Why? Why Do So?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ovcrash

Why that the USDM H22A has 195HP? And that the JDM H22A has 200HP? Ok! i know it's only 5HP more but, they have the same compression ratio, the same engine, the same everything, but one has 5HP more?

I know it's stupid asking a question for this, but hey, why take off 5HP on the car if it's the same motor? Is it because of the polution restriction here in Norht America or something?

Anywas, if anyone has a idea on this, or the true on this please tell me. :blink:

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 10 2003, 12:48 AM
its rated on better gas

when i said that i gt flamed. but whatever yes thwy have higher octane ratings in japan

Wrong wrong wrong. :) USDM H22A1/4 runs at 10.2:1 compression. JDM H22A (non Type-S) runs at 10.6:1 compression. Another case of the Japanese getting cooler stuff than us.

they can put the higher compression in their motors because they don't have the problems with detonation that we do, because of their higher octane fuels.

I don't think a stock lude will have detonation problems due to a change in a few octane points. I thought the compression was ditto, my bad

Hell, I know a couple of guys running 11.5:1 on pump gas with little or no tuning. Wasn't Calesta running damn near 12.0:1 with his CR/VTEC setup?

They can't. Why would you buy a Lude or ITR and think you could run 85 octane gas? You'd have to be a moron to buy a Lude or build a high-compression CR/VTEC and then dump crappy 85 octane in there. You'd deserve to blow up your engine.

if you have a high perforamnce car it just makes sense to buy the better gas, lower octane won't to immediate damage as much as it will over a long period of time

the point is I doubt many stock cars will detonate due to a change of 5 octane - unless your car comes directly with the requirement of 90 or above. But yes, if it did start knocking, that is a big problem

In here Canada, we have 94 Octane gas? You don't have that in US?
We have also 84 - 89 - 91 Octane Gas, at the gaz station.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Apr 11 2003, 11:00 AM
the point is I doubt many stock cars will detonate due to a change of 5 octane - unless your car comes directly with the requirement of 90 or above.

Which many cars do, including a Prelude and an ITR, which is why I used them in my example. They'll see a huge change if you use a base octane fuel.

Originally posted by SixtySecondAssassin@Apr 11 2003, 01:00 PM
higher octane doesnt equal more hp.

Correct, you can't just put higher octane and expect to see higher horsepower.

However, with higher octane gas, you can run higher compression (as in the JDM H22), which does give you more horsepower. The whole reason the JDM motors are higher compression is because they can take advantage of higher octane gasoline. So yes, gas is the answer.

i know you would have to be an idiot to put a low octane fuel in a high performance engine, thats why they lower the compression on engines brought to the states.

they have to make the car as idiot proof as possible. if you ran a jdm prelude motor on 87 octane fuel it would probably survive, but if you did it for 5,000 miles that motor would be junk.

so they lower the compression and performance of the motor so it will be a little more knock resistant when you use a lower octane fuel. that was my original point.

manufacturers wouldn't be able to afford to replace a motor(because of warranty) every time some retard put 85 octane fuel in their tank. :blink:

Back