WRX Owners...

WRX: Yay or Neigh ?

• WRX is killin' me, Not that great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get the 05 Civ

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

Looked at an 02 WRX wagon tonight - Wanted to know about people's experiences with them . I know a few of you guys have one, and I want to hear about it. I need to know about reliability, drivability, gas mileage, noises and shit like that. I had a friend with an 02 and he hated it, I know people with 02's that love them.

IT's in the same price range that I got a brand new 05 Civic Si down to. This car is for the wife, so I need to know if you would trust the car.

Thanks !

-> Steve

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 10 2005, 04:59 AM
get the saab 92-x. its a wrx wagon with a different face, and its a crazy sale right now cuz gm sucks...

check this thread:
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1272243

basically, you can pick up an 05 for about 19k brand new.
[post=510453]Quoted post[/post]​

Am strongly thinking about this for a second car when I get back home. Being in Germany, I have lost the "wagon is for moms" mentality, as seeing them hitting 250kmh will do that. Plus, I could haul parts in it :)

Bah, I don't even fly till the first week :(

Bah, forget the Saabaru. It's fugly, and besides...it's a Saab. :lol:

Anyway, I'm an '02 sedan owner. I absolutely love this car. You (she) will regret getting a Civic. There are many high points to this car, and only a couple lows.

Highs:
- turbocharged. Duh. :)
- AWD. Again, duh.
- lots of hauling space (for the wagon)
- stock ride is surprisingly decent. It's still a stock suspension though, and benefits from minor upgrades (solid endlinks, bushings, etc)
- safety is pretty decent (oodles of airbags)
- gas mileage is good for a turbo car

Lows:
- tranny is not as good as the STi tranny. It'll hold up just fine to normal driving, but doesn't take well to abuse (clutch drops, hard shifting, etc)
- comes with shitty tires (Potenza RE92's)
- people have complained about excessive road noise, but I've never noticed anything

Let us know what you decide. :)

02 WRX > 05 Civic

Plus someone's already paid the first 3 years' depreciation on the WRX- you would be paying it on the Civic.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Jun 10 2005, 12:03 PM

- comes with shitty tires (Potenza RE92's)

[post=510640]Quoted post[/post]​

shitty tires is right
those are the same crap ass tires that come on the insight... and even for a 1900lb, 67hp car THEY SUCK BALLS
i barely feel safe on them in the insight... i cant immagine driving anything with over 100hp with these fucking things on there
unfortunatly they are the only non-snow tire available in my size in the US :( (165/65/14)
but anywho.... :yes: potenza RE92's are the worst fucking tire on the planet

Thanks for the responses, I'll answer a few now:

Fuck EVOs. I hate them with a passion. I don't have to explain myself, because it's just an opinion.

The Saab9-2 is great. But it's an 05. As far as Saab in anyway ruining it, Check out the braking system that Saab installed. People in the know call it a "WRX done right". But, I don't do re-badges.

STi would be ok for me - But this isn't for me. Truth be told, I am firmly a believer in the Civic and I wouldn't ever consider the WRX for a purchase, even after driving it. It's a 4 door family car. I almost fell asleep.

Road noise in the WRX is very quiet, half what the Civic had to offer. The Forester was like driving a convertible.

If you must know prices, the WRX wagon is $15k, the 05 Civic is down to $16.5k. Motherfucker I can haggle. And the Subaru will go lower before it drives off the lot. The financing on the new car is tempting - 1.9%. But the WRX, being used, is back to 6-8%. Bummer.

It is my opinion that the Civic is just as fast, when driven properly, as the WRX wagon. Stock. I know I know.. it's not an STi.. Stock WRX wagon. Put your guns down.

Story time: The red WRX she drove stuttered while merging on the highway. I have no clue what this is, but I am shying away from it. It has 30,000 miles.
The Silver one we are looking at is an 03 with 55k miles. It has the BBS wheels and may or may not drive better.
We drove a Subaru Baja awhile back with 60 miles on it, and it was leaking coolant.
I drove an Impreza long ago and the transmission locked out 2nd gear .. it had 300 miles on it.
My friend's 01 WRX has a windshield that leaks like a fuckin convertible.
I saw a WRX a few weeks ago, abandoned, with it's front wheel cambered out and it's axle lying there. Don't know why.
No boost gauge ?!
EDIT: At autocross I witnessed an STi FLYING into the woods under uncontrolled and unintended acceleration with the brakes on. He says his foot was too big, and hit both pedals.. But I have a problem believing it would end up 40 feet into the bush.

Thanks for the input - Keep em coming. she'll making a decision tomorrow.

-> S

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Jun 10 2005, 08:05 PM
why not an 01 civic, steve? the ex coupe/sedan is WAY better than the 05.
[post=510929]Quoted post[/post]​

Further Edit: EKs are a nightmare, and a smear on the good record of Honda. That is all.

