Will My A/c And Power Steering Make Me Lose Hp?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

flyguy7732

Ok..I have a 89 CRX SI..im droppin a b16a in it this weekend but i have a problem ...my crx never came with power steering or a/c...i would like both of these accessories but i have also heard that u lose hp when u run them on the engine...please tell me if i will lose the hp ..how much i will lose... and if i can keep that by doin a pulley system or what not?...thanx alot

of course you will loose some HP, it is still work the motor has to do to turn the accessories... i have no ac or power steering in a 96 coupe, dont be a wuss. :p

yes, not only from turning the accessories but also the extra weight that they both put on your car, it's not alot, but every little bit counts if you're going n/a.

Yeah, I figure I lost at least 30 pounds from dropping all the crap for the p/s. Unfortunately, I had to keep the a/c compressor there since it runs off the same belt as the alternator. It just doesn't ever get turned on, since there aren't any lines running to it. :)

just measure how long it would be without the AC in the loop and get a shorter belt.... then ditch that shit y0! :)

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Feb 18 2003, 06:12 PM
Yeah, I figure I lost at least 30 pounds from dropping all the crap for the p/s. Unfortunately, I had to keep the a/c compressor there since it runs off the same belt as the alternator. It just doesn't ever get turned on, since there aren't any lines running to it. :)

try that shit in FL, and ur ass will pass out :)

first of all, its a lot of work to put power steering on a car that doesnt have one. I never had it on my crx. no power steering is not that bad. for your ac question, you need an ac bracket for the b16. if you need one I have an extra. they retail for 200. i sellin mine for 150 let me know

Originally posted by Afipunk21@Feb 19 2003, 12:08 AM
try that shit in FL, and ur ass will pass out :)

man your damn near ready to pass out after a brisk walk to the fridge
master of the online pizza delivery order :lol:

IMHO.
yeah you do sacrafice some HP for having an a/c and p/s pump. I'd give a best guess of 5hp loss. which is jackshit in my book. I'd rather be comfy on hot days, and not have to build up some killer bycepts to turn my car , than gain a measly 5hp.

of cousre this is just my .03

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Feb 19 2003, 09:54 AM
I'd rather be comfy on hot days, and not have to build up some killer bycepts to turn my car , than gain a measly 5hp.

i just ripped the PS off my sol... the wheel is very east to turn... a little harder than before when moving (feels much better IMO) and its not even that hard to turn when completly stopped... as for the AC took that off a while ago ... thats what windows are for ;)

p/s is sorta unneeded. If you need to turn the wheel in a really tight spot, all u have to do is lightly let off hte clutch to move a bit, and you can move the tires everywhere =)

A crx is light as hell why would u need power steering?

Thats like puttin power steering on a go kart.

Originally posted by gupta_p@Feb 19 2003, 10:14 PM
p/s is sorta unneeded. If you need to turn the wheel in a really tight spot, all u have to do is lightly let off hte clutch to move a bit, and you can move the tires everywhere =)

:werd:

Back