Why The B16?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

T0mMuNi$m

I just have one question....why does everyone swap the b16? it doesnt have as much hp/torque as even an ls swap, and it is more expensive. Civic SI's are slow cars, so why take the torqueless, oversized D16 over the B18 or H series. I know most will say H series arent good for autocross, but if your like me, autocross isnt my thing. Maybe i just dont see the big picture?

It has MORE hp,less torque than a LS.The B16 is a great engine,that's why,it can turn a lifeless civic econocar into a very quick lil rocket.That's not to say there aren't better,but the fact that it is fairly cheap,has tons of aftermarket support,responds well to mods,and has tons of potential,make it a very good motor to swap into a light chassis such as a civic.Not to mention it's abundancy.

Originally posted by T0mMuNi$m@Jan 22 2003, 01:44 AM
I just have one question....why does everyone swap the b16? it doesnt have as much hp/torque as even an ls swap, and it is more expensive. Civic SI's are slow cars, so why take the torqueless, oversized D16 over the B18 or H series. I know most will say H series arent good for autocross, but if your like me, autocross isnt my thing. Maybe i just dont see the big picture?

What are you trying to say here? The b16 is the torqueless wonder? No shit, everyone and their mom knows that. Does that make it a bad motor? Absolutely not.

The b16a3 has 160 hp and the sir2 has 170 hp. More than any LS swap. True it doesnt have as much torque, but bear with me :)

If you want to bother shoehorning in a bigass h22 in your car, go right ahead.

Bottom line- the b16 may have weak torque numbers but that doesnt prevent it from being a good motor. Chet runs low 14's on a stock b16 motor, and pills runs 14.8, n/a.

Ya i understand it responds well to mods, high abundancy, stuff like that....but your little civic will be plenty faster with any B18. Why not go that route and be faster? And the B18b is cheaper than a B16.... ;)

many reason, it is fuel efficiant, it is cheap compared to others, and they can be modded to make a good amount of power. I am a college student, and i cannot afford what i really want (ITR in my 4th gen), I need to be able to pay for gas and what not. Also I cannot be shelling out everything I have into my car, even though that is what is happening lately. The B16 is a good starting point for those getting into the import scene. I eventually want to upgrade to a B18C or even a B18C5 but i am going to wait until i am out of school.

Originally posted by T0mMuNi$m@Jan 22 2003, 07:51 AM
Ya i understand it responds well to mods, high abundancy, stuff like that....but your little civic will be plenty faster with any B18. Why not go that route and be faster? And the B18b is cheaper than a B16.... ;)

B18B is not faster that a B16.B18C1 is but cost $1000 dollars more,and with that thousand I can by food and pay rent.

and you say shoehorning the H22.....im gonna be putting an H23 in my civic soon and people in the aftermarket world are already making plenty to make the swap mad easier.(HaSport)Harnesses, mount kits, ac brackets, axles, almost anything you would need. And H22 is one of the cheapest complete swaps out there, so for a little less money, little more work, you could be hitting mid-low 13s (depending on driver) seems worth it to me.

By the time you add up all the extra stuff needed to get the H22 into a civic,it isn't the cheapest swap out there.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Jan 22 2003, 01:53 AM-->
T0mMuNi$m
@Jan 22 2003, 07:51 AM

.B18C1 is but cost $1000 dollars more,and with that thousand I can by food and pay rent.

B18B is not faster that a B16
:eek:
Torque is what pulls your car....B16=107lbs/ft B18b=127lbs/ft

Any near stock Civic Si vs Near stock integra, integra will kill it.

My friend has B16 in 92 civic hatch cx, other friend has B18b in a 94 coupe, coupe kills him everytime with just i/e.

Just saying what ive seen and what the numbers are STOCK, not saying you cant mod a B16 to beat a B18b but why not start at more torque in the beginning?

sry i dont know how to quote properly yet :( but i got my H23 from my cousin's lude (swapped an H22 in) for 150 bucks plus my engine, Yes i got a hella deal but thats why im doin it.