If I wanted a heavy, underpowered and not-threatening-to-look-at-even-if-you're-90-years-old-Pearl-Harbor-victim, I would keep the Celica :)

Again, not to offend it's not my cup of tea. She's looking at the newest gen Civic hatch, or a Subaru Wagon of one sort or another. She may even get a Legacy (But hope floats, I hope she loves the smaller Impreza more.. that Legacy is the size of the fuckin 4Runner, and will take a harbormaster to move into the garage)

legacy gt
volvo v70r (s60 in wagon form)

i dunno, not the biggest fan of wagons. hatches on the other hand, i could spout off a few ;)

I personally like the new Si hatch. It looks like a miniature Odyssey untill you lower it though. I have a friend with an '03 Si with clear markers, '05 tails, 17" axis wheels and a B&G coilover system. He's got vertical doors and some other shit, but the point is, the car looks really sharp, and it's not really a slouch.

Originally posted by Celerity@Jun 10 2005, 11:05 PM
The Saab9-2 is great. But it's an 05. As far as Saab in anyway ruining it, Check out the braking system that Saab installed. People in the know call it a "WRX done right". But, I don't do re-badges.

its got a different nose and leather. everythinhg else is pure wrx.

STi would be ok for me - But this isn't for me. Truth be told, I am firmly a believer in the Civic and I wouldn't ever consider the WRX for a purchase, even after driving it. It's a 4 door family car. I almost fell asleep.

lmao. are you serious?

Road noise in the WRX is very quiet, half what the Civic had to offer. The Forester was like driving a convertible.

the wrx has much more sound deadening than the sti...

If you must know prices, the WRX wagon is $15k, the 05 Civic is down to $16.5k. Motherfucker I can haggle. And the Subaru will go lower before it drives off the lot. The financing on the new car is tempting - 1.9%. But the WRX, being used, is back to 6-8%. Bummer.

in the end, the brand new 92x will probably be cheaper due to the finacing.
and plus, i EASILY haggled to bump the standard 3yr bumper to bumper for a 7yr.

It is my opinion that the Civic is just as fast, when driven properly, as the WRX wagon. Stock. I know I know.. it's not an STi.. Stock WRX wagon. Put your guns down.

its still a civic though.
it has half the cargo room, the d17 motor is a POS...

Story time: The red WRX she drove stuttered while merging on the highway. I have no clue what this is, but I am shying away from it. It has 30,000 miles.
The Silver one we are looking at is an 03 with 55k miles. It has the BBS wheels and may or may not drive better.
We drove a Subaru Baja awhile back with 60 miles on it, and it was leaking coolant.
I drove an Impreza long ago and the transmission locked out 2nd gear .. it had 300 miles on it.
My friend's 01 WRX has a windshield that leaks like a fuckin convertible.
I saw a WRX a few weeks ago, abandoned, with it's front wheel cambered out and it's axle lying there. Don't know why.

4300 miles on mine, and not a single problem to speak of.

No boost gauge ?!

dealer installed option. some people don't buy it for $329. yes, its that expensive.

EDIT: At autocross I witnessed an STi FLYING into the woods under uncontrolled and unintended acceleration with the brakes on. He says his foot was too big, and hit both pedals.. But I have a problem believing it would end up 40 feet into the bush.

he's an ass clown. I wear a size 12, and most of the shoes i wear are wide soles (sketchers boots, etc), and i have no problem. they are a hair closer than the civic pedals, but it makes heel-toe driving easier. sounds like 100% n00b error to me.

IMO, i think the 92-x is the best buy right now. cheap, you can get a good service plan, NEW CAR warranty, free oil changes, 1.9% for 3 years, or 2.9 for 5

plus, my.subaru.com is the shit :)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 11 2005, 02:28 AM
IMO, i think the 92-x is the best buy right now. cheap, you can get a good service plan, NEW CAR warranty, free oil changes, 1.9% for 3 years, or 2.9 for 5
[post=511020]Quoted post[/post]​

That's another thing... My friend has an L.L. Bean outback with the free oil changes, and in order to redeem them you have to drive the car until the "Service Engine" comes on. He got to 9000 miles before it did. That sounds alittle crazy to me, and not something I would take advantage of.

I'm a big fan of Scoobs from the SVX, XT6 and GL10 / GL10 Brats, but the new stuff I hear nothing but bad about. I started this forum to hear good, and I got some neat results.

I'm amazed to see the Civic hate. The new Civic is the only car out there to turn to if you want a decent hatch (Say "Aveo" and I'll kick you in the nuts"). IT's got a "honda" power quality to it, nice construction materials and good engineering. It's got some bug-fugly headlights, but what nowadays doesn't ? Well, looks like we're off to the WRX dealer today, and unless they pull some sort of trick out of their ass that'll prolly be it.

But my friend bought the Civic Si after me telling her about it. She loves the car, being a long time Civic / CRX person.

-> Steve

Thank you all for your responses and input, it made a difference.

And the winner is...

Subaru WRX ! It came home today. I'll have pics up sometime. For now, it's raining and its time for quality AWD time.

See ya!

Back