Worst 2 weeks ever..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TurboRex90

Golden EG
Well last weekend i bought some new OEM style Brembo pads and rotors to throw on the front and rear of my Ef. What was supposed to be a routine break job turned into the break job of hell. First i had to replace my driver side axle.. and they gave me one that had been misboxed, this was the start of my problems. Then i had to buy a new balljoint, and when i had a shop press it in the guy ruined the boot and they had to buy me a new joint and press it again, this time no problems. So i finished up the front brakes and moved to the back. both my calipers were busted to shit and i had to drop another 200$ for new ones. After gettin yet another defective part ( pins in the caliper had way to much play, causing the bracket to vibrate), i finally finished the brake job after 4 whole days of work.. waiting and wrong parts. I went to go for a test drive and was hearing a grinding noise.. i pulled off my rotors to find lovely 1/4" wide groves all the way around the back of both front rotors.. turns out there were missing washers on a bolt on each side... BRAND NEW ROTORS might i add. I wasnt too happy, then again it was my fault. After finishing the job yet again i drove the car for a few days fine. Then i managed to blow out one or more gaskets around my turbo and decided ok ill do a gasket job. So im down to the last freakin bolt holding my turbo in, which is one attached to my downpipe and it siezes up and snapped off inside. So i said fuck it and went and bought new gaskets and upon leving the building i proceeding to BACK INTO the owners integra :eek:.. man i am an idiot.. it put a good size dent in the door and the owner was cool about it cuz i came inside to tell him instead of just hit and run. Well while my insurance dealt with that i bought an EZ out bit to remove the broken bolt. Just my luck the bit SNAPPED off inside the bolt and anyone who knows those bits.. you cant drill through them. I Went from shop to shop and was turned down over n over. I finally got my hands on another exhaust housing and swapped it all over.

In the past two weeks ive spent almost 1000$, caused 1000$ in damage and proceeded to cover both my hands cuts, scabs and scars, atleast now almost my entire brake system is new.. haha

Boy my lifes been fun..^_^

9/2 Update: Well i went to put everything back together had the turbo mounted and everything, went to bolt on two last bolts in the downpipe.. SNAPPED ANOTHER BOLT... no shop would touch it.. so i tried a different type of bit to remove it.. it snapped off inside to. SO i took the housing off the turbo and im gonna go to a shop tomorrow and have it "burned out" as they say. Wish me luck. If it does come out im def buyin all new bolts this time and some heavy duty shit at that and if i cant get it out i have no more money and Otherwise.. i may put the crx up for sale :( and use the money for idk like a Honda Fit, or S2000.. i wanna stay in the Honda field and those two are the only hondas i like besides my Ef.

Last edited:
I only read to where you had to replace the axle (I'm drunk and long posts don't hold my attention), but either way I would have hated to be in that situation when I did my brakes in 07.

wow damn... and i thought painting wheels was a PITA. lol

nice to know you made it out from that! shit, i mean you coulda gone way off and wrecked because of them shitty brakes... consider yourself lucky i guess..

its just not anyones good time..im having trouble with putting the valves back in my head..i waited forever for my damn gaskets.broke my foot and so on..goodluck with all your problems lol

I only read to where you had to replace the axle (I'm drunk and long posts don't hold my attention), but either way I would have hated to be in that situation when I did my brakes in 07.

Haha, I'm stone-sober and I completely missed that he had to replace the axle.

I feel your pain on the brakes dude. I have to do brakes on my Civic soon too. :(

why didn't the shop just put a replacement boot on your ball joint?

and why did you have to change your axle?

why didn't the shop just put a replacement boot on your ball joint?

and why did you have to change your axle?

Axle was poping, was old and needed to be replaced. And the shop couldnt get another boot they ould have had to wait over night so they just got me a whole new joint.

You may just have the worst luck ever but you shouldn't be snapping things like that. 2 bolts have ever been snapped on my Teg and it was by my friend who didn't know how to use my torque wrench.

Next time take your time. Also I learned this trick from a former mechanic. Blowtorch. Heat a stuck bolt and the area its stuck in. Try. If it doesn't break loose, repeat.

And 2 weeks with $1,000 spent and $1,000 in damages? I spent $2,500 with $10,000 in damages in less than 24 hours. Of course I almost went to jail too.

jesus. Well my dumbass over torqed a bolt finishing up the job thats why it snapped. The first time it was coming out but was siezing up and *snap*. Sooo

Maybe i should invest in a torque wrench?

Harborfreight.com -> search -> "239-0VGA" -> buy

Problem solved.

You missed out though, it was on sale for $9.99 last week.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is a stop-gap measure until I can afford to plunk down $300 on a craftsman calibrated torque wrench.

Where are you in MD, I think we've gone over this already once..... I might be able to spare one for a bit.

c-609.jpg

Anti-Seize lubricant.

Loctite 51609 is a high temperature lubricant designed to speed assembly and disassembly of all types of mated parts. Containing a molybdenum disulfide base, Loctite 15609 prevents seizing and galling in a temperature range of - 129 degrees Celsius to 131 degrees Celsius and can be used on cast iron, stainless steel, titanium, brass, copper aluminum, plastic, and nonmetallic gaskets.
(will work on exhaust manifolds, etc.. even though they are outside of the temp rating) And you'll never snap a bolt again.

I feel your pain though. This is the same thing that happened to me and my $200 wheel stud.

Ordered new front brakes, hubs, etc from a 2000Si to put on my rex.. Ebay.
One side shows up with a bent stud. No problem!
Head to the auto parts store, grab a new stud.. It was $2 or $3.
Take stud home, whack old stud with a hammer, pops loose like a champ! Right into the knuckle..
I check around the circumference of the knuckle for a wheel stud removal relief
There is no such thing.
Fuck!
So, I take it to a mechanic to have the hub pressed apart.
He informs me (verified with several sources) that you must replace the wheel bearing when you press them apart.
I drop $55 + Shipping on a wheel bearing from honda. Majestic ftw.
They send the wrong part, not really worth sending it back and doing that song and dance.
Mechanic tells me he can get an OEM bearing for $50 with his discount, and will skip the markup.
"Sold!" I say.
He orders a bearing, its there the next day. It doesn't fit.
He orders another. Its there the next day. It doesn't fit.
He orders every honda bearing available. (he can return for free)
We conclude that I was not sold an Si knuckle, but an EX knuckle. Different bearings.
He replaces the stud
Presses in the new bearing
I pick it up, pay for the bearing and the shop fee
This is like 2+ weeks later.
Go home and install it on my car. $200 later.

Had I known all that was going to go down, I would have thrown some ARPs in there.

Last edited:
Damn, that sucks. But thanks for the info on the antisieze lube. Will look into that.

Good news, my dads got a spare torque wrench im borrowing once i get my housing back. lol Hooray.

If your wondering "why didnt you do that in the first place?" my did lives an hour away, i had no way of pickin it up til now.

Back