Originally posted by T0mMuNi$m@Jan 22 2003, 08:00 AM
sry i dont know how to quote properly yet :( but i got my H23 from my cousin's lude (swapped an H22 in) for 150 bucks plus my engine, Yes i got a hella deal but thats why im doin it.

If your qouting stock numbers then don't forget vehicle weights next time.And because you got a H23 for 150+ your engine doesn't mean that everyone can,I got a guy with a Honda stripyard out here and the cheapest he'd give me a H22 swap for is around $1800 (motor,tranny,ecu).Your buddy in the cx hatch probably can't drive,if he got beat by a B18B in a coupe.

Originally posted by T0mMuNi$m@Jan 22 2003, 01:59 AM

B18B is not faster that a B16
:eek:
Torque is what pulls your car....B16=107lbs/ft B18b=127lbs/ft

Any near stock Civic Si vs Near stock integra, integra will kill it.

My friend has B16 in 92 civic hatch cx, other friend has B18b in a 94 coupe, coupe kills him everytime with just i/e.

Just saying what ive seen and what the numbers are STOCK, not saying you cant mod a B16 to beat a B18b but why not start at more torque in the beginning?

dude, if youre gonna compare shit then at least do it fairly. The b16a has 111 lb/ft

I agree with the ls being faster though, but not from 4th gear and up. I have a bone stock b18b in my del sol, and i beat my friends sir2 swapped ek hatch...he was pulling on me at the top of third though...he would have passed me when we went into 4th

Ya but seriously how often do you race through 4th gear? :bash:

oh and sry about the extra 4 lbs of torque.....MY engine is 107....d16. How does the Rocket building motor only have 4 more lbs of torque than the engine that gets bashed all the time....that has always REALLY baffled me.

Originally posted by T0mMuNi$m@Jan 22 2003, 02:10 AM
Ya but seriously how often do you race through 4th gear? :bash:

oh and sry about the extra 4 lbs of torque.....MY engine is 107....d16. How does the Rocket building motor only have 4 more lbs of torque than the engine that gets bashed all the time....that has always REALLY baffled me.

the b16 owns the d16 in every aspect, theres no question about this...

before I was turbo I looked at price range for my swap and that left me with B16 or B18A/B and from all the people I've talked to who have run them in their cars have run on avg .5 sec faster in the B16 so I went for the B16

SCCM puts it best by saying Torque is for smoky burn outs horse power is for speed

btw Civic SIs are slow they run high 15s take a stock 92-95 Civic with JDM B16a and it will run mid to high 14s depending on driver and tires

also if it means anything when I had a fully stock B16 with LS trans intake and exhuast I could take H22 Preludes with out any problems I've raced 3 of them 2 of them were mid 90s and 1 was 2001 all of them had basic mods Intake and exhuast as with some other goodies I know this becuase Im friends with one of them and the other two have pulled over to see what the hell I had in my car
what does a H22 put out torque wise? and yes I know the prelude is a much heavier car

Jeff

Ya lude is very heavy and H22 puts out 156 lbs/ft....same with H23 :lol: :p MINE ALL MINE

Originally posted by T0mMuNi$m@Jan 22 2003, 02:29 AM
Ya lude is very heavy and H22 puts out 156 lbs/ft....same with H23 :lol: :p MINE ALL MINE

blah...get the h23 in your car and run it at the track...show us the slips when youre done

there is a reason no one swaps that motor in their car ;)

The engine will not be near stock by any means. Forged pistons/rods...resleeved block, fully built head, and 100 shot...eventually a turbo when the green starts flowing. Now you want to say it will be slow? And the H23 is one of the best engines to turbo. Ill post some time slips by this summer.

The argument of which motor is better,blah,blah,blah,who cares,you got a H22,I got a B16 solreavers got a LS everyones happy.Shit I live on the other side of the planet who cares if my motor is better or worse,you running 14's or 12 isn't paying my rent.

Back