Why is my RPM guage not working?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ktyr5151

Hey all i have a d16z6 and just recently my rpm guage stopped working. Sometimes it kicks on and then flutters a little and then shuts off. My car is idling perfectly fine with no problems. Any suggestions, thanks.

I would assume electrical connection or at least that is what it sounds like to me. If the wires or contact points are corroded it would make sense that it may randomly get a decent enough connection to move the needle.

I had a bad ground and my tach went crazy.

Hmmm. Well thanks for the quick response everybody i appreciate it. I dont think its my alternator cause my battery died today and i had to pop start it and the battery has been fine since. My tach really isnt going crazy at all. It did when i first started to act up like 3 days ago. And after that day it just doesnt work at all. It just sits there at 0 and doesnt move. Every once in a while it might kick on and then die out again. I had a friend tell me that it might be the conection to the crank because thats where he said the sensor was for the rpm guage. Is this true. I honestly have no clue what it could be. Its not a big enough deal to where im freaking out about to get it fixed its just annoying not being able to see my rpm's. Again, Thanks everybody for the quick replies.

Where would I check if it were electrical problems or a bad connection?

i think you icm is going bad in the dizzy, had it happen to me before

Would that cause my dizzy to fail? What would happen the icm does crap the bed?

it eventually will cause the dizz to die, when it first starts going bad, your tach starts to jump, then it stops jumping and occasionally flickers. its possible its just a corroded lead going to the icm. take it apart and look.. good luck

Back