Wireless modem q's.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

95b16coupe

I'm trying to figure out how to link the following

TV
Computer
Xbox 360
Surround sound

do you guys have any suggestions on a wireless modem that i can connect to digital cable? I want to set up wireless internet and an xbox 360 for online gaming and netflix.

i want to have the 360 connected to my surround sound and to internet.

can i use this? or are there better options?
D-Link - Wireless-N Router - DIR-615

ok,.. just hook the surround sound and xbox to the tv.. then the xbox to the router

the xbox will play through the surround sound

so hardline the xbox to the router and use the wireless for internet?

will any wireless router work or are some better than others?

no.. wire the xbox and surround sound to the tv... only way to go wireless on the xbox is to buy the wireless adapter for the xbox

here is a list of compatible routers

Home Networking Equipment

i didn't say that right. so i can hook up my coax cable to the wireless modem, then run a hardline from the router to the xbox? i think there is usually 3-4 ports per router. the tv can run it's own cable to the wall outlet. we have several ports.

heres a little diagram i made.. lol

attachment.php

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 664
is it better to use an xbox wireless adapter than running a hardline straight from the router? the other thread had a lot of people with lag time due to wireless.

edit: must spread rep.

you can run the xbox wired straight to the router, thats the way i have mine hooked up.. i just thought you wanted to do it wireless.. ok, so change that dotted line to a solid line.. haha

i posted a link to a list.. seems to have went down between now and then.. lol... check that link a little later.. it shows all compatible and non-compatible xbox live routers

no, they'll connect you... but you'll keep getting disconnected... it sucks, i've dealt with it before.. lol

probably.. lol... its what i go by though..

i think wireless N is over priced for little features. most of our broadband connections cant even max it out. and for the price of 1 wireless N router, u can have two G routers setup with repeater mode and get far better coverage. however, if you plan on streaming HD movies over your network, then its worth while to consider. besides, if you have G stuff mixing with N stuff, usually the speed drops to G anyway.

as for connecting your a/v i would actually connect your xbox to your receiver and then your receiver to the tv. provided that you have the a receiver for your surround sound. it lets it do all the processing. BUT, if you want to play games without surround sound all the time, you can have it connect to the TV and the TV out to the receiver. That why you can choose when you want surround sound or not but down side is its messier.

lastly, MS are a bunch of pirates. make you u use "official supported" hardware and charge you a premimum, much like APple.. >=(

Linksys!! home section of cisco. Get the one that is powered by linux. works great with my xbox, and it has a usb port - easy set up for a file server(usb hd or flash drive works) I have the N version and stream netflix all the time and it works fine, but wired is cheaper(no xbox adapter needed). It also has NAT that will route transmissions to the right ip faster than the older RIP platform, it works good for streaming video and large file transfers. I only vote linksys because I have had D-link and netgear quit on me, D-link multiple time.

Just thought I'd take a minute to clear up some muddy terminology, which seems to happen often.

Modem - connects to your phone line (dsl) or co-ax (cable), connects you to your ISP. Usually provided by your ISP as a leased device.

Router - Connects to the modem, creating a home network, manages interaction between networked devices, and the internet.

There is a big distinction here, because in the vast majority of cases, if you search for a wireless modem you will probably not find what you are looking for.

You are probably looking for a similar configuration to what I use.

Computer and Xbox connected to Router

Xbox and Surround Sound connected to TV

I use TVersity or PS3mediaserver (works with the 360) to stream movies from my computer to the xbox, which essentially play like DVDs.

You could use a far more convoluted setup, of course, if you wanted to.

Back