Windows 10

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Is this a worthwhile upgrade? I get kind of nervous when Micorsoft wants to give something for free.

the free upgrade is only good for the 1st year. So, IMO, wait for a month or two to see what comes out. Like, we all knew win 8 sucked after a few weeks. If we don't get that same response, i'm going to upgrade my desktop.
"Once you’ve claimed the upgrade, it's permanent, and Microsoft will keep you updated for the supported lifetime of the device."

After a little tweaking to the basic image 8 never slowed down my users. Especially with touchscreens.

Microsoft in general sucks, I've always loved linux. I've got a media server running Windows 7 Pro and everything else is running ubuntu. :) My media server has 16gb of ram and windows update service was using 3+gb for some strange reason the other day.

I'm one of the few that really likes the Windows Media Center. So i probably wont upgrade my HTPC (on win 7 ultimate).

but i'll for sure upgrade my Asus Ultrabook (on win 8.1 pro). just wish i could upgrade the ram in this damn thing, soldered to the motherboard... -___-

I'm one of the few that really likes the Windows Media Center. So i probably wont upgrade my HTPC (on win 7 ultimate).

but i'll for sure upgrade my Asus Ultrabook (on win 8.1 pro). just wish i could upgrade the ram in this damn thing, soldered to the motherboard... -___-

Check out XBMC/Kodi. we have it on our media pc, it boots into KODI then we control it with our iPhones. you dont need a keyboard or mouse.

i want something that uses a conventional remote. one remote to control both the TV power + volume, as well as HTPC functions. I can do that with my current WMC remote + HTPC (my case has a built in IR receiver)

I'm probably going to downsize my HTPC functions though. when i started, I was all in, recorded HDTV with my CableCard quad tuner, and have a lot of storage (4TB) internal.

but i dont have cable service anymore. and I probably wont ever again. so i'm going to pull the tuner and probably half of the storage. and make it more just for medium duty gaming and then streaming like netflix and hulu. but I need to find some kind of media center app that will run as an application within windows much like WMC does. I dont want the complication of a dual boot setup (too easy to corrupt) and want to more seamlessly switch between gaming and HTPC.

honestly, if my TV was a "smart" TV with built in apps for Netflix and Hulu, I'd proably have no need for any HTPC functions.

I use TVersity for streaming movies and shows throughout the house. What you can do if you use your HTPC for gaming is install tversity, it'll run in the background and is really easy to set up, then get a Samsung BD-F5700 Blu Ray player. I have those players in every room. I think I paid like $70 each at Walmart, they pick up TVersity automatically, play Blu Ray movies, and have youtube, Hulu and a bunch of other apps. HDMI, ethernet port, WiFi, and a usb. You can pause your game on the HTPC without closing it out and switch inputs on your tv and stream a movie from the HTPC in the background.

I have a blu-ray player in my HTPC. ideally I'd like some software that integrates into the HTPC software too. ArcSoft used to have a program called TotalMedia Theatre, that integrated seamlessly to WMC. you clicked the icon from the WMC menu, and it opened the TMT menu already fullscreen and worked with my remote. but they discontinued the software and it no longer works or is even available to buy/download :(. I could use PowerDVD with WMC but it's not as clean as TMT was.

I use WMC for TV tuning and DVR, so my HTPC will also be on Win7, but my other machines I'll likely upgrade to 10. I've been using it on my laptop with very few issues.

Put your media pc on plex and use a plex app. It does all the library functions you need for media and is very user friendly with chromecast.

Back to the windows 10 part here, not to thread jack the thread jack, lol.

I'm extremely skeptical about the whole thing. I would never do the free upgrade though, I'll pay for another version that lets me have some control over updates and whatnot. just seems like a way for MS to gain further access and control of whats going on your machine. the free upgrade comes with candy crush preinstalled, no knowing yet if there is a way to uninstall it. But, its bloatware like that that I just want no part of. one of the reasons I hate buying prebuilt machines is bc of that. just this stuff will be locked into the OS like a phone and would require some kind of root that would allow you to remove it, but would prevent you from future updates.

maybe one of you guys can clear this up for me: I've read that the new OS will be installed with a locked bootloader and you will not be able to delete it or install a different OS like linux or anything on the machine. I know 8 had this to an extent and you would have to buy a downgrade code from MS or something. This correct or what?

Back