Woo Hoo Mah new tools

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TDaddy

Well I finaly got all my new toys. I picked up my impact wrench today and last weekend I picked up my compressor, it came with an impact wrench, air hammer, air ratchet, and a 25' coil hose. See below: B)

s4057a94204e32.jpg

s4057a9592e641.jpg

That's a craftsman 30 gallon, 150psi max, 6 HP max Compressor. It came with the following items.
s4057a971186c5.jpg

A craftsman 1/2" 240ft/lb Impact wrench...
s4057a98fe7f08.jpg

A craftsman 3/8" air ratchet...
s4057a9abcf883.jpg

A craftsman air hammer...
s4057a9cb7ef57.jpg

And a 25' coil hose..plus fittings

But best of all...
s4057a911be705.jpg

I got my AirCat Impact wrench. 1/2" drive 640ft/lbs of tork!! Hell Yeah!!! :D

AAaaaa Yeahhhh!!! i'm all up on dis bitch!

Good shit, I pretty much have the same compressor except the tank is horizontal. Its good shit.

How much did all that set you back? I could use some tools like that!!!

the home depot arond here(my dad works at and told me) all tools are going on sale with in the next month. Im not sure if thats all home depots or just the one down here. everything from wrenches to circular saws to truck tool boxes. making way for new Husky tools.

Might want to consider trading both those impact guns in for the Ingersoll Rand 1/2 drive impact gun that Sears carries... your Sears gun will suck balls, and you could have bought the same POS from Harbor Frieght for about $6- it's a generic gun that gets rebadged by everyone. HF has the cheapest price. The other gun... not nessicary; the IR gun I mentioned before will do everything you'll ever need to do on an import.

I'd also trade that coil hose in for some straight hose. Believe me- that coil will piss you off to no end when it keeps trying to pull the gun out of your hand as you lay under the car.

:thumbsup: Awesome, I love tools!

Originally posted by Loco Honkey
I'd also trade that coil hose in for some straight hose. Believe me- that coil will piss you off to no end when it keeps trying to pull the gun out of your hand as you lay under the car.

That shit would piss me off so much. Hopefully it doesnt have too much pull back power. :lol:

The only impact wrench I was intrested in was the aircat...the other one came with the compressor. Same with the hose and the other shit.

Ohhh... Well, that's no big deal. I guess you can't return 'em, then. Just use the generic one a few times and throw it out after it breaks, and then go buy the IR I mentioned. :)

I had that same generic gun, and it barely takes pickup lug nuts off. I think they meant 240 in/ lb instead of ft/ lb. :p

I have no experience with the Aircat, but from my air tool experience of almost eight years on everything from boats to heavy equipment, you don't need anything more than 450 ft lbs. to take care of ANY job on a car. It could be argued that you don't even need a gun larger than 3/8" drive, but I prefer the extra drive size for safety. Trucks and larger equipment are different, though. However, comparing the size of the Aircat to my IR, I'd rather use the IR- it's smaller, and most likely, lighter, making it even easier to use and capable of fitting in smaller places (you'll see what I mean by that eventually).

I was referring to your generic 240 ft lb gun regarding quality, and as for what makes the IR better, it's for the same reasons that Honda makes a better car than Yugo- engineering, quality of materials, fit and finish, how it feels, how much power it has, how reliable it is, ect...

well...the generic crap was just a lil perk that came with the compressor... wasn't intending that they were all that or anything...just free shit. But about not needing more than 450ft lbs for an import i'd have to disagree. i had a 600 ft lb crasfman that wouldn't take off my main crank pulley...the air cat that i got did....and it was about 40 cheaper than the crafstman.

Originally posted by TDaddy@Mar 17 2004, 03:09 PM
But about not needing more than 450ft lbs for an import i'd have to disagree. i had a 600 ft lb crasfman that wouldn't take off my main crank pulley...the air cat that i got did....

Ah, and therein lies the quality issue... The Craftsman air tools aren't the best. I've taken off many a crank pulley bolt that hadn't been loosened since it was tightened at the factory with my 450 ft lb IR gun. Sure, the Craftsman gun said 600 ft lbs, but did it actually produce it? Here... it's like this... Radio Shack amps say they produce 1000 watts of power, and so do JL amps, but which do you think is a higher quality and is most likely to actually make that power? Craftsman says 600 ft lbs, like a lot of other guns, but if it couldn't take off a bolt that another could, doesn't that make you doubt the torque rating?

No problem with free tools... All I'm saying is that you'll hardly use the Craftsman generic gun, and an IR would have been a better choice than the Aircat, simply from the size and weight issue. Quality and power isn't a cocern with IR, because they make some, if not the best mid range impact guns.

Well to each his own...I paid 150 for the air cat...and i'm happy with it....plus ya never know when you're gonna need the extra ft/lbs...i have friends that have non import vehicles, i'm sure i'll ustilize the extra ft/lbs sooner or later. I'd rather have it then get to that point when i need it and wish i'd gotten the more powerful tool.

i have a husky 500lb ft impact gun(now I actually think 500 is in foward speed) and it took 15 seconds of hitting on my crank pulley bolt to get it loose(and the torque specs are like 110lb ft for the bolt. why the hell would you need 500lb ft in foward? common I would never tighten anything that tight, where I need the 500lb ft is in reverse.

Impact guns are generally 25%- 50% more powerful in reverse due to the porting of the motor. So if it's 500 in forward, it's between 625 and 750 ft lbs in reverse. Then again, it's a Husky, so you never really know.

I'm not a tool bitch. I love Craftsman hand tools and rachets, but when it comes to certain things like air tools, IR is the way to go, and as for torque wrenches, Snap-On all the way. For everything else, Mac, Craftsman, Matco, NAPA... they're all good; whoever gives you the best deal.

is there any real difference besides footprint... when comparing a horizontal and vertical compressor tank??

Back