Me-"Maybe, how much for the antenna? In fact, is there anyway I could walk around a little? I saw some old cars in the back I want to check out."
Guy-"This isn't Home Depot."(What was I thinking, Home Depot's sales people are helpful)
Me-"I got to get to work, I'll be back." (When hell freezes over.)

It really sucks. The yard was full of good stuff and some older cars I was going to snap some pictures of. It probably has all this cool stuff because the guy is such a dick. I had $200 in my pocket I had no intentions on coming home with no matter what I spent it on. His loss I guess.

Is this just an NJ thing or are most junkyard people straight assholes? What are your guys experiences?

Last edited:
I think because you are from new jersey you fail to realize that 90% of people from jersey are dicks.. sorry, haha. But yeah I havn't been to a junk yard that was moron/hassle free.. except one, but it is a Honda grave yard only. The guy who owns it is super awesome.

werd.. i got some douchebag trying to sell me a rear disc conversion for $350 .. i laughed and walked away... i always go to the pull-a-part on their 50%off weekends

Around here, most of the guys are like that. I say most just because I haven't been to them all but the ones I've been to, the guys are shady dicks.

One guy had a DA that was smashed from the rear end but it had some real JDM glass lens 1-piece headlights. I was just going to buy them and possibly flip them for a small profit. I asked how much and he proceeded to tell me how rare they were, this and that blah blah blah, so he finally said $500. I just shook my head and left...

:werd: .. i'd be pretty pissed off and a dickhead if i worked there too

I think because you are from new jersey you fail to realize that 90% of people from jersey are dicks.. sorry, haha. But yeah I havn't been to a junk yard that was moron/hassle free.. except one, but it is a Honda grave yard only. The guy who owns it is super awesome.
Where is this place? I have friends in Pittsburgh, haha.

As for pick and pulls, I haven't found any in NJ. That's what I would prefer. Once drove an hour to a pick and pull that had been closed for a year. Yard where the cars were was now a field that needed to be mowed.

My last resort is some yards up in the Rahway area that a friend told me about. Hopefully that are pick and pulls or at least not douchebags.

Theres a yard near my place that has a primo set of some fairly rare heads for my Ford. I asked the guy if he had a price for em, and he replied with a short "No." I asked if he wanted to think of a price and he replied with "Not really." So I said "What the fuck do you even open your front gates for if you dont wanna sell parts?" Then walked out the door.

Ive got an all Honda yard about 20 minutes from me, the guy is cool as hell, (as well as old, hes like 70) knows everything he has in the yard and is really cheap on price. You walk in tell him you want to look around, he hands you a basic tool box and tells you to have at it. I got an Si center garnish, CRX dash clock, and a bunch of little interior parts all for $15.

What a douche bag and a half. Next thing you know he'll be trying to sell you a re-furbished blinker fluid line for your flux capacitor for the low, low price of $1,399. After all, it's jDm y0! :rolleyes:

CT has the worst junkyards i have ever seen, they are all complete assholes and act like we owe them the world for salvaging parts. In CT your not even allowed to look around the junkyard. Fuck junk yards!!!

I actually like the yards down here that I have been to. Nice selection but it depends on what you are looking for as to which yard to go to for the cheapest prices. Like I asked for the price on a complete car harness for a 90 dx (engine, dash, lights and anything else in the car) one yard I called said $100. No problem it seems reasonable, I called another yard and it was $20. A lot of the yards you can bargain with the people too.

Ive got an all Honda yard about 20 minutes from me, the guy is cool as hell, (as well as old, hes like 70) knows everything he has in the yard and is really cheap on price. You walk in tell him you want to look around, he hands you a basic tool box and tells you to have at it. I got an Si center garnish, CRX dash clock, and a bunch of little interior parts all for $15.

This place sounds sick. Is the whole yard just Honda? How big is it?

LMAO!!! that is HAlarious, I'm glad you went just to hear that story. What a moron and prick! And your absolutely right he probably had that much cool shit because he does the same thing to every one! What a shitty way to treat a b18c1 he should be shot just for that!

they feel like they know more than everyone else about cars cuz theyve taken so many apart.

the two junkyards i went to were similar.
the first had a bunch of stupid people, the second had dickheads.

I also hate dealing with people at Autozone or O'Reillys. They always seen to think they know it all because there computer says so.

Back